Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon mentioned that those who put down the early reservations on the M3 were going to get something special. The same deal (1000 miles free/year SC) would be my vote for the "something special".
No need for that. The blog post says "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017", if they were going to exclude the Model 3 it would specify that it was only for the Model S and X.

They can now even sell a chademo adapter (tied to a Tesla account) to allow non-Tesla EVs to charge. While making money doing it. This, perhaps more than anything else Tesla does, will really accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

Given the way things work now where the car tells the SC that it is ok to charge it, it would require more than an adapter to let other makes charge at the SC. The other manufacturers would need to add some way for their cars to talk to the SC.

Sorry, to clarify, I was curious if demand for the Destination chargers would increase as they are still free. With increased demand, will these businesses decide they want to charge a fee for access in the future.
But aren't destination chargers meant primarily for overnight or all-day stays at a fixed location such as a hotel? In other words, it's an amenity offered by the establishment to entice you to do business with them. If you're on the road, I'd think you'd want to still utilize the convenience and time-savings of Superchargers, even if you may have to pay a few bucks for it.

As for businesses monetizing their destination chargers, that's up to them. However, I recall the early days of hotels providing WiFi as an amenity. Some places charged for the service (with maybe the first so many minutes free); whereas, other places provided it at no additional charge. With competition among hotels, how many places nowadays do you see with fee WiFi? I suspect we'll see the same thing with destination charging stations as this service becomes even more commonplace with the advent of the Model 3, Bolt and other future longer-range EVs.

No need for that. The blog post says "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017", if they were going to exclude the Model 3 it would specify that it was only for the Model S and X.

Given the way things work now where the car tells the SC that it is ok to charge it, it would require more than an adapter to let other makes charge at the SC. The other manufacturers would need to add some way for their cars to talk to the SC.

IF Tesla were to ever open up SC's to other manufacturers, I'd hope they are charged slightly more. Not so much that it's a financial roadblock, but at least keep it on par with Chargepoint and EVgo.

Not sure it would make sense to have the third party car involved in authentication, at least in the near term. Ideally the authentication would be performed on a trustworthy platform. This is assuming the supercharger data link is secure. If not, it won't be too hard to circumvent supercharging fees ;)

Instead, the adapter itself could communicate back to the mother ship. Perhaps via its own radio or via smartphone. It need not always be connected. Only needs to be connected when adding credits (adapter could track credits available to use).

Reactions: Topher
It's hard to describe the feelings that arise when one drives into a SC with 18 miles of charge left and 150 miles still left to go, only to find twelve SC stations all filled, with locals! And four or five Teslas standing in line. It was amazing to me that people could interpret "free charging forever" into this idea that instead of plugging in at home, they would prefer to block traveler's progress in order to save a few dollars a week.

Since we've retired, my wifey and I travel several thousand miles a year visiting relatives and checking out national parks and beautiful scenery on the way. In all my traveling, I have only encountered three SCs where locals were close enough to feed so closely at the trough that no one else could find room for over an hour. I knew it had to change.

I am glad that most owners see this as a good move. Note that it does not affect those 160,000 current owners, some of whom still think they are, as Trump says, "being smart", gaming the system, regardless of other drivers' needs. Humans are inherently selfish, and thoughtfulness is a taught characteristic. I am sorry that Tesla had to do this, but I don't see any other way. They handled it well.

I don't see others being able to charge on Tesla's network for right now. The Supercharger network is a huge advantage of buying a Tesla over a Bolt or i3.

Say they charged a premium of $.02/kWh for a non-Tesla to charge. That could cost them $7,000 in profit by someone buying a Bolt instead of a M3. That would be 6,363 charges of 55kWh to make up for 1 lost sale.

Now if say BMW payed Tesla a fee to open up their chargers or built a shared network for both companies that would be a different story.

We are getting a bit OT, but..

Damn right I feel entitled, that is what I expected when I pay luxury car prices, especially 6 figures. I expect a loaner vehicle and/or valet service,and I expect a higher level of service - just like when you go to a joint Toyota/Lexus dealer they provide a MUCH higher level of service to Lexus owners as compared to Toyota owners.

I don't expect to be nickel and dimed - that's why I would expect to get the Supercharging when buying a vehicle that costs as much as $200k - which is what a fully loaded Model X costs in C$.

I don't see others being able to charge on Tesla's network for right now. The Supercharger network is a huge advantage of buying a Tesla over a Bolt or i3.

Say they charged a premium of $.02/kWh for a non-Tesla to charge. That could cost them $7,000 in profit by someone buying a Bolt instead of a M3. That would be 6,363 charges of 55kWh to make up for 1 lost sale.

Now if say BMW payed Tesla a fee to open up their chargers or built a shared network for both companies that would be a different story.

Elon has been waiting for someone else to come along and join. No one has.

We are getting a bit OT, but..

Damn right I feel entitled, that is what I expected when I pay luxury car prices, especially 6 figures. I expect a loaner vehicle and/or valet service,and I expect a higher level of service - just like when you go to a joint Toyota/Lexus dealer they provide a MUCH higher level of service to Lexus owners as compared to Toyota owners.

I don't expect to be nickel and dimed - that's why I would expect to get the Supercharging when buying a vehicle that costs as much as $200k - which is what a fully loaded Model X costs in C$.

Odd analogy here. It's more a 3 series to a 550i or an M5 (p90 owners)...eclass to c class Benz. Same brand, different class of car. So what your saying is an M5 owner should receive free gas because they paid 3x the price of a 328i buyer? Uhh...no. In fact it seems to work the opposite with luxury cars: More performance = more power required = more power consumed. Hence luxury car owners paying premiums in gas for their supercharged V12 engines over the standard 4cyl turbo with engine cut off to save on fuel.
If one can afford the top end, yes they come with additional service in terms of valet, better loaner etc, however they don't jump the queue in service and most definitely don't receive subsidies in free 'gas' for the life of the vehicle. I'm sorry but I disagree with the expectation of free energy due to the cost of the vehicle. And I own a 90D. Not 200k but quite expensive.
Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti...by your analogy, owners of these 300k+ vehicles should expect free gas for life. I suspect they don't care.

I'm grateful Musk allowed free charging on my vehicle but should he have offered me 1000 miles of free long distance travel energy per year, I would be equally as happy. Imagine an ICE manufacturer offering 1000 miles of free gas on 401 enroute stations per year per vehicle? That'll be the day!

Welcome to the future everyone...energy for transport 'pay as you go' or membership model. Either way, society has already accepted that we all pay for energy in whatever form it comes in. (Gas, hydro, water). Auto power is no different...someone has to pay for that power to the pumps!

Last edited:
I feel the model is good, but 400 KWh annually is a tad on the low side. The original "road trip" route that Tesla used to demonstrate long-distance travel between Northern and Southern California is approximately 400 miles. Round trip puts this close to eating up most of the free energy in one trip. We do about 5 trips per year. My opinion on this changes if their pricing structure puts the cost per mile well below a gasoline car.

If this is the model which will continue on into the Model 3 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I figured that it would be a 2 tier option. Either pay for unlimited charging or pure pay to charge, no free credits.

This 400KWh free is a bonus in my point of view.

If this is the model which will continue on into the Model 3 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I figured that it would be a 2 tier option. Either pay for unlimited charging or pure pay to charge, no free credits.

This 400KWh free is a bonus in my point of view.
Prior to today, I had that same expectation.

After today, I don't think the "pay for unlimited" will be an option on 3 (or S, X, Y, next-gen Roadster, or truck). They've had plenty of time to mull this over and it would be foolish to roll out today's post but change course dramatically -- making 3 "better than same production date" S/X by giving it an 'unlimited' option that was recently revoked from S/X.

I'm not sure why so many think this is a good move. While the idea sounds great for future M3 (price subsidization on entry level), I think for those that pay the high price of MS, they will consider cheaper alternatives - I know I would likely reconsider it if I had to pay ~30$ for each recharge on SC. I really prefer to have all you can eat model when one pays over 100k$ for a car.

I really love my 2015 MS, but price is nudging too far up for me to buy one again.