Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say there is very poor understanding of batteries out there. Even amongst people building their own UPS and others howling with them.
"Ludicrous update" consist of much more reliable and precise fuse, that will reliably break close to 1500. Oldschool fuse was not so precise so they had to go with bigger margin of error. And err oh the safe side.
One number looks simple but 'fuse technology' is far from simple. Every fuse allows for higher current than rated for short enough time. That higher current at some short amount of time can damage some other component without blowing the fuse. How to prevent such a thing? By using lower-rated fuse, 'fast' fuses etc. By using more reliably precise fuse they can safely go closer to no-go territory where damage becomes bigger than they can afford.

But again, battery had to be modified for more power output. That fuse is part of the battery system, it's all about what you can safely extract from it.
And P85 and P85D had same fuse and hence same safe max power output.

I'd say there is very poor understanding of batteries out there. Even amongst people building their own UPS and others howling with them.
"Ludicrous update" consist of much more reliable and precise fuse, that will reliably break close to 1500. Oldschool fuse was not so precise so they had to go with bigger margin of error. And err oh the safe side.
One number looks simple but 'fuse technology' is far from simple. Every fuse allows for higher current than rated for short enough time. That higher current at some short amount of time can damage some other component without blowing the fuse. How to prevent such a thing? By using lower-rated fuse, 'fast' fuses etc. By using more reliably precise fuse they can safely go closer to no-go territory where damage becomes bigger than they can afford.

But again, battery had to be modified for more power output. That fuse is part of the battery system, it's all about what you can safely extract from it.
And P85 and P85D had same fuse and hence same safe max power output.
You wrote that the battery had to get bigger which is obviously incorrect. All of the things you write here is just backpeddeling... Ludicrous-upgrade for 85kwh-batteries proves that the capacity isnt the issue and never has been just as wk057 stated.

I said it was the same 85KWh battery as it really was. Same battery, same limitations.
A battery with different fuse technology is not the same battery.

Ludicrous-upgrade for 85kwh-batteries proves that the capacity isnt the issue and never has been just as wk057 stated.
And that different fuse tech is just gimmicks.

Over and out (of this kindergarten).

Yes for drums gearing is not a problem, but for a Dynapack it is. I did explain the problem with the dynapack earlier in this thread.

HP is torque x rpm
Power and Torque: Understanding the Relationship Between the Two, by EPI Inc.

Edit: added my earlier post about Dynapack dyno a rwd Tesla. Dual motor Tesla give another issue if the gearing is not the same, since the dynapack must know what the gearing is to calculate power.

HP is very easy, and yes it is torque x rpm. All done at the drums, why it is called hp at the wheels. The drum is rotating (that is the rpm), the increase in rpms over time is the torque. All very easy to measure at the drums

Edit: Hp at the wheels is the interesting number, since we know the energy going into the engines. The difference between these two numbers has a lot of factors. So we know that 691 hp is possible from the battery, for some reason all the power is not transfered to the engines, and then the power is further deluted when at the wheels by loss, TC and maybe other things and then we only have approx 430-450 hp of the 691 hp we paid for ...

Last edited:
Three dyno tests says between 413 and 460 hp
US dyno by Brooks 413: http://www.dragtimes.com/2015-Tesla-Model-S-Dyno-Results-Graphs-27143.html
DK dyno 430: http://teslaforum.dk/ow_userfiles/plugins/base/981-Tesla_Dyno.png
FIN dyno 460:http://www.teslaclub.fi/blog/22/P85D+dyno-testissä/

The way of rest API saying 555 is like calculating the amount of gas going into the engine and converting that number to hp - makes no sense

Given the P85 dynoed at 430whp (and at similar SOCs too), I doubt the first two dynos were valid. Even the last one represents a 16% loss, which is higher than expected. What they all failed to do was to track REST numbers at the same time (which would let us know if the car was outputting full power or if TC was killing things).

What sorka got of 500whp (~10% loss) on vbox while tracking REST at 550hp is more believable.

I have tuned many cars on dynos and know they limitation. ...The HP number for the P85D I think is somewhere around 500-520

I find it quite telling that this thread has gone from arguing about whether or not the P85D makes 691 HP to arguing about how much less than 691 HP the P85D makes.

555, 550, 520, 500, 460, 430, 413...I'm no mathematician, but even I can determine that all those numbers are quite a bit less than--not more than or equal to--691.

Sure - the three independent dyno runs that measures at the drum must be at fault, whereas the one vbox that is doing an estimate must be right. I know the numbers are not what people like to hear, but hey ...
That's three independent dynos with 20-50hp difference between them and without any REST tracking nor a believable loss number using the known REST numbers. While for the P85 we had multiple dynos at ~430whp and calculated loss of ~10%.

The last person doing the dyno actually noted that they were not sure if TC was limiting things and that they had doubts about the shape of the curves. I do not buy the claim that the P85D makes no extra power over the P85 given what we see on the REST numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it quite telling that this thread has gone from arguing about whether or not the P85D makes 691 HP to arguing about how much less than 691 HP the P85D makes.

555, 550, 520, 500, 460, 430, 413...I'm no mathematician, but even I can determine that all those numbers are quite a bit less than--not more than or equal to--691.
We already knew the P85D made less than 691hp at the wheels from the start of the thread. There was never a dispute over this. The dispute was over 691hp (or whatever power it actually is) at the shaft and what "motor power" means. I think by now it is clear Tesla simply means "motor power" to be the capability of the motors (regardless of battery/fuse limitations), not the combined power of the motors at the shaft (or wheels) with battery/fuse limitations or even gearing taken into account. The dispute is over what is the actual power at the wheels given this.

Last edited:

:) - however this would be easy for Tesla to put to rest. Just give us the official hp number for the P85D

- - - Updated - - -

That's three independent dynos with 20-50hp difference between them and without any REST tracking nor a believable loss number using the known REST numbers. While for the P85 we had multiple dynos at ~430whp and calculated loss of ~10%.

The last person doing the dyno actually noted that they were not sure if TC was limiting things and that they had doubts about the shape of the curves. I do not buy the claim that the P85D makes no extra power over the P85 given what we see on the REST numbers.

There is question that the P85D draws more energy from the battery, but it is used to produce more torque from zero and ramp up power quicker than the P85, it is just not producing more power (hp) at the moment

- - - Updated - - -

We already knew the P85D made less than 691hp at the wheels from the start of the thread. There was never a dispute over this. The dispute was over 691hp (or whatever power) at the shaft and what "motor power" means. I think by now it is clear Tesla simply means "motor power" to be the capability of the motors (regardless of battery/fuse limitations), not the combined power of the motors at the shaft.

That would be the only logic explanation at this point, however I believe that Tesla initially believed they could deliver. And I do not recall the term motor power when I placed my order in oct 2014 - maybe I remember wrong

I admit im no expert in dyno tech. But whould like to know wich numbers to expect from a 700 hk awd ice on a dyno ?
Does it matter if it distribute the power unequal (not 50/50 but more like. 66/33) - the p85d have a smaller front motor and will not pull as hard on the front wheel.
If the dyno register a litle 'hessitation' from the front wheel, will it then still meassure correct ?. - does it stop to apply negative force when it feels the motors begins to slow down....
The dyno numbers seem to fit 2 times front motors hk.

E.g. When the front motor produce 240 hk - how mutch does the rear motor produce ? 240 hk as well ? - together that makes 480 hk and the front motor can no longer spin the front wheel faster - dyno might think top hk is reatched.
I belive the front and back should be messured as independant motors, and the numbers shuld be added together.
The API numbers should show if this is a true or false assumption - if full power is not drawn while on the dyno, then the traction control or front/ rear distribution makes it hard to meassure. The true hk on a dyno.

Last edited:
There is question that the P85D draws more energy from the battery, but it is used to produce more torque from zero and ramp up power quicker than the P85, it is just not producing more power (hp) at the moment
However, given the acceleration curves right now and the calculations done, simply having more torque and not more power is not sufficient for what we see. The Vbox results actually do these calculations on a physics basis. There's a whole lot of things that can go wrong with a dyno: TC or other limiters can kick in (tracking REST numbers would let you know that), the dyno could be only measuring one set of wheels correctly, or the dyno can't be configured to factor in two completely independent drivetrains with different gearing (as was claimed by some others).

That would be the only logic explanation at this point, however I believe that Tesla initially believed they could deliver. And I do not recall the term motor power when I placed my order in oct 2014 - maybe I remember wrong
With the launch of the P85D in October 2014, Tesla changed all their numbers to "motor power" as noted in this article from that time.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ower-numbers-for-tesla-model-s-whats-the-deal

The Vbox results actually do these calculations on a physics basis.

Yes, but doesn't it assume the normal peaks, of ICE HP. The area under the Tesla's torque curve, given its peak, is guaranteed to be bigger than ICE vehicles of similar spec. If Vbox assumes a slow run-up, on the way to peak HP, and then backs into resulting times, those times will be longer by virtue of the time it took the ICE it assumes you're driving, to make its peak HP. For an EV, the HP tails are likely fatter and don't require the same peak, in order to deliver an equal time. I can see this logic in advertising the P85D, and how it would abuse reality.

However, given the acceleration curves right now and the calculations done, simply having more torque and not more power is not sufficient for what we see. The Vbox results actually do these calculations on a physics basis. There's a whole lot of things that can go wrong with a dyno: TC or other limiters can kick in (tracking REST numbers would let you know that), the dyno could be only measuring one set of wheels correctly, or the dyno can't be configured to factor in two completely independent drivetrains with different gearing (as was claimed by some others).

I agree that there are room for errors, however 3 independent dynos coming to the almost same result, would mean that they all are wrong. The Danish dyno was made at the leading tuning expert in Denmark used by leading racing teams, so I do actually believe the results.

The massive torque and much quicker power ramp up would more than explain the difference we see. Applying power earlier is the key and torque makes that possible, simple. This specially since we are not seeing actual 3.1s accelerations, but 3.6s or slower. Vbox testing in Denmark repeatedly with more than 15 different P85Ds confirms this.

With the launch of the P85D in October 2014, Tesla changed all their numbers to "motor power" as noted in this article from that time.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ower-numbers-for-tesla-model-s-whats-the-deal

Ok, stand corrected :) It was not something I noticed, I focused on the 3.2s and 691hp, stupid me :)

Yes, but doesn't it assume the normal peaks, of ICE HP. The area under the Tesla's torque curve, given its peak, is guaranteed to be bigger than ICE vehicles of similar spec. If Vbox assumes a slow run-up, on the way to peak HP, and then backs into resulting times, those times will be longer by virtue of the time it took the ICE it assumes you're driving, to make its peak HP. For an EV, the HP tails are likely fatter and don't require the same peak, in order to deliver an equal time. I can see this logic in advertising the P85D, and how it would abuse reality.

Yes, it is a calculation for an ICE setup

I can see this logic in advertising the P85D, and how it would abuse reality.

Perhaps. But it's not like ICE vendors are the paragon of openness. Peak HP is a pretty meaningless figure without a LOT of qualifications... what point in the drive train it's measured, what other parasitic loads are on the engine, the shape of the power curve, transmission design and performance, etc... EVs, as you note, are a really different animal and so comparing peak HP on an EV to and ICE is apples and oranges as a measure of performance.

Actual vehicle performance (with a rollout or not) is far more meaningful because it filters out all (most?) of the BS. 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc...

On some of the more popular measures (0-60, starting torque and "holy $hit factor") my P85D performs very similarly to or better than a 700HP ICE vehicle. That's good enough for me. And if somebody asks I have zero issue giving them the 691 number. Almost nobody digs into the details enough care about the minutiae that is being flogged to death here.

At some point in time, it was.

I definitely was not able to pull away.

And even so, that video is still damning. The P85D should be light years away from the P85, but the P85 in that video is able to maintain a mostly static distance once the P85D pulls away slowly at first, which is the same experience I had at the drag strip.

Edit: Actually, in that video it takes 6-7 seconds before the P85D's rear is in front of the P85. That's super sad. I'm not even sure my little race the other day even lasted that long as we only went to 80-ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tuned many cars on dynos and know they limitation. Also I have tried to dyno Teslas, its not possible to get correct. The roller dynos don't support 2 engines with different output and Dynapack is not possible to use because of the gear ratio and does not support different gear ratio front and back.

If the 430hp numers is correct, that is the same as P85 as some have dynoed the P85 to. We know for a fact that the P85D is faster also at higher speeds so it must put down more kW. At higher speeds the difference is not very much but it is there. The biggest different is how fast the P85D ramps up the power since it is not as traction limited as P85. Also none of the roller dynos I have tried are able to not slip if you have max power from a standstill, so they are not able to measure power where the P85D have the most.

The HP number for the P85D I think is somewhere around 500-520

Any dyno where you can lock the two drums together to simulate the ground is capable of testing a D. It doesn't matter if it has one motor, two motors, or a million motors. I don't know about the Dynapack, but the MD-AWD-500 Mustang Dyno is appropriate for measuring the horsepower of a Tesla D. The Dynojet is also appropriate as long as you engage the Linx system which locks the two drums together. If you don't then the two axles could spin at different rates which would invalidate the test. An example of when you wouldn't use the Linx system on the Dynojet is for a a 4wd vehicle that has already locked it's transfer case and are forcing the axles to move in unison. Minor differences in wheel/tire diameter would cause slippage on a dyno that has it's drums locked toegether. In this case, for a 4wd vehicle, you'd disengage the Linx and each drum has it's own PAU. You can't drive a 4wd vehicle in 4wd mode on a smooth dry solid surface. You can only drive in 4wd mode in mud, snow, gravel, sand, etc.

The Mustang Dyno has one PAU and treats both drums, which are linked with a toothed built, as one surface as if you were testing on the ground.

A more in depth discussion:

Need 85D volunteer in Sacramento area for a dyno test......

Regarding not being able to get an accurate reading due to slip: Max torque occurs early on at around 12 MPH but max power doesn't occur until 36 MPH long after torque has fallen *way* off. The one public dyno where the wheels slipped was right around 10 MPH long before max power would have been achieved. By the time peak power rolls around, we're far off from having any issues with slip.

There's only one P85D run posted on a Mustang Dyno. It's not enough. There could have been any number of things wrong that could have lowered the results. The car might not have been charged very high. There's over a 50 hp difference between 100% SOC down to 50% SOC. The P85D could have had some issue. It might have been overheated and pulling back power. The dyno could have had a problem. Maybe it was really cold and the operator corrected for atmosphere which you can't do on an BEV.

- - - Updated - - -

At some point in time, it was.

I had a P85+ loaner for a week and that video represents exactly what I noticed in the difference. The P85D was faster in a roll on but only barely. Enough to notice.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, 555 is sort of the theoretical cap isn't it. It can't make more power at the motor shaft than is output by the battery. So the real debate should be how much is lost in conversion from the battery, through the inverter, and finally through the motor to the motor shaft(s)

- - - Updated - - -

:) - however this would be easy for Tesla to put to rest. Just give us the official hp number for the P85D

-

Um, they could NEVER do that unless they want to pony up L upgrades for free for every single P85D ordered prior to them removing the 691 combined number from their site.

- - - Updated - - -

It makes no such assumptions. It calculates how much power you need to move from speed x to speed y in z time with a given mass. Period. It doesn't care if that's an ICE, EV, steam engine, or Fred Flinstone pounding his feet on the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps. But it's not like ICE vendors are the paragon of openness. Peak HP is a pretty meaningless figure without a LOT of qualifications... what point in the drive train it's measured, what other parasitic loads are on the engine, the shape of the power curve, transmission design and performance, etc... EVs, as you note, are a really different animal and so comparing peak HP on an EV to and ICE is apples and oranges as a measure of performance.

Actual vehicle performance (with a rollout or not) is far more meaningful because it filters out all (most?) of the BS. 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc...

On some of the more popular measures (0-60, starting torque and "holy $hit factor") my P85D performs very similarly to or better than a 700HP ICE vehicle. That's good enough for me. And if somebody asks I have zero issue giving them the 691 number. Almost nobody digs into the details enough care about the minutiae that is being flogged to death here.

Really? Name *ONE* ICE car that produces 700 hp that is the same or slower than a P85D from a 50 MPH roll.

Just compare it to a 700hp 4500 lb Hellcat:

CRO_Cars_Hellcat_Chart_06-15.png

The Hellcat is only 10% lighter but it's accelerating 50% faster almost the entire time after 60 MPH.

Heck, even an Audi RS7 in a 50-70 MPH pass crushes a P85D and the Audi only has 560 hp. It might be lighter, but on paper, the P85D is supposed to have the superior power to weight ratio but in fact is far worse power to weight ratio than the Audi.

The start of that graph is *why* the P85D goes like stink to 60 because the power it does generate it generates sooner hence the insane torque low down and the crazy g's that are front loaded.

Here's one with a P85D at 80% first compared with an S85 at 84% second:

80SOC0to60.jpg

S85SOC84P.jpg

There's only about a 100 hp difference between the S85 and P85D at the wheels but look how much *MORE* power the P85D makes early on. It's all about the power put down integrated over time under the curve, not peak power. This is important when you're talking about taking off from a standstill rather than a 50 mph rollin where you're able to make peak power immediately in the P85D vs almost immediately in an ICE(might have to downshift). The S85 doesn't even make it's peak until 50 MPH while the P85D is flattening out after 36 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the footnote from Tesla's web site earlier this year:

** The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete.

Highlighted in green is the update to 155 MPH, which everyone received. Highlighted in red is the over-the-air firmware update that nobody received, and one that sounds an awful lot like the Ludicrous update for which Tesla is charging existing P85D owners $5,000.

Here is the footnote from Tesla's web site earlier this year:

** The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete.

Highlighted in green is the update to 155 MPH, which everyone received. Highlighted in red is the over-the-air firmware update that nobody received, and one that sounds an awful lot like the Ludicrous update for which Tesla is charging existing P85D owners $5,000.

This matches my assertion all along that Tesla intended in good faith to provide an update to unlock the P85Ds promised hp but that they finally realized after collecting enough data that the contractors wouldn't be reliable enough(after they already redesigned them once) and that the fuse couldn't be run past it's 80% margin without possibly blowing. And not it requires a minor hardware tweak to allow the motors, which were always capable of handling the power to be matched with the battery which was also capable of producing the power. The safety links in between couldn't handle it after all and had to be replaced. That's still speculation on my part of course because that's not *proof* but boy it sure seems like it.

This matches my assertion all along that Tesla intended in good faith to provide an update to unlock the P85Ds promised hp but that they finally realized after collecting enough data that the contractors wouldn't be reliable enough(after they already redesigned them once) and that the fuse couldn't be run past it's 80% margin without possibly blowing. And not it requires a minor hardware tweak to allow the motors, which were always capable of handling the power to be matched with the battery which was also capable of producing the power. The safety links in between couldn't handle it after all and had to be replaced. That's still speculation on my part of course because that's not *proof* but boy it sure seems like it.

Except, if someone bought based upon that representation, doesn't this potentially become a problem for Tesla? I'm not suggesting anything should happen, per se, but it seems clear from Tesla's above footnote that it has not delivered on a promise it made to some owners who bought on good faith that Tesla will deliver on that promise. Nobody received any high speed improvement via software. Tesla did improve acceleration from 3.2 to 3.1 seconds, but that is an improvement to acceleration not "performance at high speed." It's plainly obvious that Tesla was referring to what later became the Ludicrous upgrade.

After connecting all of these dots, my position on this issue has evolved and I do think Tesla should make this right somehow.

Except, if someone bought based upon that representation, doesn't this potentially become a problem for Tesla? I'm not suggesting anything should happen, per se, but it seems clear from Tesla's above footnote that it has not delivered on a promise it made to some owners who bought on good faith that Tesla will deliver on that promise. Nobody received any high speed improvement via software. Tesla did improve acceleration from 3.2 to 3.1 seconds, but that is an improvement to acceleration not "performance at high speed." It's plainly obvious that Tesla was referring to what later became the Ludicrous upgrade.

After connecting all of these dots, my position on this issue has evolved and I do think Tesla should make this right somehow.

Agreed. I was referring mainly to those that placed their order after the 691 hp spec was removed and after the controversy bloomed up in full force in the forums. That said, anyone who recently bought a P85D who is not following any of this is likely to think they bought a car that claims to put down 691 hp at the motor shafts. After all, Edmunds and every single site you can do research on still quotes 691 hp. I'm surprised Tesla hasn't sent them notices of the spec change.....but then again that would get a lot of industry wide attention.