Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A M3P is going to shoot off very quickly, a Model 3 RWD on full throttle to turn off a limiter might be losing traction in the rear wheels in some weather conditions.
Just as an information point… that’s not how a SR+ or RWD behaves. You can give it full pedal and if the traction isn’t available there’s no scary outcome… it only gives you power to the limit of your available grip. It’s almost spooky when you know that if you did the same in most rwd cars you would be off into the weeds!

Reactions: andyorkney
Just as an information point… that’s not how a SR+ or RWD behaves. You can give it full pedal and if the traction isn’t available there’s no scary outcome… it only gives you power to the limit of your available grip. It’s almost spooky when you know that if you did the same in most rwd cars you would be off into the weeds!
OK maybe a bad exame as I agree Tesla traction control is extremely good. However this will be for all cars from all brands, including those ones that will end up in the weeds ;) Could cause more accidents than it prevents.

Anyway, it’s kind of pointless discussing the speed limiter. It’s nowhere to be seen in any release notes. Somebody just mentioned it 2 pages back.
Agreed. Not planned in this release. But nevertheless the regulation on Speed Limiters will kick in from 7th of July so we know a software update has to come before that for Tesla cars to remain compliant. I don’t see them pushing a SW version only to cars sold after this date so it’s more than likely that will benefit from in within the next couple of months. It has to happen.

As always with Tesla, one hopes the implementation will not be half-baked though.

one hopes the implementation will not be half-baked though.
And I wish our expectations are not based on the ‘high standards’ we had for our previous German cars!

Tesla will do it differently and 3/4th of the traditional legacy car brand loyalists are not going to like it unfortunately :). That’s been the storey all along - always ‘half empty’ never ‘half full’.

And I wish our expectations are not based on the ‘high standards’ we had for our previous German cars!

Tesla will do it differently and 3/4th of the traditional legacy car brand loyalists are not going to like it unfortunately :). That’s been the storey all along - always ‘half empty’ never ‘half full’.
Thats a little harsh, or is it a glowing endorsment on how good the Germans do these things?

There's a 3rd option to the glass half full / half empty, and thats the glass was designed properly in the first place

I'll get back on my horse.. :)

• Funny
Reactions: yessuz and Dilly
Still smarting a bit that my car is now officially legacy, being Atom. I'd feel more aggrieved if I'd bought an early 2022 car, though. This "v12 interface" sounds like a complete overhaul, not just the stuff you see whilst parked.

I would like to think that at some point in the future a MCU retrofit would be available. Although the MCU units are different sizes and have different connectors, it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man for Tesla to create a mounting bracket, a loom adapter and/or some kind of daughterboard setup to facilitate it.

I don't believe that the 12v lead acid battery would hold it back. Desktop computers that are far more powerful manage just fine with 12v rails.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Still smarting a bit that my car is now officially legacy, being Atom. I'd feel more aggrieved if I'd bought an early 2022 car, though. This "v12 interface" sounds like a complete overhaul, not just the stuff you see whilst parked.

I would like to think that at some point in the future a MCU retrofit would be available. Although the MCU units are different sizes and have different connectors, it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man for Tesla to create a mounting bracket, a loom adapter and/or some kind of daughterboard setup to facilitate it.

I don't believe that the 12v lead acid battery would hold it back. Desktop computers that are far more powerful manage just fine with 12v rails.
If I can retro my 2020 for the newer MCU as well as heated wheel I could see myself holding onto it for much longer.

Reactions: Durzel
If I can retro my 2020 for the newer MCU as well as heated wheel I could see myself holding onto it for much longer.
Same.

I was already likely going to be holding off buying another car until next year (likely the Plaid/Ludicrous M3) primarily to get the "kinks worked out" mid-refresh model (vs what happened when I got my early 2020 car and it was refreshed significantly at the end of that same year), but having pulled the trigger on a 4 year extended warranty if I could update the MCU to Ryzen I'd likely hold off longer.

HF Park Assist is a different kettle of fish. You can change the config on a car with USS to give it Tesla Vision instead, with the marshmallow parking and presumably the upcoming Autopark, but this disables ultrasonics as you would expect. As I understand it this can even be done with the public Tesla Toolbox 3 which you can pay ~£35 for an hour subscription to.

If I had to speculate the reason USS cars haven't been moved over to Tesla Vision is because there is no feature parity at the moment. Anyone on sub 2024.11 (I think) software won't have the Tesla Vision Autopark, and no one with non-USS has any version of Summon. Switching USS cars to TV would therefore remove paid-for features that previously worked.

The question is - at the moment at least - why would you want to lose your accurate ultrasonics?

It wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla release new features to current hardware now, but filter down many to older hardware later. Its happened in the past, including several HW3 features that apparently were too complex for HW2.x, but over time we’re implemented. I think similar also happened when v11 UI made an appearance, some of the implementation took time to filter down to older hardware.

Tbh, I’m still waiting for my car to do what I paid for nearly 5 years ago, so not in any hurry to expect it to do new things, although manually instigated speed limiter would be nice. Plenty of roads around here where a speed limiter would be far more useful than constantly adjusting speed of TACC.

HF Park Assist is a different kettle of fish. You can change the config on a car with USS to give it Tesla Vision instead, with the marshmallow parking and presumably the upcoming Autopark, but this disables ultrasonics as you would expect. As I understand it this can even be done with the public Tesla Toolbox 3 which you can pay ~£35 for an hour subscription to.

If I had to speculate the reason USS cars haven't been moved over to Tesla Vision is because there is no feature parity at the moment. Anyone on sub 2024.11 (I think) software won't have the Tesla Vision Autopark, and no one with non-USS has any version of Summon. Switching USS cars to TV would therefore remove paid-for features that previously worked.

The question is - at the moment at least - why would you want to lose your accurate ultrasonics?
Even for the Intel MCU?

There was a talk of bringing it (soon) to USS cars using sensor fusion, so not disabling the USS entirely. This would be my preferred method, as USS can be a failsafe. If they report an obstruction less than 1 ft away, and Tesla Vision doesn't, then immediately aborting the autopark manoeuvre would be the right thing to do.

But of course this would mean admitting that USS sensors have a very real use case, and that Tesla was wrong for removing them 18 months ago... so, will see...

I think your villagers worry that if someone is hit the difference between 20 and 30 or 35 is literally life and death.
That's why there's a lot of twenty's plenty signs near me, and when it's school clearing out time and I drive past the primary in my mind a child is at the edge of each parked car ready to walk out. I crawl past.
I think my point is I don't need a sign to tell me that and those who do just ignore them anyway. Dangerous drivers are dangerous, I suppose they'd be limited by this initiative, depending on implementation. Perhaps it would make things worse the way people accelerate after speed cameras.
Indeed. As cars are getting heavier (especially BEVs), speed reduction is the only element authorities can play on to minimise the severity of accidents with pedestrians.
An impact at 21mph with a car weighting 2t gives off the same amount of kinetic energy than a 1t car used to at 30mph...

Of course some will argue that the materials used now are better at shock absorption than the steel boxes we used to drive 30 years ago, but you can't change the laws of physics...

It wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla release new features to current hardware now, but filter down many to older hardware later. Its happened in the past, including several HW3 features that apparently were too complex for HW2.x, but over time we’re implemented. I think similar also happened when v11 UI made an appearance, some of the implementation took time to filter down to older hardware.

Tbh, I’m still waiting for my car to do what I paid for nearly 5 years ago, so not in any hurry to expect it to do new things, although manually instigated speed limiter would be nice. Plenty of roads around here where a speed limiter would be far more useful than constantly adjusting speed of TACC.
the only thing being it is silly to believe that bigger car on screen while parked is absolutely impossible to run on atom.. come on...

• Funny
Indeed. As cars are getting heavier (especially BEVs), speed reduction is the only element authorities can play on to minimise the severity of accidents with pedestrians.
An impact at 21mph with a car weighting 2t gives off the same amount of kinetic energy than a 1t car used to at 30mph...

Of course some will argue that the materials used now are better at shock absorption than the steel boxes we used to drive 30 years ago, but you can't change the laws of physics...
The notion of cars "getting heavier" is so silly, that it is so hard to believe people still using it and try to justify something.

go and check model 3 weight vs BMW 3 series - what is total weight....