Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
80% is a good idea, IF the next Supercharger is 100 miles away (or closer)!

[There are regions were 80% won't be enough. Think of the old 70 or 60 kwh Model S trying to reach the next SUC on mountainous roads, covered with snow (You need heating and can't reduce the consumption, because of the outside conditions). I had this back in 2016. With only 80% my family would have stranded in a snow storm. Not funny.]

I've seen consumption as high as 555Wh/mi with an average speed of 40mph in snow. That gives me 145 mile range from 100% to 0%, assuming I don't stop requiring additional cabin and pack heating. Of course parking with less than 25% in the winter is a super bad idea for that those reasons and more, so more like 108 miles total usable range.

Yeah, I'm taking 100% charge, thanks.

edit - and to avoid incoming criticism - 64 mile segment, 115 rated miles used.

Last edited:
Fred owed everything to Tesla and Tesla fans - clicks to his website, information leaked to him by insiders, his free roadster, etc., etc. He should have shown more appreciation. His vindictive attitude towards Tesla for giving him the cold shoulder because of the leaked mode S+X interior was something that really turned me off.

That said, his website has done more good in general in the past so it is not too late for him to repent. Fred, here is a piece of fact for you

Eric on Twitter

Go write a in-depth article and spread the words to makeup your past mistakes!

Fred's not a reporter, he's a blogger. Posts on Electrek obviously are not attempts at objectivity. Their purpose is to collect clicks from the congregation. Fred is literally paid by click.
Quite a few "real journalists" get paid per click these days too.

So while I won't credit Fred as some kind of world class journalist, to call him a blogger and thus assume by default his work is of trivial value compared to a "real journalist" is unfair. He's done better work than a lot of those "real journalists", but because he doesn't work for WSJ or NYT or similar he's a person of no value? That's some kind of -ism, just not sure what the exact word to use is.

So while I won't credit Fred as some kind of world class journalist, to call him a blogger and thus assume by default his work is of trivial value compared to a "real journalist" is unfair. He's done better work than a lot of those "real journalists", but because he doesn't work for WSJ or NYT or similar he's a person of no value? That's some kind of -ism, just not sure what the exact word to use is.

credentialism?

People are susceptible to all kinds of weak indicators of status like college degrees (mba and phD). Get an undergraduate degree and suddenly you are a 'scientist' or an 'engineer' and know more than a hobbyist. On first approximation that's fine, but it shouldn't take much actual evidence to override that. Just being the one to be at the top rather than the comment section (like Seeking Alpha) can do wonders for initial reactions to your idea (as can having the mod tag).

(There's a guy working through the last 6 days of comments and I don't think he likes me that much. lol)

Like who ?

Even web only publications like Vox or fivethirtyeight do not pay their journalists by clicks. What actually happens is editorial decisions are made based on likely clicks - and ofcourse that influences the kind of articles that are written or the headlines the editors write.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about Benedict Evans’ argument that an EV company isn’t any more intrinsically disruptive or valuable than an ICE vehicle company. Without autonomy, what makes Tesla deserve a tech company P/E ratio or P/S ratio (or other valuation multiple)?

ICE companies are fairly steady (or decreasing) in terms of sales and aren't branching out into other revenue streams.

EV in general: ability to grow, as more locations ban diesel, fuel prices increase, and climate change comes to the forethought in people's minds, EV sales will increase.

Tesla: by getting volume production out there first, Tesla has the best growth path, along with mild lock in (HPWC is not cross compatible), endorphin induced repeat buyers.

Revenue stream: Tesla is also Energy, supercharging is a (low margin) revenue stream that scales with sales. Mega chargers will do the same. Utility scale power installation with batteries and solar are long term profit centers.
tie ins: SpaceX could use renewable energy for the Methane needed for BFR (also provide carbon sequestration). Boring will need electricity and pods along with motors and packs.

Down the road, Tesla may decide to be a supplier to other companies, thus tapping their volumes also.

So yeah, software analogy does not really line up untill they start selling apps and media services (post FSD). In the meantime, they have a lot of potential expansion which could support a high ratio (for the current time).

Good, or bad, or both...?

Looks like Fred's pissed Elon off big-time...

View attachment 347512

I doubt Fred will receive any more insider information.

I should start a blog so I can get verified and gather followers so I can spam CEOs when my personal experience is not what I want and leverage that popularity to get what I want.

Not even to mention vehicles that don't get tuneups, or don't get oil changes until their rings get worn.
I will say this, Obama got a lot of flack from people when he said that they needed to get a tune-up (air filter, oil change, spark plugs, etc.) and check the air in their tires. These things can easily make a 5,10, even 15% change in mileage.

I doubt Fred will receive any more insider information.

I should start a blog so I can get verified and gather followers so I can spam CEOs when my personal experience is not what I want and leverage that popularity to get what I want.
That's basically all that social media is good for, getting resolution by mob mentality and threats of bad PR.

That's my strategy so what's yours?
FDA88C07-573D-46C1-993F-217DC78FAB5C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.