Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Upgrade your Model S/X at 057 Tech - More range, more power!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upgrades.jpg

Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

I try not to do many "Vendor" posts, but I don't know if I even ever did one for this service we've had for a while. Pretty sure I've just mentioned it a few other places.

Battery upgrades, motor upgrades, charger upgrades, AP1 retrofits, etc.

Posting now as we recently added official support for RWD 100 kWh upgrades to our lineup. 100 kWh packs are pretty much the only ones that haven't had supercharging speeds nerfed in older cars. As a bonus, upgrades don't affect free lifetime supercharging status! ;)

Check out the link above, punch in the last 6 of your VIN. Get pricing right there, pay for and schedule the upgrade (on or after the estimated date shown for the chosen options), and we'll help arrange transport for your car and make it happen!

Automated system only supports VINs up to 2018-ish, so if yours is newer just contact us (link at top of 057tech pages) with your VIN and trim (P85, 70, P90D, etc) and we'll add it to our system so you can get pricing and such. That said, this is currently mostly beneficial to the older S/X vehicles anyway.

Thanks!

If we ended up with that particular vehicle, and the pack was functional etc etc, we'd likely just use it as a replacement for a customer with an 85 or 90. We wouldn't consider it an upgrade in that sense.

We stopped offering the 90 since, as predicted years ago, all of the packs in the wild have all effectively degraded to at or below their 85 counterparts of equivalent usage, so it makes little sense to offer it outside of a few niche scenarios. (The 90 does output about 8% more peak power than an 85 of equivalent capacity, so maybe someone would want that...) For our purposes, 85s and 90s are the same at this point.

There is also no such thing as "the same price" when comparing different vehicles on our upgrades page, as it takes into account everything known about the specific vehicle. This will vary.

Not really much to be done. We can pull logs and look at pack health at our shop to see if there's anything obvious going on, but not much else to be done.
Totally agree on the 90s 400V, have a close friend with 85k miles with lower capacity than my 85 with 115k miles.
The main reason (for me) to get this 350V is the supercharging speed at a lower cost than 100kWh. Having a regular D the power difference is not a concern.
If you buy that car would love to work something around the battery swap/upgrade.

I don't think there's any practical way to make it happen like that unfortunately, at least not at any reasonable cost since that'd be well outside our normal process. Normally once we physically have a pack, we'd have to put it in our refurb queue like any other, and once it's mostly certain it will pass refurb it'd get tagged to a vehicle needing an 85 or 90 replacement (or upgrade), and in this particular case most likely to something waiting on a gen2 connector pack like an X or refresh S) that's next up on the schedule whenever that happens. We do several per week at this point, so it'd be well outside the norm to try and tag a pack we don't even have and aren't sure we'll get towards an order that we don't have. Not even sure I'd want to get into doing that for a bunch of reasons.

Thank you for the transparency, Jason! I wouldn't have a problem signing for a 90kWh 350V upgrade and wait until one is available to drive few hours to NC to drop the car.
I wonder if even the 75 will be considered an upgrade for the 85 soon (roughly same capacity, better SC speeds).
Will shoot you a PM for when you'll have some time.

I'll have to go over some data at the office on the numbers for the 90 350V packs and see if we can just offer this as a paid upgrade option with a somewhat significant estimate lead time. They're not super common in the secondhand markets still, so we don't come across them very often (few times per year currently), so it'd definitely be a waitlist thing kind of like we were doing the 100s a couple years ago.

Will look into it.

At this time, I can confirm on BOTH my Model S & Model X. My Model S was delivered with a max charge rate of around 115-118ish, hard to remember exactly. 2nd month of ownership (both the above are 2016's) Tesla capped charge rate at 94 kW and when questioned, they said I supercharged too much. At 94kW it was up until the December 26th, 2020 firmware update. That bumped my rates up to 114/115. Not much, but overall, a breath of fresh air. That has held now until recent updates as discussed in my other message a couple months ago. That firmware instantly increased my Supercharging rate up to a peak of about 126kW. Thats the fastest it's ever charged since new. It's been hitting that rate or 120+ no problems since.

As for my MX, Purchased used, it was also capped at the 94kW since before I got it (61k ish miles when I bought it, also 2016). The firmware update in 2019 that neutered the 85 packs, boosted my charge rates to that new 144kW, even if it was only for a few seconds. Then, the same firmware update that increased my Model S's max rate to 114/115kW (Dec 26th, 2020 update) neutered my MX down to 105kW. That was the max. As my MX has FSD Beta, and on a slightly different firmware schedule than my MS which does not have FSD and gets just the general updates, shortly after my MS getting updated and the new ~126kW rates, my MX got the last FSD Beta update they pushed out to the masses. After that update, my MX could hit about 125kW. Though above 50% is dang slow yet. It peaks very quickly on my MX. The MS holds above 90kW once again beyond 50%, which I hadn't seen for quite some time.

I supercharge, A LOT, as well as do a benchmark and record all battery data on my Model S every 1000 miles since new.
Nice to hear an acknowledgment that Tesla is monitoring your supercharging and will f with the speeds as they see fit. The things they do to their customers and get away with is mind boggling. They haven’t done that to me YET. I’ll say I’m on mcu1 and have SEEN speeds up to 130kwh on a 12/2015 build. Usually though, my speeds are around 115 if under 50%

Just to add to the above as I cannot edit my post.

l have had 4 door handles already either replaced (2 of them) or repaired/serviced.

I've also had the battery coolant valves replaced (slight leak).

Other than the above two issues, the car has been very reliable and I'd like to keep it for a couple more years.
Did you have a small puddle of coolant under the front middle of your drive unit ?

I'll have to go over some data at the office on the numbers for the 90 350V packs and see if we can just offer this as a paid upgrade option with a somewhat significant estimate lead time. They're not super common in the secondhand markets still, so we don't come across them very often (few times per year currently), so it'd definitely be a waitlist thing kind of like we were doing the 100s a couple years ago.

Will look into it.
If you manage to crunch some numbers and it gives something meaningful send me an invoice for the deposit :)

Wow! This is just fantastic! So glad I found this thread. I still get around 281 (225 rated) miles of range out of my 2017 (July build) S75 but I will DEFINITELY be upgrading in the future. My car has been the best thing since sliced bread since I bought it and this will make it even better.

Last edited:
It will be interesting if Tesla starts replacing 90kwh failures with 100kwh. I’ve heard reports of upgrades from 85 to 90 but not 90 to 100 yet. This will probably only happen if Tesla decides to stop doing 90kwh refurbs

It will be interesting if Tesla starts replacing 90kwh failures with 100kwh. I’ve heard reports of upgrades from 85 to 90 but not 90 to 100 yet. This will probably only happen if Tesla decides to stop doing 90kwh refurbs
They replace both the old 400v "85" and "90" packs with the new 350v "85/90" packs. (Really a "100" pack with 2 fewer modules, which has more capacity than either of the older style packs.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Quick updates:

We're getting our lead times on the upgrades and replacements way down. Goal is to be able to have you place the order, get you scheduled, get your car here, and have it back to you in as little as a week (couple weeks for further away folks). We're not quite there yet, as we're working through quite a backlog, but we're close. Probably 3-4 weeks out right now, should be doing same to next week scheduling within a month.

Also doing a lot more 100 upgrades lately, and a lot of customers with RWD pre-AP or pre-refresh cars are opting for the 100 upgrade. We're able to unlock the best possible supercharge curves on those for the model, usually maxing out at 150 kW on pre-refresh cars (pre-2017) and up to 250 kW on some newer refresh cars (with a wiring + charger upgrade available for some 2018+ cars to hit the 250 kW mark, but it's not really worth it honestly).

Finally, we're going to be making a new configurator (should be this weekend, but may be sometime next week depending on how things go) that handles both upgrade and bad battery replacement orders that does instant estimates by VIN and any existing error codes. There won't be any pricing changes for upgrades vs the current site. We may be tweaking some pricing over the next few months (unfortunately probably upward a little), but the only change coming immediately is that we're doing a 50% deposit down on all upgrade and replacement estimates instead of the current setup of 100% on upgrades and "we'll figure it out when it gets here" on replacements. Instead, the system will give you an estimate quote directly online, you pay a 50% refundable deposit (some minor conditions there, such as the diagnostic fee for replacements being a non-refundable portion), and we get you scheduled. (50% now, 50% upon completion and before vehicle is released.)

We get requests for battery replacements and upgrades multiple times per day now, so we're doing some serious volume since we now always beat Tesla's price on replacements AND we'll do upgrades. 😃

Oh, and we're offering a free 1 year battery service plan with upgrades and replacements now, which you can extend to two years for $999. (Can not make this retroactive, sorry!)

Everything should be in the new configurator that's coming, but in the meantime you can reach out to our crew to quote replacements. Our existing upgrade page can still take orders. Just ignore the deposit note and if you pay a 50% deposit on the invoice it generates we can get you started. Keep in mind that's still just for good-core-battery orders.

Thanks!

The only upgrade that somewhat guarantees increased supercharging speeds is the 100. (I only say "somewhat guaranteed", because I can't guarantee what Tesla changes or doesn't change in the future.)

Free use supercharging is unaffected by any upgrades we do.

Currently no way to do this in Europe. Trans-Atlantic vehicle shipping from EU to us and back is about the same as it is to California and back, though, just takes more time. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and LonelyMS
Also doing a lot more 100 upgrades lately, and a lot of customers with RWD pre-AP or pre-refresh cars are opting for the 100 upgrade. We're able to unlock the best possible supercharge curves on those for the model, usually maxing out at 150 kW on pre-refresh cars (pre-2017) and up to 250 kW on some newer refresh cars (with a wiring + charger upgrade available for some 2018+ cars to hit the 250 kW mark, but it's not really worth it honestly).
This part interested me.
As of late last year I purchased the 1014116-00-c from tesla, a long time ago they put a gen 2 supercharger in my car, part # put into the picture. Reason I'm asking is my experience supercharging seems to be inconsistent as far as a charging curve goes, and maybe you'd know best if it's being thermally throttled or if a few wires could be replaced to potentially hit 150kw with the battery pack. This pack should be able to hit that number fairly easily, just taking current charging curves and subtracting 12% for the missing modules.
I also put in a request to find out the ccs upgrade, I doubt it'll change anything supercharging speed related but maybe the newer parts will be better? I don't know. Someone on this forum posted he felt it reached higher speeds after the ccs upgrade
You would probably know best
Thanks in advance

Reason I'm asking is my most recent charging experience another car was sharing at a v2 charger, and I was charging at 30kw for 20 minutes, when he unplugged I was around 58% and the charge rate jumped up to over 100kw.
When I plug in at less than 10% I lose 100kw charging at around 35%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702_171533_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_171533_Drive.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
This part interested me.
As of late last year I purchased the 1014116-00-c from tesla, a long time ago they put a gen 2 supercharger in my car, part # put into the picture. Reason I'm asking is my experience supercharging seems to be inconsistent as far as a charging curve goes, and maybe you'd know best if it's being thermally throttled or if a few wires could be replaced to potentially hit 150kw with the battery pack. This pack should be able to hit that number fairly easily, just taking current charging curves and subtracting 12% for the missing modules.
I also put in a request to find out the ccs upgrade, I doubt it'll change anything supercharging speed related but maybe the newer parts will be better? I don't know. Someone on this forum posted he felt it reached higher speeds after the ccs upgrade
You would probably know best
Thanks in advance

Reason I'm asking is my most recent charging experience another car was sharing at a v2 charger, and I was charging at 30kw for 20 minutes, when he unplugged I was around 58% and the charge rate jumped up to over 100kw.
When I plug in at less than 10% I lose 100kw charging at around 35%
A bit confusing and I'm not quite sure what you are asking. First Tesla installed a new master charger in your car, not a Supercharger. It would be very hard to fit a Supercharger cabinet and pedestal into a car and then connect 480VAC somehow to your car!

You didn't state what size your battery is or the age of your car - both are critical in figuring out your maximum charge rate. If a 60/70/75, you are not likely to get 150 kW, although I did get 125 kW once in my 2016 75. Usually, they are limited to below 100 kW. You may want to review this Supercharger guide to help explain all the limitations, charging curves, and how V2 Superchargers work:
Superchargers

Supercharger SuperGuide

When you plug in at low SOC, it normally takes a few minutes to achieve maximum charging power - presuming the battery is already warmed up to temperature. If cold-soaked, it could take an hour or more to warm up. If the pack is below freezing, zero charging will occur until the battery is warm.

A bit confusing and I'm not quite sure what you are asking. First Tesla installed a new master charger in your car, not a Supercharger. It would be very hard to fit a Supercharger cabinet and pedestal into a car and then connect 480VAC somehow to your car!

You didn't state what size your battery is or the age of your car - both are critical in figuring out your maximum charge rate. If a 60/70/75, you are not likely to get 150 kW, although I did get 125 kW once in my 2016 75. Usually, they are limited to below 100 kW. You may want to review this Supercharger guide to help explain all the limitations, charging curves, and how V2 Superchargers work:
Superchargers

Supercharger SuperGuide

When you plug in at low SOC, it normally takes a few minutes to achieve maximum charging power - presuming the battery is already warmed up to temperature. If cold-soaked, it could take an hour or more to warm up. If the pack is below freezing, zero charging will occur until the battery is warm.
you quoted me and responded like you didnt even read half of it. and second of all im not very technical, so i get it. the supercharging portion of my car was broken so i was unable to dc fast charge it for a bit, and tesla changed something.
however i did state i have the 1014116-00-c and i fairly specifically posted my charge speed at the bottom.
i drive a 2015 model s 85d, and if youre confused what im looking for, he mentioned getting better charging speeds out of newer version of cars, so im wondering what it takes to get the faster charging speeds on a pre refresh car.

so i am mainly wondering because i am getting very mixed charging speeds out of the battery, being plugged in with a low state results in drop in charge much quicker than higher state of charge, as if something internally is being thermally throttled, but someone like @wk057 might know better.
if i take my car in to have a few cables swapped to get faster charging, he mentioned a non cost effective way to make it faster, does that include changing out the "master charger" like the one that might be installed in my car, etc.

Last edited: