Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would greatly appreciate some help understanding the Bigger Picture on this one. Wouldn't this create a 'war of attrition', where if they short it too long to hold it down below $360 then they will be on the losing side of that bet in a trend with buying pressure taking the share price towards the ATH? Thus, at some point it might be less profitable than originally intended, but more profitable than continued shorting to let the price run...........?

It's a short position like any other. You can add some more money to your bet by trying to keep the stock down but in the end when the real movement happens, you'll be squeezed and forced to cover.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: gene and Paracelsus
Yes, sorry, crazy Belgians use commas for decimal places and periods as 000's separator - threw me for years before I got used to it...
I thought all Europe did that. But whichever way it's done, it becomes obvious with a long string of digits. Either multiple commas with a single period (U.S.) or a single comma with multiple periods (European), or typos causing confusion.

Reactions: Lessmog
Spot-on, Prof, you need to be a certain type of character to do what Elon's doing and I'm not one of those. Not smart enough, not creative enough, not resilient enough, not as driven, not as focused, and so on. I can present better than him though, so it's not all lost...

I'm sure you sell yourself short but I'm not at all worried about your ego or more importantly, your sole, I mean, soul.:rolleyes:

For a time I learned a lot from my first African American experience. Item one when I asked if she felt color was an impediment. As a child she said, a white girl said she was inferior because black. Her answer: "No, I can pick more cotton than you." And later explained, "my Dad fed that family later in the year." On another occasion when someone did something better than she, "there is always someone who can do anything I do better than I, but no one my exact combination of talents."

No one does all the things you do as well as you do. I'm sure Elon knows that too. I think he knows he is too demanding of the women he loves, but he may be the best Dad in the world if for no other reason than he is not repeating his father's mistakes—based on second hand knowledge of biographies.

Who would want that work and worry load? Plus the burden of having to top oneself, daily, and the frustrations of having to match great thoughts to reality. I'd rather get rich the old fashion way, started investing with TSLA in 2010 for an overall stake at $70/share. Last year purchased 50 sh. at $340 and never got dizzy in roller coaster ride thereafter.

Thanks, Elon, for bearing the burden. You are not compensated enough for the sacrifice. But then, I'm extinguished and not into the dating game—another lessor burden. And, withal, as we speak my wife is choosing courses for the fall as she begins her gerontology major!
Sad I’m not as smart and wealthy as Elon, happy that I’m not as dumb and soon to be poor as the shorts.

I'm curious, how much were the 470's?
My brokerage doesn't list those. Is there somewhere special you get them?

Ameritrade shows:

oct18-c-460 bid 9.15 ask 9.45 (got a single one for 8.59 :) )
oct18-c-470 bid 7.85 ask 8.15

Beware of momentum trading with the phone app, they had an issue a few days back with a fibre cable cut causing outages that were not immediately obvious. I ended up selling one of my jun22-c-302.50 early instead of holding it to next week because of the data being displayed being wrong, and after calling them twice all they did for me was give me $60 worth of free trades while I am looking at having taken a $1300 opportunity cost by having done a trade based on wrong info that I would not have if I had had the real data.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thumper and oneday
It's a short position like any other. You can add some more money to your bet by trying to keep the stock down but in the end when the real movement happens, you'll be squeezed and forced to cover.

How long would you guess we get stuck at this price? I guess depends on the amount of money involved in the hedge.. Hours or days?

In contrast to some other short positions, these are probably not motivated by hating Tesla. So if they think they can make more money riding the current rise, they might cover? Or is there anything else keeping them from doing that? I think I feel much the same as @Lycanthrope , quite confused by this...

I would greatly appreciate some help understanding the Bigger Picture on this one. Wouldn't this create a 'war of attrition', where if they short it too long to hold it down below $360 then they will be on the losing side of that bet in a trend with buying pressure taking the share price towards the ATH? Thus, at some point it might be less profitable than originally intended, but more profitable than continued shorting to let the price run...........?

I also find it curious that the China news feels like it is being withheld until TSLA approaches the ATH. That would certainly propel it to new heights.............
Why keep it down, they instantly convert for a profit. What is the premium they get?
How bad is the short theme if convertibles concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.