Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been following Renaissance Technologies' investment in TSLA?

I noticed a while ago that they had increased their shares, but since they are known as a quant fund (with huge returns) I assumed this was some sort of hedge or piece of an options play. An article out today suggests it is a straightforward investment. Billionaire Hedge Fund Guru Jim Simons Finds Promise in MU & TSLA

Pretty sure that to hold up to 16 people they will need to come up with a new chassis design that they can implement the Model S/X battery pack with that will provide all the needed room and accessibility for the pods. Skates instead of wheels and boom, you're good to go.

Dan

Question is do they even need batteries? They just might go with standard electrified train/tram system and get power from lines above / tracks.

If I were them I wouldn't use batteries for the pods. They have contact with metallic rails, so should be able to electrify the track like a typical subway. I think that would be much cheaper than putting batteries in each pod...and you would have less maintenance, wouldn't have to deal with recharging/degredation, etc.
Indeed. Since the pods are not meant to disconnect from the loop system I think this is the route they will take. Electric motors will be provided by TSLA though.

Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.