Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unresponsive screen in the heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed the screen has a tendency to be unresponsive if it’s been exposed to high temperatures, had it happen before this current heatwave and again this morning when I got into the car.

It sorts itself out after a reset but it’s less than ideal

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Had this plenty on our Model S but nothing so far in MY.

Is this MCU2 I take it @Zilla91 ?

If it is temperature related, it could simply be that the MCU is throttling badly because the CPU / iGPU are hot and until the a/c is running, it's booting up with only very warm air to pull in. I believe this was pretty common in the Model S - service techs knew about it, but nothing they could do about it and replacing the MCU for another of the same vintage was just a matter of time not if for the issue to come back (fans would draw in dust etc. over time).

Failing that it could be lots of things, but a full power off / reboot followed by deep sleep would fix anything software related (i.e. stuck errors or failing to clear a cache) that can be fixed without a SC visit.

Edit: my bad - I'm forgetting that only MCU1 was air cooled. Both MCU2 and MCU3 are liquid cooled. It may still just be temperature related, but could be that until the cooling system has caught up, it's booting up warm in this weather we're having or something else is up.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed the screen has a tendency to be unresponsive if it’s been exposed to high temperatures, had it happen before this current heatwave and again this morning when I got into the car.

It sorts itself out after a reset but it’s less than ideal

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Have you tried pre-cooling the car before you get in?

I do it all the time. I had the ac running pretty much non-stop the last 2 days because I found the cabin overheat protection doesn’t really that good a job of cooling the car down (seems to give up at around 36 degrees)
COP only works to get the car down to 40C. I don't use COP, my inside temp was 52C yesterday and there were no issues.

Not sure how this can be heat related if the car is cool when you get in. If the electronics were overheating even though the cabin is cool then I'd expect them to fail again after the reboot.

Might be worth a Service Request to get it looked at. Maybe indicative of something else:

Had this plenty on our Model S but nothing so far in MY.

Is this MCU2 I take it @Zilla91 ?

If it is temperature related, it could simply be that the MCU is throttling badly because the CPU / iGPU are hot and until the a/c is running, it's booting up with only very warm air to pull in. I believe this was pretty common in the Model S - service techs knew about it, but nothing they could do about it and replacing the MCU for another of the same vintage was just a matter of time not if for the issue to come back (fans would draw in dust etc. over time).

Failing that it could be lots of things, but a full power off / reboot followed by deep sleep would fix anything software related (i.e. stuck errors or failing to clear a cache) that can be fixed without a SC visit.

Edit: my bad - I'm forgetting that only MCU1 was air cooled. Both MCU2 and MCU3 are liquid cooled. It may still just be temperature related, but could be that until the cooling system has caught up, it's booting up warm in this weather we're having or something else is up.

I am currently having what seems to be a very similar issue to what is described here. I have a 2013 MS 85, which I believe has an MCU1. I think the MCU has been replaced or repaired at some point because my VIN does not show up on the Tesla recall page for the eMMC failure.

In the morning I will get into the car and the screen turns on right away but if I get in the car sometime in the late morning, afternoon or evening when it has been hot outside, the screen will not turn on at all.

Sometimes when I'm driving, if I don't have the A/C on or if it's not cool enough, the airbag on/off status indicator will come up on the gauge cluster screen and then about 3 seconds later the MCU screen will turn off. If I have the A/C on cool enough and I leave it on when I'm not driving, the screen will power up when I get in the car. With the airbag on/off status indicator, it seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue but it also seems like it's affected by the temperature. I'm still not sure

Another interesting thing is that the screen is still active; I can still press things on the screen if I press in the right places it's just that the screen is blank as if it's not on but the touch function still works, it's just not displaying anything.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks

I am currently having what seems to be a very similar issue to what is described here. I have a 2013 MS 85, which I believe has an MCU1. I think the MCU has been replaced or repaired at some point because my VIN does not show up on the Tesla recall page for the eMMC failure.

In the morning I will get into the car and the screen turns on right away but if I get in the car sometime in the late morning, afternoon or evening when it has been hot outside, the screen will not turn on at all.

Sometimes when I'm driving, if I don't have the A/C on or if it's not cool enough, the airbag on/off status indicator will come up on the gauge cluster screen and then about 3 seconds later the MCU screen will turn off. If I have the A/C on cool enough and I leave it on when I'm not driving, the screen will power up when I get in the car. With the airbag on/off status indicator, it seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue but it also seems like it's affected by the temperature. I'm still not sure

Another interesting thing is that the screen is still active; I can still press things on the screen if I press in the right places it's just that the screen is blank as if it's not on but the touch function still works, it's just not displaying anything.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks
Not that many MS in the UK and it does not often get very hot so you will reach a much larger pool of people if you post on a US forum not the UK one.

I do it all the time. I had the ac running pretty much non-stop the last 2 days because I found the cabin overheat protection doesn’t really that good a job of cooling the car down (seems to give up at around 36 degrees)
There are settings for Cabin Overheat Protection, not sure where they are in the car but I think they are also in the app. On my car at least there are three temperature settings for it - 30C, 35C and 40C (default).

Cabin Overheat Protection only works for up to 12 hours after you last "drove" the car, so it won't work if you've left your car standing overnight and are expecting it to kick in the following afternoon. Thankfully the car will treat you opening and closing a door as a "drive" (not sure if the boot counts, opening the app definitely doesn't).

My car lives outside and my workflow in the summer is to open a door at around 9am, close it again, and around 3pm ish when the car is no longer in the shade it will wake up and stay under 40C until the late evening.

Been doing this 3 years without any issues, and the car loses maybe 1% a day doing this (up to 2% on the hottest days). I will admit that there is an element of ignorance is bliss about this - I never used to do it on previous cars, because I didn't know how hot it was inside remotely. BUT - Tesla has had heat-related issues in the past with the S/X (yellow borders on screen, glue bubbling, etc), so I err on the side of caution. I don't care about the car losing 1-2% a day if it means the interior is kept at a sensible temperature. It might even prevent premature aging?

The touchscreen on my 22 MY was recently unresponsive. was fixed by keeping both steering wheel buttons down until the screen went black and reset itself. But as of late, I've noticed that touching the screen to make selections causes it to feel extremely warm. The car is in the shade, the cabin protect is on, and other internal surfaces aren't nearly as hot as they would be if it weren't 95 degrees outside. Is this standard? Or "normal" for a vehicle that is generally fairly hot? Or is it possible that, like the lack of reactivity, it is an indication of a malfunction?

This actually happened to me a few times on my Euro road trip a couple of weeks ago. The screen would become slow and then completely unresponsive and a reset was the only way I got it back again. I raised a ticket with Tesla and they couldn;t find anything in the car's logs. But now I think about it I was driving for hours at a time where the back of the unit was exposed to direct sunlight, so could be performance degradation due to heat.

I've updated my ticket with that information.

It hasn't happened in previous Summers but I wonder if increased activity has meant the units are running hotter quicker.

Update on this: Tesla were initially reluctant for me to come in because they couldn’t find anything in the logs. I pressed them some more and they finally took it in on Tuesday with an estimated return on Wednesday. It’s now Friday and there has been absolutely no update.

I know something is happening because I can see when they drive or when the bonnet or doors are open. But I’ve not been told what is going on even after chasing, which is odd. The car is completely offline now (not asleep), which suggests the system has been powered down somehow.

Thankfully they gave me a loaner but I’m a bit concerned about the amount of time they’ve had my car for with no information.

Happened to me twice in last three days wherein the screen won’t respond to touch. Both after completing DC charging. 1st time there was a notification of cooling down, no such messages the 2nd time. 2nd time I was in the car and AC was running. Probably it’s heat related.

Mine has been a bit arsey this morning, both times I've got in it and the screen hasn't fired up. 1st was @ 7am so nice & cool, 2nd was just before lunch so a bit warmer. The radio comes on no probs. Did a 2 button reset both times and it came on.

I've also noticed the app/car combo has been selectively responsive the last couple of days too, I can open the boot remotely (way out of Bluetooth range for e.g.) and sometimes lock/unlock but I can't start the climate from the same place. The app just whirs round saying 'last seen 8mins ago'

Previous examples of these connection probs and 'odd' issues have usually come just prior to an update and then all is good, I wonder if we're due another update 🤔

Another update: Tesla engineer managed to reproduce the issue. The cooling system wasn't passing enough coolant to the computers (I think they said the SuperManifold Super Bottle was faulty), so they're having to replace that.

They also said it wasn't faulting because the parameters were technically within tolerance levels, so no errors were being logged. They might need to adjust those parameters...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Utumno and Adopado
Another update: Tesla engineer managed to reproduce the issue. The cooling system wasn't passing enough coolant to the computers (I think they said the SuperManifold was faulty), so they're having to replace that.

They also said it wasn't faulting because the parameters were technically within tolerance levels, so no errors were being logged. They might need to adjust those parameters...
if it was not even supplying enough coolant to keep it cool in the UK without triggering an error then yes I would say so.

Reactions: Adopado
Another update: Tesla engineer managed to reproduce the issue. The cooling system wasn't passing enough coolant to the computers (I think they said the SuperManifold was faulty), so they're having to replace that.

Is your car an early heat pump model? (SuperManifold comment)