Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Umc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removing and inserting the NEMA14-50 module:
(Very nice!)
attachment.php?attachmentid=4717&d=1331866587.jpg

I WANT THIS.

Forget any other Roadster socket conversion. This is the way to go. When the new 2.0 plug is out with these adapters and Tesla (hopefully) or someone else like Tom S. does a car conversion I will get rid of everything else that is old Tesla and just look to the sexy future.

Seriously, I kind of hide or cringe with the heft of the current system with it's giant metal plug and copper filled garden hose. No more downplaying the plug. This makes me want to show it off, proud that it's light years ahead of a clunky gas nozzle and the decade old J1772 camel connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll probably use an adaptor for allowing roadsters to charge using the new UMC. *long sigh w/ shaking head*

I just hope that I(we) protested loudly enough to get them to retrofit the roadster's plug and not go the adaptor route. It'll be saddening to see them using the adaptor to allow for use with a roadster when a FW upgrade and a little bit of engineering will do quite nicely.

Well, as of today, I am ready for the UMC 2.0! The electrician just left my house, and I now have a 14-50 outlet in my garage. It might be a little bit early, but since I was having other work done, I figured I might as well be ready in advance.

outlet.jpg

I'm pretty sure ground-on-top is the standard way they're installed, and is technically right-side-up. If the manufacturer's logo is imprinted on the plastic, it will typically be right-side-up if the ground pin is on top. And the flat, right angle plugs that are often seen on appliance cords are usually designed so the cord runs down the wall with the ground pin on top. Any decent electrician will install it this way, because those right angle plugs are so common.

I've heard the 110V outlets are also intended to be installed with the ground pin on top, though they aren't usually installed that way that I've seen.

Yeah, NEMA14-50 is supposed to have the ground pin on top. Mistakes are sometimes made because the conventional way to install 120V NEMA5-15 & 5-20 is with the ground pin on the bottom. Here it is done correctly:

Attachments

• gndpin.jpg
    gndpin.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I'm wondering does this spell the end of high power J1772 charge stations? The wording on the Tesla website implies to me that J1772 support will be an inlet attached to the UMC 2.0 and since that is limited to 40A those few > 40A J1772 stations will not be fully usable even if you have the dual chargers. That just seems wrong! It's a real waste and more reasons to not build/install more than a run-of-the-mill charge station.

I'm wondering does this spell the end of high power J1772 charge stations? The wording on the Tesla website implies to me that J1772 support will be an inlet attached to the UMC 2.0 and since that is limited to 40A those few > 40A J1772 stations will not be fully usable even if you have the dual chargers. That just seems wrong! It's a real waste and more reasons to not build/install more than a run-of-the-mill charge station.

The adapter will actually attach to the car and the J1772 station you're charging at. You won't need a UMC 2.0. It doesn't mean the end of high power J1772 stations. Public J1772 stations >30A are virtually non-existent anyway so that's not much of a concern. If you happen to know of one that's along a route you'll take often and would allow you to make a frequent trip easily then the second charger would be worth it.

...The wording on the Tesla website implies to me that J1772 support will be an inlet attached to the UMC 2.0...

Yes, I think you are talking about this:
Universal Mobile Connector Comes with 110 volt standard household outlet adapter, 240 volt dryer outlet adapter, and J1772 public charging station adapter. Other outlet adapters available for purchase.

So it makes it sound like the J1772 adapter goes along with the UMC2, not "in lieu of".

But, I had been assuming it was a standalone adapter that plugs between the car and J1772, so doesn't need the UMC involved.
In theory the J1772 EVSE should provide the required/compatible signaling, so all you need is a physical plug/socket format adapter that passes through the correct wires to the correct pins. It shouldn't need any "smarts" inside.