Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to sleep the night before that. I'm gonna go out on a leg and predict a repeat of Netflix. Awesome news, a spike, and then retracement back to GM, much tears and gnashing of teeth. God I'm in a bad mood already.
I'm afraid you may be right. It's that kind of a market right now, and TSLA has been trading similar to NFLX in some ways.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Another indicator to consider is that when the vast majority here are feeling really good about an ER, the market often reacts differently. Sentiment here is very positive about this ER. We might not get what we expect even with a good ER. I am glad though that Tesla has given no indication about profits or cash flow since their comments at the Q2 ER. I like that silence.

I am not going to sleep the night before that. I'm gonna go out on a leg and predict a repeat of Netflix. Awesome news, a spike, and then retracement back to GM, much tears and gnashing of teeth. God I'm in a bad mood already.
Anyone knows what happened in the previous earnings reports ? Looks like whatever happens is temporary.

Q2 '18 - 8/1/18 : Went from $300 to $350 and then started going down a bit for 2 days. But was interrupted by taking private tweet.

Q1 '18 - 5/2/18 : Down $20 from $300 to $280. Back to $300 in just 2 days.

Q4 '17 - 2/7/18 : Down $35 from $345 to $310. Back to $340 in 10 days.

Q3 '17 - 11/1/18 : Down $30 from $331 to $300. Back near $325 after 17 days - but took 40 days to be clearly back above $330.

Last edited:
Another indicator to consider is that when the vast majority here are feeling really good about an ER, the market often reacts differently. Sentiment here is very positive about this ER. We might not get what we expect even with a good ER. I am glad though that Tesla has given no indication about profits or cash flow since their comments at the Q2 ER. I like that silence.

My own personal hunch is that waiting so long to announce, then releasing it early is a sign that they a). beat and b). want to catch Wall Street banksters off guard. Could always be wrong.

Interesting take, care to expound? I do like your takes on the short term trades of TSLA.
I won't be able to provide my full thesis till tomorrow. But, the gist is - from prior indications and this latest trickery, I'm more inclined to think they are going to try and kitchen sink it, rather than provide a knock it out of the park ER.

More detail tomorrow.

I wonder if they were originally going for a later date, but then saw Ford's new commercial and decided to do the call same day as Ford.

I'm inclined to agree with Tivo about a dip again between Q3 results and Q4. However, whenever I try to predict short term movement, I'm usually wrong. So maybe that means it won't happen. :)

As for the call... I have ONE meeting on my current schedule that cannot be rescheduled. Guess what day and time? I'll look for the recording after the fact.

I won't be able to provide my full thesis till tomorrow. But, the gist is - from prior indications and this latest trickery, I'm more inclined to think they are going to try and kitchen sink it, rather than provide a knock it out of the park ER.

More detail tomorrow.

Trickery?

Why were you predicting a November earnings release?

The stock is trading near its 52 week low. Tesla’s narrative is being run by shorts/media. I’d say things are looking rather bullish to me. Trade em well.

If we get a pop after hours Wednesday at all it’s another sell. We’ll have a lower entry point between now and Q4 earnings.
Given what happened to Netflix - and my post above about SP coming back to original position rather quickly - the first point makes sense (if you are not really long).

Given the bearish market, the second point is quite likely as well.

One would think this quarter is atypical. Literally 75% increase in revenue in 3 months. It boggles the mind and really has the capacity to change A LOT of perceptions\assumptions (good or bad). Someone write a program to scan for the Q4 gross margin so I can algo trade on it. Greater than 20% buy, under 20% sell like crazy. Make sure it doesn't accidentally read the Q3 number. This isn't autopilot. These things are a matter of life and death and there is going to be NO hands on the wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: M|S|W and neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.