Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was announced as a press release, rather than just starting to appear like many upgrades do. So that means it could be ages. I'll start thinking about it once the first one appears on, for example, Teslafi. Nothing yet.
The spring update was a press release and then I think based on Twitter posts, only Tesla-info actually had it on cars they track and they published the actual release notes which were then copied by Notateslaapp. There have also been individuals posting videos of it in use. Teslafi seem to get the latest info later and later nowadays, since the shift to the new fleet API so I certainly wouldn’t assume because they don’t have it means it’s not out.

Tesla typically (and sensibly) release to a small number of users and then wait to let the dust settle, depending on whether there are issues or not they’ll either extend the roll out or have to bug fix and re-release to a small number again. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear from 2024.12.1 release or more cars getting it in the next 24 hours.

The spring update was a press release and then I think based on Twitter posts, only Tesla-info actually had it on cars they track and they published the actual release notes which were then copied by Notateslaapp. There have also been individuals posting videos of it in use. Teslafi seem to get the latest info later and later nowadays, since the shift to the new fleet API so I certainly wouldn’t assume because they don’t have it means it’s not out.

Tesla typically (and sensibly) release to a small number of users and then wait to let the dust settle, depending on whether there are issues or not they’ll either extend the roll out or have to bug fix and re-release to a small number again. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear from 2024.12.1 release or more cars getting it in the next 24 hours.
Any of those in the UK?

I am actually wondering if we are going to get new auto park anytime soon twin the UK… I’ve got Tesla vision only and EAP so would love to play with it.
Looks like it's currently packaged with FSD 12 so US only... As they're running on a dedicated 2024.3 branch we might have to wait until they bring it to UI v12 as well, so I'm guessing it's still months away...

Genuinely irritated by the fact that Intel Atom is basically a legacy platform now. On the one hand I realise that technology marches on, but at the same time this feels more like planned obsolescence than anything. If it can play the various installed games I'm struggling to comprehend how it can't rotate a larger 3D model of a car, etc.

Wish there were a retrofit path for the Ryzen MCU too. Sadly since it's water cooled (vs heatsink for Atom) and part of the Octovalve circuit this is easier said than done, I think. Since I believe this is a planned obsolecence thing I have no reason to believe Tesla would expend any effort on it.

Reactions: Doudeau
Genuinely irritated by the fact that Intel Atom is basically a legacy platform now. On the one hand I realise that technology marches on, but at the same time this feels more like planned obsolescence than anything. If it can play the various installed games I'm struggling to comprehend how it can't rotate a larger 3D model of a car, etc.

Wish there were a retrofit path for the Ryzen MCU too. Sadly since it's water cooled (vs heatsink for Atom) and part of the Octovalve circuit this is easier said than done, I think. Since I believe this is a planned obsolecence thing I have no reason to believe Tesla would expend any effort on it.
It's not planned obsolescence. I mean we need to see what it looks like on an Intel Atom platform but if it's basically just missing the larger 3D model, who cares? Those of us that get it will spin it once, think that's cool and then never do it again.

It's not planned obsolescence. I mean we need to see what it looks like on an Intel Atom platform but if it's basically just missing the larger 3D model, who cares? Those of us that get it will spin it once, think that's cool and then never do it again.
This is just one feature. It’s already been made clear that Tesla Vision Park Assist (marshmallow view) will not be available to Intel MCUs. They get a cut down version.

Whilst the new park graphics aren’t substantial, it heralds a divergence in the UX. Logically now that Tesla have established this separation they will continue to develop the AMD based UX, with token, inferior updates to the Intel version, if those cars get it at all.

I can’t see that’s not planned obsolescence when the Atom can seemingly play the pre-installed games that are surely more taxing than an enlarged 3D vehicle view? Therefore it seems rather than a technical issue that it was a conscious choice to target only Ryzen cars, hence planned obsolescence.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I can’t see that’s not planned obsolescence when the Atom can seemingly play the pre-installed games that are surely more taxing than an enlarged 3D vehicle view? Therefore it seems rather than a technical issue that it was a conscious choice to target only Ryzen cars, hence planned obsolescence.
There's a general fixation on the large 3d vehicle graphic being somehow the deciding factor on whether Intel cars get the update or not. I'm sure that particular function is just one of many in the software branch. There are likely many other changes in the background that the Intel processor is not suited for, or equally likely that there are future functions that will only be added to that branch later. This is just the first release with that divergence of hardware support.

It's the first time Tesla has done this (as far as I'm aware) but in the long term it won't be the last. You can't support older hardware with new software features forever. Of course the obsolescence of the Intel platform was planned. It's the normal course of action for any technology platform. The main difference here is that other marques will keep their older hardware for longer and not be able to offer newer features so quickly.

Most owners are probably not expecting such a quick turnaround of hardware/software in a car but it needs to be remembered that the whole MO of Tesla is supposedly to be cutting edge and innovative. Whether you subscribe to the idea that it's a good thing or not is an individual point of view.

I don't disagree in the abstract, however:

1) Tesla actively trades off the USP of software updates making the car "better over time" (there were no less than 4 advertising hoardings promiting this when I was recently at a service centre). This to me renders the oft quoted counterargument of "other cars don't get any updates, they just get new models" arguments largely moot.

2) The change to Ryzen based MCU happened around the start of 2022. That means there are potentially people who cars are just over 2 years old that are effectively considered "legacy" and likely to receive a diminished update experience from here on in.