Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB not recognised after formatting with car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bringing this up again. When I format my USB drive(Sandisk 256 GB) in the car, the drive gets formatted, but it is not creating a TeslaCam folder.

I get the camera icon with the red dot on it, but when I touch It to view teslacam, the teslacam viewer closes on me, and the camera icon disappears. If I then go to the security settings, it tells me to format the drive. If I click on format, the same thing happens again.

If I remove the drive and view it on a computer, the drive is blank. Once I create the TeslaCam folder, everything works as it’s supposed to. Until I reformat the drive in the car.

It’s not an end of the world type problem, but annoying to have to remove the drive to reformat and create a TeslaCam folder.

I am on 2021.36.8.

Any solution to this?
The solution for me when I had the same issues: a new MCU. And there are other folks with the same issues and the same solution that worked.

Reactions: f308gt4
Thanks. Could you explain what that involves? Were you having other issues as well?

My car is a Mar 2020 build date, if that matters.
I was not having any issues other than USB drive problems.

I suggest you keep pestering the service department telling them your issue hasn't been solved and that there are others with the same issue and it was solved with a new MCU. If you read all the posts on this forum about USB Device Malfunction you will see that there is nothing common about the date of the vehicles nor their location. It can't be a software issue because there would be thousands of folks with the problem. It wasn't a USB drive fault because they were all tested OK. It wasn't a USB hub issue because that was replaced with no relief. That only leaves a few candidates for being the problem: cables and the MCU.

Maybe there will eventually be a service bulletin about this issue if enough folks experience it.

Some folks are suggesting that the car isn't formatting correctly. because there aren't any subfolders. But when the car formats the USB drive it only names the drive and creates a TeslaCam folder. The subfolders aren't created until the car first writes to the drive with video clips.

• Informative
Reactions: f308gt4