Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even hedging this one, zero. NFW. :D Its going to be a good call tomorrow and he's not sharing it with an outsider. Just the team.
I'm hoping the chairman is someone that pushes the SP higher and is announced a couple of days later.

If its someone like Gates, I think even shorts would find it hard to argue Tesla is going bankrupt soon.

Arrrgh you people.. DO NOT TALK SMACK ABOUT NETFLIX. If Tesla had half the managerial execution and restraint against silly distractions (Solar City, NN chips, falcon wing doors, flufferbots, etc.) they'd be at least half Netflix's market cap already rather than the trifling GM valued layabouts they are now. Netflix monopolizes like half the internet backbone at times and they never go down. How many data centers do they have in flood plain communist countries? ZERO! They do what they say they are gonna do. In 5 years of trying they passed HBO as leading Emmy nominee winner. Don't get me started on cash flow. That's investment just like it is with Tesla. Reed Hastings should be in the running for chairman! How many pedo tweets does he have? ZERO! I bet Calibear just rewatched Life of Brian on Netflix like I did! We're gonna be streaming Netflix on Mars. It will be the principal interstellar waste of time enjoyed by the Culture itself. Just you wait.

To be fair Netflix isn’t attacked by Oil and fake news 24/7. And no one is talking any smack about Netflix, we’re giving you reasons why their stock is dropping.

Many websites have the release dates for earnings reports of publicly traded companies.

My notes ..Doesn't mention anything about # of days notice ...

Yeah, so in the U.S. announcing the earnings date is entirely voluntary: ~40% of the publicly traded firms in the U.S. never announce an earnings date, ~45% do it intermittently, only ~15% do it for every quarter.

I.e. there are thousands of publicly traded firms in the U.S. that never announced an earnings date in their existence - not 14 days in advance, not 2 days in advance, not even 48 seconds in advance: they just file and announce their earnings when they are ready.

So the 48 hours announcement is already a voluntary courtesy from Tesla. Moving the call webcast by an hour per analyst request is also super polite. "I need more time to spin Tesla earnings negatively!" is not a valid excuse. :D

I also approve of Tesla not pre-announcing an earnings date 14 days in advance: in the past it gave shorts and FUDsters far too much time to attack.

Also, note that Tesla's earnings date is early: according to several studies releasing earlier than expected strongly correlates with good or better than expected earnings. Their usual date would be Oct 31 - Nov 2.

Last edited:
48 hours qualifies as reasonable, unless you’re short then everything is flipping unreasonable.
Especially if a company's high volume product is selling as fast it is being made and the most expensive version is selling so well that alot of consumers are getting left out who can't buy in. This would be deleterious to a company(s) whose business model is based on destroying other company(s) value... Hmm maybe should create a new product credit default short, wherein insurance is sold to back short sellers...

Reactions: sundaymorning
Anyone seeing an "Access Denied" page when clicking on this link?
upload_2018-10-22_22-29-27.png

Some antonio dude there mentioned you can only give short notice like this if there’s material information that can move the market - per SEC rules.

Is he talking out his ear?

It's unrelated: there's no requirement to pre-announce an earnings date - in fact Tesla already dropped a surprise earnings report two years ago, with no pre-announcement.

Not sure what that guy is talking about: earnings reports are by definition material information in their entirety - nobody but the closest inner circle is allowed to know the quarterly report at this point, so you bet they are going to move markets. :D

NASDAQ rules do ask big news not to be dropped during regular trading hours - but that's common courtesy to investors anyway: it would be awful for a faithful long who restructures a TSLA position on a quiet afternoon (such as rolling forward options) to be caught unawares and miss the move up.

Last edited:
This is true, if earnings are great (& even before that) Shorts gonna cry "foul" again. Would have been better to stick to at least Oct 31st ..IMHO .. (Market doesn't like sudden moves)

Disagree. It’s a mistake to walk on egg shells and kowtow because of and to the shorts. They are going to hate on Tesla regardless, so Tesla should just do it their way.

And the market should long since be used to Tesla doing it their way. Maybe they should stop eating the donuts Bob’s been handing out all these YEARS and go on a diet and health regime. Or come into the 21st century already.

Status
Not open for further replies.