Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loved this paragraph - well said Ross Gerber:

“These people are much more concerned about profits than what’s best for our children,” Ross Gerber, a Los Angeles investor who backs Tesla, said of short sellers. “Morally speaking, you can short Snapchat all you want. Go short Facebook. Tesla’s whole purpose is to create an electric infrastructure so we can address the issue of climate change.”

Loved this paragraph - well said Ross Gerber:

“These people are much more concerned about profits than what’s best for our children,” Ross Gerber, a Los Angeles investor who backs Tesla, said of short sellers. “Morally speaking, you can short Snapchat all you want. Go short Facebook. Tesla’s whole purpose is to create an electric infrastructure so we can address the issue of climate change.”

But But we all know it's just a chinese plot. Or was it a scheme to steal all our money by those demorats.
Hillary something something.

Tesla gets third place in the Freight Tech 25.
Criticize the business model, call it over-valued, speculate about the machinations of its founder, you must admit that Tesla has set much of the conversation around autonomous and electrification, and incumbents and OEMs across the globe are chasing them. As a case in point, only days after their Q3 earnings report, in which Musk did not discuss the Tesla’s Semi progress, James O’Leary, VP of NFI Industries fleet services said at a symposium, "Nobody in North America was talking about electric vehicles until your local news outlets picked up the rollout of the Tesla Semi. That led basically to what we call the Tesla effect. Now shippers are asking their carriers where you are with electric vehicles." NFI is a major 3PL, and according to O’Leary, Tesla does in fact have plans to begin delivering the all-electric Semis by 2020.
Freight.Tech25: In spite of rocky year, Tesla shocks the world and places third

Notre Dame creates new architecture design studio with Tesla

Tesla educating the next generation

The University of Notre Dame School of Architecture is collaborating with Tesla Inc. to create a design studio course focused on Tesla’s Gigafactory 1 based in Reno, Nevada. Students will explore how to move people and materials through the Gigafactory — the highest-volume battery production facility in the world—while working closely with local government to prepare the Reno area for rapid growth, increase in employment and impact on the region.

But But we all know it's just a chinese plot. Or was it a scheme to steal all our money by those demorats.
Hillary something something.

I kept waiting for Hillary Clinton to pounce on climate change. She seemed fearful of the topic. On one level I blame H. Clinton for being a coward, but ultimately you have to blame the oil industry for their relentlessly successful attacks on climate science and a public with limited science comprehension. Had Clinton been less of a coward, at least she might have lost with dignity.

Public opinion has swung in Australia. It's now political suicide to play the denialist or even be pro-coal. A recent by-election in the seat of Wentworth proved it. Keep educating. The US will swing too. It's the Tesla effect.

I kept waiting for Hillary Clinton to pounce on climate change. She seemed fearful of the topic. On one level I blame H. Clinton for being a coward, but ultimately you have to blame the oil industry for their relentlessly successful attacks on climate science and a public with limited science comprehension. Had Clinton been less of a coward, at least she might have lost with dignity.

Public opinion has swung in Australia. It's now political suicide to play the denialist or even be pro-coal. A recent by-election in the seat of Wentworth proved it. Keep educating. The US will swing too. It's the Tesla effect.

It wasn't cowardice. It was greed.

Clinton Raises More Than Trump From Oil Industry Hillary Clinton Raises More Than Donald Trump From Oil Industry

(Not an) Advice requested:

I sold half my trading shares a week or two ago at $355, and am now considering selling the other half of trading shares. I have some potential personal liquidity issues that are driving part of that, but I'm VERY conservative on personal liquidity, so it is not by any means urgent but I just like to play it safe. The primary driver is that I think over the very short term between now and Q4 earnings report that the stock might get pulled down by Macro. I'm pretty bearish on a macro level, but not sure how long the weakness persists or whether or not it pulls down TSLA with it.

I call them "trading shares" in that they are not in my retirement account which I don't trade at all. And they were always intended to be shorter term. But until my sale last week (or whenever) I had never sold any TSLA over the 4.5 years I've been buying TSLA. So if sell more I would be literally unloading all my shares that are not in retirement accounts (which are 100% TSLA for reference).

Thoughts?

Why wouldn’t you have your highest growth stock in your after tax account rather than your retirement account?

The Macros has been bearish for months now, and the market has reacted negatively since October. Even at the peak of FUD when Tesla wasn’t profitable, institutions were accumulating TSLA shares. It has held strong and about the only stock on the Nasdaq with a massive growth story ahead of it. TSLA also has uniquely positioned itself to expand a very exciting product pipeline, everytime it has dropped to $330s there seems to be massive accumulation to push the stock up to $340s.

Make your call.
While all of the above rings true, I'm thinking if there's a recession/panic, then very likely there'll be a sell first, ask questions later logic ruling at least for a day.
I think 2008/9 was 30%-50% off of everything and I had no money other than 401k. Citibank at $1/share was such a sweet deal, now is $63.

Anybody remembers if there was any resilient stock that did not fall due to strong fundamentals? If no, there's a chance there could be a 30% off TSLA deal in the next recession.

The swing is inevitable because of the young vs old divide on the subject. Global Warming Age Gap: Younger Americans Most Worried Older people bear more of the responsibility for climate change, but have little time left to fix it. Much easier just to pretend it isn't real.

I had an old (70s) man walk up to me recently in a parking lot to ask about my S. He told me he didn't like Elon and that he heard Tesla's crash a lot. I told him he should test drive one. He said he is happy with his new Lincoln. Why would he care about Earth's temperature in 2040 when he's dead? "Fossil" fuel indeed.

Reactions: lklundin
I have this tinfoil hat theory that Elon Musk and Tesla has deep ties with the government. EV and autonomous driving will be the highest growth industry of the next 10-20 years, and our government will not let a Chinese company dominate this new industry... we will get extended tax credits
Maybe if we changed the wording of the above:
"I have this tinfoil hat theory that Elon Musk and Tesla has deep ties with the Chinese government. EV and autonomous driving will be the highest growth industry of the next 10-20 years, and will not let any traditional ICE company dominate this new industry... we (in China) will get extended tax credits."

The middle class and upper middle class of China is much larger than the US middle class. And India's market will be similar in about 10 to 15 years as well.

While all of the above rings true, I'm thinking if there's a recession/panic, then very likely there'll be a sell first, ask questions later logic ruling at least for a day.
I think 2008/9 was 30%-50% off of everything and I had no money other than 401k. Citibank at $1/share was such a sweet deal, now is $63.

Anybody remembers if there was any resilient stock that did not fall due to strong fundamentals? If no, there's a chance there could be a 30% off TSLA deal in the next recession.

Citi did a 1-for-10 reverse split on May 9, 2011. So it's not a 63 fold gain. More like 6 fold since the lowest point.

I think the likely scenario is that we will get a trade deal with China which should be very positive for US companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.