Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to see AutoPark feature for parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little confused by what I am reading here about perpendicular parking. Does it pull in forward in in reverse?

When you pass the second car and engage AutoPark, it will turn wheel sharply and reverse. It will come close to the first car but slowly. It will then turn wheel sharply the other way, pull forward to straighten, and then reverse perfectly between the two cars and stop just short of the concrete wheel stop or the car behind you.

I was very impressed with the quality and alacrity of the parallel parking on my curved street. The car parked itself really quickly and perfectly. It was a little disconcerting how quickly it parked.

@MaryAnning3 not only am I now more informed about the car, but thanks to you I now have an expanded vocabulary! ‍
For the rest if you....

Alacrity
noun
1.cheerful readiness, promptness, or willingness:We accepted the invitation withalacrity.
2.liveliness; briskness.

I love when I'm at a stop light and the "P" shows up. I look over to see what it sees and I'm usually like, "Are you f'ing kidding me!?!" The space is half the size of the car. LOL

I also love the random perpendicular park where it shows the "U" space it wants to go...Usually in the grass next to the driveway (lush green before you ask!).

I've used it once successfully, while cool, still took too long to execute.

Here is a one liner :)
"under 10mph, as close to the spot as possible. keep driving until P displayed"

detail steps:
0) find a spot between two cars (either parallel or horizontal)
1) go real slow (say 5 miles per hour)
2) drive as close as possible to the intended spot
3) keep driving further from the spot until P appears
4) bring M3 to full stop
5) put it in reverse
6) follow on screen instructions
7) press break to get the hang of control (to get confident)

other observations:
feels very slow as we are just sitting there.
pressing break pauses autopark.
if possible, let the impatient driver(s) to pass by breaking :(
I'm not sure about pedestrian behavior, so I pause and let them go