Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB ideal capacity and best brand for v9 Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you all recommend for ideal USB size / brand / speed for the v9 dashcam? anyone done some analysis on size vs. hours of recording. I tried to be on the safe side and ordered 128GB USB 3.1 Sandisk. Liked the small profile and 128GB is probably big enough, but now wondering if it will be enough once we get lucky and Tesla start to open up rear and side cameras for dashcam (fingers crossed). P.S. still waiting for my v9 update for x100D, but my car is at the detailer, getting XPEL stealth and chrome delete, so not connected to Wifi anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07855LJ99/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
What do you all recommend for ideal USB size / brand / speed for the v9 dashcam? anyone done some analysis on size vs. hours of recording. I tried to be on the safe side and ordered 128GB USB 3.1 Sandisk.

How big depends entirely on how you are planning to use it. It only keeps the last hour of activity which needs ~1.5 GB of space. You can save 10 minute blocks by tapping the dashcam icon, each 10 minute "save" should take ~250 megs.

So unless you plan on hitting the save button every 9 minutes, or you don't plan on ever pulling the data off the drive, you don't need a very big thumb drive.

Now if they start capturing all 8 cameras, then you might need to get a bigger drive.

How big depends entirely on how you are planning to use it. It only keeps the last hour of activity which needs ~1.5 GB of space. You can save 10 minute blocks by tapping the dashcam icon, each 10 minute "save" should take ~250 megs.

So unless you plan on hitting the save button every 9 minutes, or you don't plan on ever pulling the data off the drive, you don't need a very big thumb drive.

Now if they start capturing all 8 cameras, then you might need to get a bigger drive.
thank you... I didnt know that it only saves last 1 hour of activity. I was under the impression that we were only limited about how big the USB drive is :(