Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban (72kw) SC are not as bad as the ones on the highway for longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all,

I just realized that the Aventura Mall superchargers are starting charge at 72kw and go down to 30+kw when at the last 20% or (last 20% before 90% charge). Does it in theory make it easier on the battery compared to the highway (120kw) superchargers?

So far, 15% to 90% charge takes about 40-45 minutes on 2016 s 70. It starts at 72kw and stay at this level until 50-60% charge and starts declining, before hitting 32kw at 90%.

Thank you!

Moderate C rates in general are healthier for battery charging, particularly in extreme temperatures.

That said even 120 kW into a 75 kWh pack is only ~1.5 C and that’s within a healthy window. Of course Tesla’s temperature management is also excellent.

If one were doing 200,000 miles on two separate cars exclusively supercharging and one were only doing 72 kW on one and 120 kW on the other, maybe you’d see a little difference in degradation. I wouldn’t really worry about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: kerch2007
Bumping this thread back up to see if there's any new thinking on the topic. I know the high rate supercharging has been addressed repeatedly here as it pertains to battery degradation over time, but am curious to hear thoughts on repeated 72 kW superchargers?

Background for me: Just bought a new M3 LR, coming from a 2017 MS. The range of the S when I returned it yesterday was about 275 (vs 296 when I bought it). I have a hypothesis that this was due primarily to the fact that I used high rate superchargers as my primary charging method. I am trying to avoid that this time around.

Experts or "experts" -- would love your thoughts!