Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
very helpful comment: they could use the price to actively deter drivers from using the charging station (though I'd assume most Porsche drivers are rather price insensitive), and/or finance any overproportionate battery degradation for the specific car by using parts of the proceeds for each charging of a specific vehicle to pay for a "battery replacement under warranty".

That reasoning makes Porsche sound so daft, that I thought I better provide the source:

Porsche says ‘Tesla’s Superchargers are not sustainable’, they will charge more for their own charging network

Regarding excess Model 3s in a few locations, I can report that here in Hawaii deliveries are ongoing at a furious pace and that all Model 3s in the state, even those used as demonstrators in stores, have been sold for 2018 delivery. I think Hawaii is more the norm than the exception, but it would be good to hear about other locations so we can get a bigger sampling.

Interesting.

Admittedly, my idea of Hawaii is limited to friendly, indigenous women in banana skirts and higher adoption rates for residential solar power.

If the latter impression is correct, couldn't that contribute to Tesla's being more popular in Hawaii that in continental USA?

Republicans, like all politicians, simply follow the money.
"The five states that get the largest percentage of their power from wind turbines — Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, Oklahoma and North Dakota — all voted for Mr. Trump. So did Texas, which produces the most wind power in absolute terms. In fact, 69 percent of the wind power produced in the country comes from states that Mr. Trump carried in November."

It would be more convincing if wind power didn't require certain conditions and environment (geography, weather etc) and I think it is more likely that these conditions just happen to be more favourable in red states. So renewable energy is growing despite them being in red states, not thanks to it

And besides, I wasn't talking about renewable energy. I was talking about general policy, attitude and ideology. Nice try.

Yes, and the assertion I was trying to dispel was that Republicans would never support anything good for the environment.
If this happens, it would be despite their ideology, not thanks to it. So I'm not inclined to credit them for it.

Many were negative before that. Go all the way back to the NYT Broder fiasco for example, even earlier to the Roadster days.
MSM has always been negative about EVs - whether BBC or NYT. They have gotten better over the years. If that is your starting point (Feb, 2013), then liberal media was never pro-Musk.
Media negativity didn't start when Elon quit the policy forum.
Ofcourse it all started with Obama's green push - and loans to Tesla. That made Musk a favorite target of Conservatives - so, naturally, liberals started defending Musk. Come 2016, the loan memory faded away and now the main point was pro or anti-Trump. Liberals started embracing anyone seen as anti-Trump - including people who were called war criminals earlier like Bill Kristol and David Frum. If Musk had resigned from the policy forum, liberals would have overlooked other "issues".

General (not auto-specific) media had been positive about Musk. My twitter feed barely had any anti-Musk tweets before that time. There were further problems too. Then it came out that may be Musk wasn't a liberal after all - he had donated generously to Republicans. Then Musk going after some journalists (MSM is very particular about that - see how KSA started getting attacked after a journalist got killed, but they totally ignored KSA starving 10,000 kids to death in Yemen) - and people started comparing his attacks on media with Trump's attack on media. In fact in the Kara Swisher interview, she talks about it. You have to play a certain game to be in the good books of NY media - if you don't, the conventional wisdom changes and they all start attacking you. You can literally see that happening on twitter, if you follow the MSM folks.

Conservative Group, Liberal Bloggers Clash Over Elon Musk

Elon Musk Melts Down on Twitter Over Media Criticism - Who Is Elon Musk

Didn’t see this link here yet: Tesla Model 3: EU Bestellungen/Orders

It’s a list of European reservations. Based on the invoice number (seems to be a sequence number per country) for the 3K euro deposit, there are currently about 12K firm orders from Europe. Probably not much more can be delivered in Q1 2019.
Assuming most of these are from people that already payed the 1K long ago, this is about 24M euro worth of deposits.

Interesting. Very high level of AP adoption.

I could not make an entry in the new entry tab though. Not sure why...

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Except that's not how ordering and deliveries work at Tesla. They don't pump a bunch of cars to a dealership to be sold, there are no dealerships.

As with every other parking lot shocker of the past year, those are likely just cars awaiting delivery/pickup.

Ah, so I guess the two sales associates were lying to me :rolleyes: they overproduced for the Northeast in order for everyone to have a chance to get that juicy $7500 credit

I’m not saying that Tesla won’t report 60k+ deliveries, but they do have cars available. If they are RWD it would def make sense because no one in NJ buys the RWD

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: dc_h and neroden
Here is an interesting article looking at the social sentiment expressed on Reddit about Musk.

The Internet is Changing its Mind about Elon Musk – Hacker Noon
The internet changes its mind about a lot of people. It’s not surprising that Elon Musk is one of them.

Perhaps Musk’s descent into infamy is self-inflicted. For too long, he has over-promised and under-delivered and now his critics have come home to roost.

Or maybe we are treating Musk like we treat every celebrity. The combination of our obsession for news and drama and the echo-chamber of social media groups turns every tidbit of controversy into an avalanche.

1_M4ummW5weGXzbEAZ4X_riA.png

Didn’t see this link here yet: Tesla Model 3: EU Bestellungen/Orders

It’s a list of European reservations. Based on the invoice number (seems to be a sequence number per country) for the 3K euro deposit, there are currently about 12K firm orders from Europe. Probably not much more can be delivered in Q1 2019.
Assuming most of these are from people that already payed the 1K long ago, this is about 24M euro worth of deposits.

Thanks appreciated. Really interesting !

@Troy this could be helpful information for you to be included in your model. As far as I understand you don't have yet data points from Europe.

Ah, so I guess the two sales associates were lying to me :rolleyes: they overproduced for the Northeast in order for everyone to have a chance to get that juicy $7500 credit

I’m not saying that Tesla won’t report 60k+ deliveries, but they do have cars available. If they are RWD it would def make sense because no one in NJ buys the RWD
Salespeople almost never exaggerate.

I want RWD and I'm in Philly. You saying folks are concerned about snow? I'd rather have the feel of RWD.

I'll interrogate these sales people next week if I'm up that way.

OT

I thought the same, but after @MP3Mike 's post I checked, and Tesla does currently list three types of drive units for the 3 as he said. Whether Tesla typoed the description in Tesla's parts catalog is anyone's guess...

View attachment 364687

Is one of those the front induction motor? Because non-AWD / non-P rear drive units have been taken apart and they all use SiC mosfets. The induction motors could be different, however.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I’m at the Paramus NJ Tesla showroom. They have maybe 60+ Model 3 available for sale, and that’s just one of their lots
Are you just assuming that all are for sale or did you actually talk to someone there who said all of those are available ?

End of last quarter, Tesla was delivering 100+ cars a day at my nearest delivery center. So having a couple of hundred cars waiting to be delivered wouldn't be unusual at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.