Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds as if they are trying to remove Musk:

Not really - it's a scare tactic to get Tesla's attention. They'll settle for way less and when push comes to shove, regulators don't want to be spending years in legal action; like prosecutors they prefer settled cases.

The share price drop is also a bit of a joke, given there is literally no material change now, or remotely likely in the mid-term future. Someone is going to make a killing between now and Tuesday morning, IMO (I'm not advising, clearly...)

I typically only go long on stocks. On all stocks I am long, I read the bear cases and message boards for each of them. In tesla's case, I believe in the short case and engage in some discussion with people with different opinions. I have been civil with my points of view and only look to engage in discussion.

So you decided it was ‘civil’ to rub some salt in the wounds? Maybe you should read again what you wrote about the stock going to 0.

Mod: Point taken and will be banned in future under my new gloat goat rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the response from Elon:

Elon Musk calls SEC fraud lawsuit 'unjustified,' says he acted in best interests of investors

"This unjustified action by the SEC leaves me deeply saddened and disappointed," Musk said in a statement to CNBC. "I have always taken action in the best interests of truth, transparency and investors. Integrity is the most important value in my life and the facts will show I never compromised this in any way."

Elon, in case you come to this forum and see this, I have followed you for many years. I know you are a man with integrity. Keep doing what you think is right. My support for you and Tesla will not waver regardless of the outcome. I know many people are with me on this. Take good care of yourself. Adequate sleep is important for health! Thanks for everything you and the Tesla team have done. I am looking forward to many years of success from Tesla.

This case can drag on for years and most likely be appealed by either side. It really has no effect on the direction of Tesla. It will however effect TSLA every time CNBC decides to rerun the same story title.

I don't think it is possible for longs to sue the SEC so there is really no point in going on about it. I don't quite understand how the SEC feels a 6% gain is a loss to shareholders but a 10% loss is not. I am glad the SEC has shareholders backs. /s

Also note how the SEC, as the plaintiff, requested jury trial:

"Jury Trial Demanded"​

This is a pattern of weak 'more bluster than substance' cases, where the uncertainty of the jury trial is used to pressure the defendant into settling. If they were certain of their case they'd request a judge trial, which would be faster and cheaper as well than a bench trial.

But being faster is not the purpose here I believe, on the contrary...

So, who are Elon's peers to fill the jury?
Also, who is unbiased? I call for a change of venue... to Mars! @HG Wells , when can you add this to the docket?

So, here's the deal, in my not so humble opinion. (I am not a lawyer, this is not an advise.)

If the SEC is acting at least somewhat legitimately, they'll probably accept a settlement with no admission of guilt or disbarment of Musk, and Musk's best bet is likely to pay up, make this go away, and chalk it up as a very expensive lesson in appropriate Twitter usage.

If they're trying to kill Tesla because their masters saw a way to do so, they're going to drag this out... and I'd guess it's in Musk's best interest to do one of the following: go private for real this time, go to China and bail on the US, or let the SEC drag this out at least through January 20, 2021 (and hopefully the Democrats will win the Presidency, and this can be stopped).

Reactions: UrsS and SpaceCash
So you decided it was ‘civil’ to rub some salt in the wounds? Maybe you should read again what you wrote about the stock going to 0.

I was responding to someone else talking about the share price. 0 would be beneficial for anyone who is short, but that realistically isn't going to happen outside of a bankruptcy filing and a major restructuring.

I am curious, does this SEC suit change your opinion of the company? Are you going to buy more shares? I personally think the share price will rebound afterwards. Q3 could help the share price.

PayPal is another great example...

I believe Elon has brought Tesla to the point where it will succeed with or without him.

PayPal is NOT a great example of the company succeeding without him. In fact it is the opposite. PayPal could have owned the cashless eWallet market, but instead did nothing while eBay owned them. It was a waste of a 15(!) year head start.

I don't think it is possible for longs to sue the SEC so there is really no point in going on about it.

Actually, if what I suspected from today's price action is true ($TSLA went down with strong short sales pressure, despite the NASDAQ breaking to new highs all day and Tesla having had positive news this week), that someone at the SEC leaked the impending lawsuit to short traders and they traded on it, then that's multiple felonies, potential jail time and disbarment.

And yes, the SEC, as a government agency, can of course be sued in civil court as well, for example if evidence of foul play and fraud emerges.

Longs, take your reasoning and anger to other message boards (yahoo, twitter) and fight on public forums. Get the SEC’s attention that their crap is BS. Posting here does little for Tesla in a moment like this.

Mod: Point taken. Will ban in future under gloat goat rule when either side gloats about a disaster in either direction. As a long I expect a big rise soon. Note it, examine it, but no mocking of shorts or longs today.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
I'm in long anyways..... F this news. Just look at Zip2 Elon started.

When he sold it and was under new management the company flourished.

If Elon hadn’t been CEO the last year, I very much doubt Tesla would be producing as many Model 3s as they are today. No one else that I can think of would have pushed this large company as fast as Elon did. Make no mistake, Elon is critical is to the future success of Tesla. Oh sure, Tesla can survive without Elon, but not thrive, and certainly not support a $300 per share price.

Status
Not open for further replies.