Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting article on the dynamics between Bd and EM. It suggests that he really really didn't want to settle and made the issue an ultimatum. When put as an ultimatum, the Bd has to do what is best for the co in the long run. If anytime the CEO isn't getting what he wants, and he threatens to resign if he doesn't get what he wants, and the board is committed to the position that the CEO leaving would harm the company worse than just about anything they could be asked to do, then the board is pretty much a non-entity -- they have to cave to just about anything the CEO wants.

But when the CEO is executing and has proven his value to the company and has the leverage to make those demands, that is probably as it should be. An interesting governance dynamic.
Interesting observations. It may also give pause to people contemplating the Chairman position or an independent director posting. The next Chairman is going to need to be someone with some huge cojones to stand up to Musk and draw some lines. Otherwise, this exercise will be a total failure for everyone involved including stakeholders.

Elon Musk’s Ultimatum to Tesla: Fight the S.E.C., or I Quit

This has been up a couple of hours now, and I see no comments here. Any thoughts on potential impact to market action? Small but unfavorable would be my guess.

If the SEC is so confidence in their case why the hell they first choose to file it in NY instead of CA and second settled so fast on a really short notice?

Yeah I expect this will be used to drive down stock price. Petty I have no money left

Agreed, but with what Panasonic has done at GF1, I think paint is the current production restriction.

The most recent news says otherwise; Panasonic is trying to accelerate their line production because Tesla has been scaling so fast. The intent was to provide enough cells that Tesla can get back to producing Powerwalls and Powerpacks at normal volumes without scrounging cells from other suppliers, but at present, that's not happening, and it's not even clear that Panasonic's 3 new lines will enable that.

Reactions: lklundin
An interesting article on the dynamics between Bd and EM. It suggests that he really really didn't want to settle and made the issue an ultimatum. When put as an ultimatum, the Bd has to do what is best for the co in the long run. If anytime the CEO isn't getting what he wants, and he threatens to resign if he doesn't get what he wants, and the board is committed to the position that the CEO leaving would harm the company worse than just about anything they could be asked to do, then the board is pretty much a non-entity -- they have to cave to just about anything the CEO wants.

But when the CEO is executing and has proven his value to the company and has the leverage to make those demands, that is probably as it should be. An interesting governance dynamic.
That is if you believe what they say. As their argument, it is so apparent to everyone except Elon that SEC has a compelling case, that Elon is a bonehead.

If that is the case, then why would the SEC lawyers agree to work out a deal on a Saturday within several hours notice?!

It is not easy to get bureaucrats to work over weekends.

Uber drivers are struggling now using cars that are in most cases fully paid off. You want people with $700-900 car payments to become minimum wage drivers, blowing through their warranties in record time? Never going to happen...
Well, this applies to any car premium car. But, operating cost will be low for EVs. More riders are likely to pick a Tesla over other cars - so likely more rides.

Given the base of cars, this is not very practical, though.

Another one of your ‘you have no idea’ assumptions used to bolster your narrative. As in you have no idea how many Uber drivers are driving entirely paid for cars. NONE.
There is this wonderful thing called Google, and actually talking to Uber drivers as I do since I travel frequently and use them almost exclusively. Try it. You will be amazed at what you will learn. ;)

Elon Musk’s Ultimatum to Tesla: Fight the S.E.C., or I Quit

This has been up a couple of hours now, and I see no comments here. Any thoughts on potential impact to market action? Small but unfavorable would be my guess.

Um...

"People involved in the board’s deliberations this week told me that some directors have proposed their fellow director, James Murdoch — the chief executive of 21st Century Fox, most of which is being sold to the Walt Disney Company — as chairman."

Oh HELL NO.

Shouldn't even be on the board in the first place.

Last edited:
Interesting observations. It may also give pause to people contemplating the Chairman position or an independent director posting. The next Chairman is going to need to be someone with some huge cojones to stand up to Musk and draw some lines. Otherwise, this exercise will be a total failure for everyone involved including stakeholders.
Cojones will not be enough, no matter how large. Any new chairman would also need board member votes supporting any opposition to Musk. All experience indicates that those votes will not be available. So yes, the whole thing does seem pointless.

Well, this applies to any car premium car. But, operating cost will be low for EVs. More riders are likely to pick a Tesla over other cars - so likely more rides.

Given the base of cars, this is not very practical, though.
Uber is in the process of modifying their app to allow riders to see available cars, in certain cities, and make a selection based on that option. However, I have seen no mention that it will include a specific make or model. On my last trip it was still not available. I have yet to ever get picked up in a Tesla even in Los Angeles.

Last edited:
I know what you are thinking - Fox News and all.

Apparently James is quite different (which is to say, a usual psychopath, not an extraordinary one like his father).

Fox and the rest of the Murdoch media empire is just the start of it. How's this for starters?

-------------
"Meanwhile his son James, who remains deputy chief operating officer of News Corp and a non-executive director of BSkyB, was found guilty of an “astonishing” lack of curiosity and even “wilful ignorance” about the extent of phone hacking.

"This culture, we consider, permeated from the top throughout the organisation and speaks volumes about the lack of effective corporate governance at News Corporation and News International,” the report said."
-------------
In September 2012 Murdoch was criticised by the British Office of Communications (Ofcom), which concluded that he "repeatedly fell short of the conduct to be expected of as a chief executive and chairman"
-------------

The guy is toxic. If the SEC ultimately has the effect of making us replace Elon with this guy... I can't begin to describe how furious I would be with them. I'm sorry, but I've already watched one EV company that I loved effectively killed off by its own board, and I don't want to stand by and watch it happen to a second one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thora and lklundin

LOL. No. They need a chairman that will stand up to all the opposing forces and back Elon.

LOL. No. They need a chairman that will stand up to all the opposing forces and back Elon.

Other than the independence and 45 day replacement requirements, has there been any specific conditions set by the SEC on the candidate profile or selection process? I.e. Would a slate of candidates have to be screened by the SEC or any other similar (and over reaching) restriction?

Although the stock did not reflect it, today has been a great day. Amazing delivery numbers, and almost assuredly profits from Tesla now to beyond.

I'd like to share two documents. For context, two years ago we were in a similar precarious situation with Tesla. Those who were here back then remember well. People were wondering if Tesla would make it through difficult production of the Model X in Q3. We were under pressure with the Solarcity acquisition. Then, numbers came out amazing. These numbers look small tiny today, but they were gangbusters back then. That's what exponential growth does for you.

Tesla Q3 2016 Production and Deliveries | Tesla, Inc.

Two months after, the stock still hadn't moved that much. My dad asked me what the hell was going on with Tesla, given such an amazing quarter. Then, once it hit December, went on a TEAR. Today, we face a similar situation. Replace the Model X with Model 3. Replace SCTY with the SEC. Elon always cautions on analogies, but that's why now, we all shouldn't be scared of the daily stock price. When it goes up, it's a fun feeling dreaming about the good things we can do with the money should we so choose. When it goes down, it's a buying opportunity for a company that's got fundamentals on track and executing on all cylinders. When the fundamentals are on our side, we've got nothing to fear and more to gain on dips. PS.... one prediction. Stock will hit $800 by the middle of next year.

upload_2018-10-2_19-52-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-2_19-52-22.png
    upload_2018-10-2_19-52-22.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 48
I just ran some numbers using luv's projections for Q3/4, which look very solid (Q4 is conservative IMO).

I have been thinking Tesla was growing at double the rate of Amazon and Netflix (which have grown at roughly 25%/year). That is incredibly impressive. It puts Tesla in a class by itself.

But that was before Model 3.

Look at these numbers:

Annualized growth rate ($21.6B revenue -- luvb2b Q3/4 projections plus actual Q1/2):

2017-2018: 83% ($11.8B -->$21.6B)
2016-2018: 75% ($7B-->$21.6B)
2015-2018: 75% ($4B-->$21.6B)

Tesla is growing at TRIPLE the rate of Amazon and Netflix -- two fantastic companies that are often held up as a "poster child" of technology growth companies.

$4B to $21B in only three years.

Why aren't we hearing more about this?

FUD is blinding people to a truly mind-boggling growth story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.