Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK/Ireland and RHD Only - Queries and Comments for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla are known to peruse the TMC forums but due to the large number of posts, I suspect that many queries and comments raised go unnoticed.

Whilst Tesla is very much a global company, it is not uncommon for queries and comments that appear to specifically affect UK and/or RHD vehicles or customers. This thread has been setup for UK and/or RHD owners to raise queries and comments to Tesla for topics that specifically affect our experiences in the UK and Ireland region or of RHD vehicles.

Tesla America are aware of the intentions of this thread but there is no guarantee that any action will be taken from any queries and comments raised. Do not expect your query or comment to be answered - this is not an open Q and A with Tesla but they have agreed to take a look at the thread.

To aid readability, please keep each query or comment succinct. The like button will add weight to a particular query or comment rather than duplicating information.

If you wish to add more content or add further comment on another post, please do so in a separate thread and post a link to that post. There is a dedicated thread UK/Ireland and RHD Only - Queries and Comments for Tesla - Further Discussion setup for discussion of queries or comments not covered elsewhere in this sub forum.

General queries or comments that can be answered by other forum members or by booking a service centre visit are best left to general sub forum posts. This thread is for topics that Tesla can act upon and you feel are not being addressed elsewhere.

To keep this thread on topic for the intended purpose as a 'hotline to Tesla', posts may be moved or deleted to maintain the integrity and spirit of this thread.

Last edited:
Availability of spare parts

The availability of spare parts seem to be a significant blocker for some vehicle repairs. It is not uncommon to find a vehicle involved in even a fairly minor accident or experiencing a minor fault to either be off the road for weeks (or even months) or require repeat visits to be repaired. Not only is this inconvenient to owners, it will no doubt have an impact on repair/insurance costs as alternate forms of transport needs to be factored in to costs.

Example for further information Tesla's don't like Deer

Last edited:
The e-SIM in the UK is Netherlands or Spain based. Many popular services are region locked like BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc so cannot be accessed. Others like Netflix provide localised content and even YouTube provides regional adverts etc. This is not really acceptable especially given that premium connectivity is an expensive paid addon.

More info : How do I get the web browser to recognise I'm in the UK? Want to watch BBC iPlayer!
Watching Netflix or YouTube in model 3
Which country is the internet linked to

Last edited by a moderator:
Navigation: Roundabout (Rotary) Exits

Sat Nav poor at telling you which exit you need. Some speculation it counts counter-clockwise over clockwise.

Infotainment: DAB Text Scrolling

Radio text doesn’t show all info. Other cars scroll the text.

Not technically RHD but I’m not sure the USA have DAB radio (Satellite Radio Instead?). Request rather than fault.

AP Left Bias / Veering

On three lane motorways (freeways), when driving adjacent the central divider the car seems to hug the left side of the lane. Often uncomfortably close for me and passengers to other vehicles. Particularly bad for lorries which seem like magnets.
This behaviour has probably changed overtime. Don’t believe its camera alignment. Could be a LHD/RHD programming / NN issue. Could be perception (I.e. car is actually central in lane). Might be sorted now/what do people think?

Discussion

Water Issues

Yes these can affect cars in any market but the UK is very wet. It typically rains more than 1mm over 170 days a year in England. In Scotland it is more like 250 days. As a result ability to deal with water REALLY matters to us. Far more it seems than to the desert dwellers of California. There have been a huge number of water related issues on the M3 in the UK including but not limited to:

Auto Windscreen wipers that are still not fit for purpose particularly bad at night and in spray
Water leaks into the boot lid
water leaks into the boot, from several different causes
water leaks into / fogging up of the rear lights, fog lights, front lights
fogging up of the B pillar cameras
front and rear under shields damaged by driving through puddles
Water in the wiring on early RHD M3's now fixed but no recall for potentially affected vehicles!
water running into the boot when the boot lid opened ( fixed on later models)

For us these things are not an occasional annoyance but a daily problem. Much more wet weather testing needed in future before release to this market.

Is the autopilot software being actively improved for UK driving or is it still on the same legacy code from 2016?

Tesla America are aware of the intentions of this thread but there is no guarantee that any action will be taken from any queries and comments raised. Do not expect your query or comment to be answered - this is not an open Q and A with Tesla but they have agreed to take a look at the thread.

Last edited:
SPEED LIMITER. with a range of 10 - 75mph
programmable in the same way as TACC. Essential in the UK for avoiding being caught by a speed camera in areas where TACC or AP are unusable.

The number of speed cameras in the UK is positively overwhelming!
Presently, Tesla shares the same over speed ‘bong’ warning technology as a 2012 Toyota Prius!

Additional comments : UK/Ireland and RHD Only - Queries and Comments for Tesla - Further Discussion

Charging Start Stop Times and Scheduled Departure

According to the M3 manual when using Scheduled departure "Your vehicle aims to finish charging before 6am (end of off-peak hours). If given sufficient time to charge, charging may stop at 6am, even if your scheduled departure is later. "

So the charging phase of the process seems to be based around a mythical "6am end of off peak hours" We do have a thing called Economy 7 in the UK where off peak ends around that time but it is not relevant for the vast majority of people now and is on the way out.
What most EV owners in the UK have is 3-5 hours of off peak at some point between 8pm and 5am which is around 1/3rd the cost and the car does not provide any way to optimise charging for that. What we really need is charge between times i.e. start and stop times to allow us to limit charging to between those times. I know Tesla like to keep things neat simple but the current approach just forces people into using 3rd party solutions which are neither, or using the crude start time + setting the charge limit method which then does not allow for preheating.

Supercharger Sites with Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras.

This seems to be very much a UK phenomenon. We are happy to have every Supercharger site you install and understand that sometimes places like hotel carparks are the only suitable locations.
But we also have a problem in the UK where by hotels etc engage extremely aggressive 3rd party companies to "manage" their carparks. This typically involves installing ANPR cameras, along with deliberately poor and confusing signage, and a process to register your presence at the location often via a terminal in the reception. This invariably ends up with Tesla owners ending up with bills of £50-£100 when they don't follow the process. Sometimes its not even possible e.g. when hotels were closed due to COVID.
I appreciate Tesla do not have total control here but what I would like them to do is to recognise the problem and pressure the site owners to put up proper signage, or even put up some themselves, and check out the sites to make sure the process is fair and workable . I know this is generally in the supercharger details for these sites but it could also be flagged up as a warning on the screen with instructions when entering these sites or connecting to the supercharger.
Even better Tesla could find a way to register a vehicle on our behalf when it connects to a supercharger.

Follow up comments : UK/Ireland and RHD Only - Queries and Comments for Tesla - Further Discussion

Satnav Improvements

Waypoints are a baffling omission (not a uniquely UK issue).

Routing options - e.g. Fastest/Most Direct/Avoid or Prioritise Freeways - and route choice/selection would be especially helpful in the UK and Ireland. The current satnav often seems to default to 'most direct' (one-track country lanes etc.), even when there's a faster-but-longer route involving freeways that Google Maps running on a cellphone would default to.

More information: Looks like I'm moving on...

I’m sure that most UK & Ireland owners would share my thanks to @VanillaAir_UK for starting this thread. It lays down a good number of shortcomings that are specific to the UK and Ireland. I’m not sure that anyone at Tesla HQ realises just how untrustworthy their cars can be when driven on AP and how we live with it and the other annoyances. The real shame is that all the aspects in this thread, whilst perhaps fine in the US, are software solvable for the UK and making those changes would go a long way to giving the UK the same remarkable cars that our Stateside cousins enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.