Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I indicate exiting a mini-roundabout, like you should.

It does happen and should happen moreso arguably given the shorter judgement timeframe of others nearby.
You've quoted the specific part of the RTA that doesn't state that you should indicate to leave, whereas the regulation for larger roundabout is clear you should. It's not mandatory to indicate to leave a mini-roundabout.

Reactions: EVMeister
Indicating isn’t legally required at all, but it is helpful to do so. Traffic police know this well, so they don’t.

I say more so at tighter roundabouts where minor collision risk is higher - except of course not all do it right, so there’s that…

Self-driving vehicles should just drive well and do so reliably to improve safety.

Indicating isn’t legally required at all, but it is helpful to do so. Traffic police know this well, so they don’t.

I say more so at tighter roundabouts where minor collision risk is higher - except of course not all do it right, so there’s that…

Self-driving vehicles should just drive well and do so reliably to improve safety.
While not necessarily legally enforced, the highway code is the definition of what you should do

No requirement to indicate to leave mini-roundabouts in Rule 188 however there is in rule 186 for larger roundabouts.

Driving instructors have different priority though, they want to ensure student drivers are paying attention in the tricky mini-roundabouts.

So they advise not to indicate (when not legally required) to focus more on the surroundings. No problem indicating, is useful if capacity to do so.

Back on track...

Is there a reason to not let the car update to 2023.44.30.8? I've read some stuff, possibly on here and definitely on other groups about this particular update making the cabin camera monitoring really sensitive. So far I have not had any issues with strikes or warnings for not paying attention other than more frequent requests to nudge the steering wheel.

I’m not sure I understand your point. Highway code is mostly 'should' and guidance. Only the bits labelled 'MUST' are legal obligations.

The RTA quote I did begins “Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts”.
Yes, indicating to leave mini-roundabouts is not indicated at all, it is neither a 'should' or a 'must'.

'Approach' is defined in rule 184, it means what you should do when approaching a roundabout, it's not referring to 'your approach to roundabouts'.

Reactions: KennethS and Js1977
I was explicitly taught that indicating on smaller mini roundabouts is pointless by 2 highly qualified driving instructors in the past 10 years. Maybe some of you indicator-sticklers need a refresher. ;)
Thats terrible instruction in my opinion. How can it be pointless to alert other drivers to your intention?

And when does a mini become a large? That just creates ambiguity. What about medium sized roundabouts? What about small roundabouts? What about big roundabouts, pretty big, but not large?

Thats terrible instruction in my opinion. How can it be pointless to alert other drivers to your intention?

And when does a mini become a large? That just creates ambiguity. What about medium sized roundabouts? What about small roundabouts? What about big roundabouts, pretty big, but not large?
It wasn't a general rule for small roundabouts, it was specifically for mini roundabouts that are small enough that an exit signal would be a waste of time and electricity, given the direction of the car would make it abundantly clear where you were exiting. No need for a split second exit signal on those ones.

a waste of time and electricity
u wot m8?

1705072052172.png