Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people have had a Type 2 connector freeze up?

My experience has been that Type 1 connectors regularly freeze up, but always the release lever on the connector, but I've not had a Type 2 ever freeze up. I guess it's possible that water could make it's way in around the edges and freeze it in place, but the Type 1 could have suffered in the same way, yet never did in the five years I had a car with one.

I suspect that the charge port heater may be something intended for the North American market, plus, perhaps, Scandinavia, where long periods of sub-zero weather are normal in winter time.

The one area of the car that does really need some form of de-icing is the door handles. They definitely do freeze up, even with a relatively brief overnight frost, and need a hard bang to break them free.

The charge port (and door handles) do vent warm air if preheating the cabin on hi. I found it not to be particularly effective on door handles, but last year we also had several roof seal faults so we may not have been getting the highest airflow out through these vents. Door handles ae imho flawed in design, acting like little buckets where water can accumulate then freeze. It only seemed to be a significant issue if we had a sudden overnight freeze following a damp snap. The manual has an ever growing list of winter preparation ideas.

Maybe I missed it in this thread (I scanned through, but there are a lot of posts now!), but my M3P updated to 2020.40.4 last night, and the first thing I noticed this morning is that PIN to display has changed - slightly different graphics (blobs) and no 'Allow' button anymore, just get to the forth digit and off you go...

Reactions: MOBB
Whats the feeling on the charge point heating? From what Ive seen no one in the UK has mentioned seeing this in their patch notes, but even owners who took delivery in September saying the same.

It'd be nice to know if the functionality was there before we find out one cold meeting and end up being late for work as a result!
Mine was delivered March 2020. No mention of port heater.

^ same here even though Tesla Sofware Updates for 40.4 on Tesla Software Updates - Not a Tesla App show this as 'worldwide'
ILHOJvw.png

4bhwTPh.png

Might be an idea to do a test to see if the charge port warms up. Wait for a cold night, measure the temperature of the charge port with the door open, using an IR thermometer, turn on preconditioning to high, and monitor the charge port to see if it warms up. Even better might be to point a thermal imaging camera at it. I have a small Seek Thermal one, that plugs into an Android tablet, so might give it a go on the next cold, windless evening.

• Helpful
Reactions: OneTinyFish
Well, I've had a bit of a drive and AP seems a bit more stable and I like not needing to make the extra key tap when entering P2D but I'm disappointed with the Bluetooth priority, I assumed it was going to use this for the driver profile but it seems to just be for calls/streaming audio?

Well, I've had a bit of a drive and AP seems a bit more stable and I like not needing to make the extra key tap when entering P2D but I'm disappointed with the Bluetooth priority, I assumed it was going to use this for the driver profile but it seems to just be for calls/streaming audio?

Maybe I've misunderstood but it looks like that's what's happening when I've been testing it this morning. With each profile I can set a priority device. So if my wife's phone is closest it loads her profile when unlocked and also connects for audio and calls.

If a chargeport heater is going to turn up on UK Model 3s it seems certain now that it’ll be on MY21 cars, with the other changes recently reported.

I had assumed that it was on the USB-C config cars, but it seems not.

2020.40.4. Reboot randomly once, had to force reboot twice. Doesn’t know where the car is currently location is where it last rebooted and smart charging doesn’t appear to be working either (rebooted app and phone).