Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the feeling. I'm still waiting for some incoming cash :Þ

Time remaining is drawing short. I'm not optimistic about seeing 300 again.

Don’t count out the macros yet. Major technical damage to indices across the board. Need to retest and base repeatedly before can start climbing again. Of course TSLA is frequently it’s own animal...

weirdly, i've seen more hostility towards Tesla/Elon from progressives lately than from conservatives (even weaved into sitcoms -- The Good Place recently took a nasty swipe at him). i find it baffling. policy-wise, though, you're right -- Republican politicians are obviously far more likely than Democrats to hurt Tesla with legislation and policy choices. (and I don't think that's a controversial or biased statement.)
Yeah unfortunately with some of the more progressive folks you also get a dose of "corporations are all bad".

Back then Tesla was still a 'story stock' built on faith in essence.

In early January all we have to do is to plug the Q4 delivery numbers into the Q3 financial report, to get a conservative guess about how Q4 financials are going to look like. It's a question to what extent the broader market will be able to perform simple arithmetic operations - but usually they do manage. ;)

But yes, the real deal will probably be the Q4 update letter as @KarenRei and @neroden predicted it months ago.
As a community, we are collectively putting a lot of store in the Q4 ER. I prefer to put much more emphasis on Q1 ER. By doing this we appear to be more forward thinking (balanced and not desperate). In addition, the Q1 ER credentials are bulletproof whereas Q4 merely builds upon the Q3 results. If this is our expectation then the Q4 ER scenarios will be:
1) TSLA SP remains under 400 - just wait until Q1 as we always said
2) TSLA SP climbs to 500 - just wait to Q1 if you think that was something
Of course, this is all meaningless discussion if you don't believe we have a small but meaningful impact on SP...
Q4 ER is merely 6 weeks away so as they say in Manchester - "it is squeaky bum time"...

As a community, we are collectively putting a lot of store in the Q4 ER. I prefer to put much more emphasis on Q1 ER. By doing this we appear to be more forward thinking (balanced and not desperate). In addition, the Q1 ER credentials are bulletproof whereas Q4 merely builds upon the Q3 results. If this is our expectation then the Q4 ER scenarios will be:
Of course, this is all meaningless discussion if you don't believe we have a small but meaningful impact on SP...
Q4 ER is merely 6 weeks away so as they say in Manchester - "it is squeaky bum time"...

I think Q4 is so important because it puts the lie to the (ever-predictable) "Q3 was a one-time rigged profit" line of argument.

That's not that other quarters won't be important; of course they will. But Q3 and Q4 are exceptionally important quarters. After Q4 I'm going to start broadening my option timeframes, but for now, Q4 is my focus.

OT :
True - hostility towards Tesla/Elon from progressives comes from five main sources I believe:
  • UAW influence, underlined via the 'Reveal' reports which are usually reliable (but weren't this time), and their influence on union liberals and organized labor in general,
  • the NYT editorials directed at wealthy liberals,
  • NY hedge fund liberals, a lot of whom are probably still short $TSLA,
  • Elon is a billionaire and over 80% of billionaires are conservatives - so per rule of thumb liberals don't trust billionaires. Elon also has weird politics which are hard to categorize into liberal/conservative stereotypes. Elon is also really good at p*ssing off every political party by being overly honest,
  • and the anti-Elon and anti-Tesla FUD is pretty effective on those who are not really going into the details - the complicity of vast segments of the media (conservative and liberal alike) also doesn't help. Most news about Elon and Tesla is still reaching ordinary people through a very distorted lens.
But we should also remember that unlike conservatives, U.S. liberals and progressives don't have a unified world view and have no unified messaging platforms either (CNN and MSNBC are liberal conservatives in reality) - they are not an 'ideology', they are a complex amalgamation of aligned interest groups that rarely fully agree with each other.

So half of liberals cheering on Elon and half of them disagreeing with him is actually the regular status quo one should expect. :D
You are confusing between liberals & progressives. Progressives fell out with Musk a long time back (starting IIRC with him saying bad things about public transport, but could have been earlier).

Liberals turned against Musk when he decided to join Trump's CEO / industry group. Liberals don't care about UAW, BTW. The term you are looking for is Neoliberal, when you say "liberal conservatives").

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Yeah unfortunately with some of the more progressive folks you also get a dose of "corporations are all bad".

You also have some UAW influence convincing people that Tesla/Elon are anti-labor. And, via Elon’s hitting back at outlets that took that path, people convinced Elon is anti-journalist in a similar way to Trump.

2017 US sales numbers were 17.25 million. Tesla only sold 50,125 cars in the US in 2017. The "other BEV" sales totaled almost the same amount (~50k), with PHEV sales making up the difference (~100k) of InsideEv's numbers and are excluded, yielding the result of fully electric vehicle sales making up only 0.57% of 2017 US auto sales.

OT :In 2017 over 17 million cars were sold. Even in the worst years around 2018, more than 8 million cars were sold.

I counted roughly 85k BEVs sold in 2017 on insideevs. Remember Tesla sold just a thousand 3s in 2017.

nope. there were only about 6 or 7 million cars sold in the U.S.

do not say "cars" when you mean "vehicles".

Reactions: hacer
OT-
1) I like your forward thinking attitude.
2) I'd just as soon what happens in Manchester STAYED in Manchester.

True - hostility towards Tesla/Elon from progressives comes from five main sources I believe:
  • UAW influence, underlined via the 'Reveal' reports which are usually reliable (but weren't this time), and their influence on union liberals and organized labor in general,
  • the NYT editorials directed at wealthy liberals,
  • NY hedge fund liberals, a lot of whom are probably still short $TSLA,
  • Elon is a billionaire and over 80% of billionaires are conservatives - so per rule of thumb liberals don't trust billionaires. Elon also has weird politics which are hard to categorize into liberal/conservative stereotypes. Elon is also really good at p*ssing off every political party by being overly honest,
  • and the anti-Elon and anti-Tesla FUD is pretty effective on those who are not really going into the details - the complicity of vast segments of the media (conservative and liberal alike) also doesn't help. Most news about Elon and Tesla is still reaching ordinary people through a very distorted lens.
But we should also remember that unlike conservatives, U.S. liberals and progressives don't have a unified world view and have no unified messaging platforms either (CNN and MSNBC are liberal conservatives in reality) - they are not an 'ideology', they are a complex amalgamation of aligned interest groups that rarely fully agree with each other.

So half of liberals cheering on Elon and half of them disagreeing with him is actually the regular status quo one should expect. :D

OT:
Along these lines, my parents recently brought up the 60 minutes interview and were absolutely shocked that they edited it in a such a slanted way. Didn’t believe me until I actually read them part of the original transcript. Both pretty hardcore liberal.

Just today, I read a Fortune article that mentioned the interview, citing the selectively edited quote with a parenthetical saying Elon “accused” that it was selectively edited(instead of, say, just quoting the openly available transcript).

Looks like the Taycan pricing - priced it out of the M3 competition. Porsche Taycan, 4S, and Turbo pricing becomes clearer

I can't wait to see some turbo-charged electrons !
Where is the face-palm emoji ???

oh, well this will have to do instead:
hwTVuW.jpg

Hmm, this may be a clue:

Porsche had also hinted at the "Turbo" nomenclature earlier, and has also referred to its planned high-speed chargers as the "Turbo Charging Network." Now, we have apparent confirmation, and a better idea of pricing. The Taycan will start in the low $90,000 range, with the Taycan 4S in the high $90,000s. The range-topping Taycan Turbo will start "over $130,000 before options.

This makes it sound like perhaps only the "Taycan Turbo" will have 350kW charging. This may be an unusually large pack variant, or a variant which they'll give a later release date in order to allow for improvements in cell technology over today's state of the art in order to be able to withstand a high C-rate without unusual degradation.

Holy hell, they almost priced it out of MS competition.

I am always cautious about the market they are speaking to. In this case they may have been using this pricing model to assuage their dealer base. I think one of the huge obstacles facing the traditional automotive groups is their dealer relationships. They cannot exist without their dealer network yet they do not own the dealers (at least in the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.