Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could just sit him down for ten minutes and explain (from first principles!) why trains are more efficient.... Grrr. We badly need cheaper tunneling, but just put trains in the tunnels, Elon. Trains are the only method of passenger transportation over land ever to make a fully-loaded (capital, maintenance of entire route and buildings, etc. etc.) profit, and there are physics first principles reasons for that.

(P.S. We could use more battery electric trains.)

Since it’s still the weekend, which passenger rails are breaking even/profitable? Why do we have Amtrak? If the original railroads were not handed the land grants and monopoly status (effectively) would they have ever have shown a profit?

Electric trains are super efficient and I love em. Seems like EU has figured this out as well as Japan although I am not sure of the public subsidies.

Certainly curious if you know.

Thanx

Fire Away!:)

Some people wax poetic about shorts being the checks and balances for the ever churning froth of Wall Street. Justification chosen over remediation. However to be blunt, shorts seemingly lack any moral fortitude. The world burns. People are literally dying from the paths people before them chose to take. A few companies in the landscape of the status quo are fighting for change.

So in my humble opinion, there is a HUGE need to get emotional about it.

I don't think emotion and investing go hand an hand personally. I think of this as a bet based on the fundamentals and nothing more. I don't want people to lose their jobs, but the ability for a company to pay its workers is dependent on those who run it, not some people who pay premium on options or borrow shares. If I am long a stock I believe in, I like the short thesis, but at the end of the day its only my money and myself making the decision to invest. The rest of the chatter is just noise.

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash
Lot of European publications pushing the headline of "Elon stepping down" – and people are apparently eating it.

Let's all pack up, we've reached peak stupidity.

Just checked three Icelandic papers. Two weren't covering it, one said:

"Samkvæmt samkomulaginu mun Musk stíga til hliðar sem stjórnarformaður fyrirtækisins og greiða 20 milljón dala sekt. Hann mun þó áfram fá að starfa sem forstjóri félagsins."

AKA:

"According to the agreement, Musk will step down as the managing director of the company and pay a $20m fine. He will however continue to be able to work as the president of the company."

Not entirely accurate, that should be"framkvæmdastjóri" (CEO), not "forstjóri" (president). :Þ

How about Secretary Steven Chu for chairman. Nobel Laureate. Energy secretary under Obama.

Steven Chu - Wikipedia

OMG, I love Steven Chu! He'd be perfect!

I actually have a quote from him in my rotating Slashdot sig file: "Now we're getting to science - I love this!" A senator made the mistake of asking him a science-related question during his confirmation hearings and gave him a chance to nerd out ;)

+1

I heard Mr. Chu give the Commencement Address at my daughter’s college graduation. He seems like a very smart but down to earth guy who could best represent Tesla’s mission “to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.”

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-30_8-42-4.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-30_8-42-4.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 40
WARNING: Weekend Offtopic Continued...

Nope, the M109A6 "Paladin" is an upgraded M109 SP 155mm with autoloader and GPS/onboard fire control. Lower crew count, too. Like a MLRS for Med. Field Bty.

Yeah [rattles dogtags]. CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick, Summer 1982. Only place on earth I've ever seen swamps on the SIDE of a hill (why are army bases always in the armpit of the world?) An armoured crew got their Chieftan 1 stuck in a bog during a night move. They walked back to their Squadron Leger (assembly area) to roll armoured recovery. But when they got back, the tank was gone. No tracks, no trace, no nothing. The swamp just ATE it. And it was NEVER found. Swear to God.

P.S. How do you tell the difference between a fairy tale and a army story? A fairy tale starts "Once upon a Time" and an army story starts "This is no $h1t". :D

I had a friend who served in an intelligence / communications unit during the first Gulf War (normally a desk jockey, but everyone got mobilized for that). I don't remember exactly what sort of vehicles they were traveling in, but they had big dishes and antennas on the top. One day they were moving through an area that was supposed to have been cleared, but as they crossed a ridge they saw a bunch of Iraqi soldiers all lined up and trying to surrender. And as they examined the area, they found all sorts of buried gun positions, anti-tank weaponry, etc, etc, vs. them who were travelling in only light vehicles; they could easily have been all killed. So they had their translator ask them why they didn't fire, and the response was: "When we saw the death rays on the top of your vehicles, we knew all was lost"

This of course almost certainly wouldn't have worked with the regular army, but they were just conscripts, with almost no training. They'd just had "robotic" cruise missiles and "invisible" airplanes which couldn't be shot down attacking their country with impunity, and they personally had been subjected to bombardment with daisy cutters for the past several days, with the US having full control of their airspace. By that point, they were ready to believe pretty much anything about what weaponry the US military had ;)

It is, of course, also possible that the Iraqis were just BS'ing for a good excuse to get out of having to fight ;) I'd put the odds at about 50-50.

If I could just sit him down for ten minutes and explain (from first principles!) why trains are more efficient.... Grrr. We badly need cheaper tunneling, but just put trains in the tunnels, Elon. Trains are the only method of passenger transportation over land ever to make a fully-loaded (capital, maintenance of entire route and buildings, etc. etc.) profit, and there are physics first principles reasons for that.

(P.S. We could use more battery electric trains.)

A mode of transport that leaves at a time you don't want from a place you aren't with people onboard that you don't want to be with to another place you don't want to go. North America has voted the same thing with their wallets, even if they are unable to express such things in speech.

My point was Elon was attacked for expressing such un-P.C. opinions.

+1

I heard Mr. Chu give the Commencement Address at my daughter’s college graduation. He seems like a very smart but down to earth guy who could best represent Tesla’s mission “to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.”

You know, this brings up a more general issue: the notion that the independent directors should be from academia, in general. People who choose to go into academia rather than the private sphere are pretty much by definition not hungry for self-enrichment.

Status
Not open for further replies.