Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, balancing occurs when you charge to 100% (probably above 93%, if I recall)
no screen shots, or details from op.. so, this is my hypothesis: the car did charge to 100%, then rebalanced and by the time he/she went to car, the car was indicating 97%: a combination of rebalancing and phantom losses.
Advice: activate the notifications on your mobile app, so that you get notifications when the car starts charging and is completed: you will get a notification with time of charge completion and % or miles present when charge completed. Sounds like battery needs balancing, so charge to 100% for three consecutive times (2 more times)...
Please report back with your findings

y, this is my hypothesis: the car did charge to 100%, then rebalanced and by the time he/she went to car, the car was indicating 97%: a combination of rebalancing and phantom losses.
Advice: activate the notifications on your mobile app, so that you get notifications when the car starts charging and is completed: you will get a notification with time of charge completion and % or miles present when charge completed. Sounds like battery needs balancing, so charge to 100% for three consecutive times (2 more times)...
Please report back with your findings

I do receive notifications as charging completes. I was notified with Charging Complete 97%.

I think this just happened to me too. I got my 2015 model S about a month ago and had only charged it to 90%. I had read posts about balancing the cells by charging to 100% occasionally and that it wasn't too bad for the battery if you didn't leave it at 100% for long. So, since I needed to make a long drive yesterday I decided to go ahead and charge to 100% for the first time. I checked it about 1 hour after the charge had completed and was pretty surprised to see it at only 98%. I wasn't sure if it had actually charged to 100% and then lost 2% in an hour (which seemed pretty unlikely) or if it only got up to 98%, but I guess it was the latter. I have another longish drive tomorrow, so maybe I'll do another 100% charge and see if it actually gets to 100% this time.