Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine also the value of the erstwhile drivers' time that is freed up. That is quantifiable and some of that value realizable. Ever wonder why Google got interested in autonomous driving...

missed this part. Actually, I haven't wondered because I've read about their (and others) plans to eliminate the drivers from taxi services and the underlying argument about how much money there is in the business. Which, IMO, is a flawed assumption when their business is *predicated* on *driving costs down* while there are *competitors*. If successful the end result will be marginal vehicles with marginal service for amazingly low rates. Maybe good for users of taxi services, but that doesn't read to me like a huge dollar market.

Looking for citations...

1) this only indirectly covers their motivation, not nearly as clearly as I've read it before Waymo sketches out long-range business plan

2) this one is a little clearer. Note that they refer to "retail" buyers, not "consumers". This is again aimed at transportation services Waymo to General Motors: Catch Us if You Can -- The Motley Fool

oh great I have well-known FUD reporter asking me for the e-mail I have a copy of (in this thread). What do I do?

Ask them how much they would pay you for some (fake) dirt on Tesla, get that on record, then pass that onto the REAL factual media, such as Zach ;)

basically shine some light on the FUDsters, they need that!

Tesla is still a somewhat small company that hasn't yet proven itself in mass production. Despite this the market cap is over 50 billion dollars. Bigger than giants like GM and Ford. That's impressive and indicates a massive amount of trust from investors.

GM and F’s market cap is very, very low by any valuations. Kinda like Barnes and Noble’s when compared to Amazon.

People vastly underestimate the negative health effects of daily commuting by car. The cognitive load of driving drains mental energy/will power that could otherwise be used to choose to exercise or to resist the desire for that sugary snack or those drinks; not to mention accidents avoided. There is far greater *real* value to individuals and to society provided by advanced driver assistance and autonomous driving than they will cost to develop and deploy widely. Word will get around as people experience the benefits.

Imagine also the value of the erstwhile drivers' time that is freed up. That is quantifiable and some of that value realizable. Ever wonder why Google got interested in autonomous driving...

There is another market segment that seems to get ignored - folks like me who take business conference calls from their car.
I know, I know, it is totally unsafe, but it is becoming more and more common with the Global environment we are in. Many times these calls are early in the morning to accommodate international timezones, and then the regular CA time meetings are after that, with no time to drive to office in-between. So I simply take one of the meeting calls on Skype on my phone from the car. And I also know very well that I am not the only one who does this, unsafe as it is.
With the Tesla, I can put it on autopilot once I get to the freeways, which is slightly safer than just adaptive cruise control. Can you imagine what a game changer this would be when the car can truly drive itself to work?

There is another market segment that seems to get ignored - folks like me who take business conference calls from their car.
I know, I know, it is totally unsafe, but it is becoming more and more common with the Global environment we are in. Many times these calls are early in the morning to accommodate international timezones, and then the regular CA time meetings are after that, with no time to drive to office in-between. So I simply take one of the meeting calls on Skype on my phone from the car. And I also know very well that I am not the only one who does this, unsafe as it is.
With the Tesla, I can put it on autopilot once I get to the freeways, which is slightly safer than just adaptive cruise control. Can you imagine what a game changer this would be when the car can truly drive itself to work?

Just watch out for fire trucks. ;)

popped back above THREE TEN after hours.

It feels good when Wooloomooloo systematically goes through all your day's posts and hits disagree.

It was amusing for about 9 seconds... it feels good when you consistently hit disagree on anything I say as well - especially something as innocuous as saying there is price resistance at $308 (it's $307 and change now).

Two wrongs don't make a right, although three rights make a left.

Can't we all just get along?

Did anybody already mention that some German car makers stop selling their PHEVs in Europe (link)?
Is that true?

Just had a look at Porsche in the German market.
Yes, they are no longer selling their PHEV Cayenne and Panamera.
This is crazy!

Some of them are only stopping temporarily. The EU raised standards and so those that don't meet the standard are being dropped from incentives.

I don't think it says anything about the long term viability of BEVs and will only mean hybrids have to be even more efficient and less reliant on gasoline/petrol or diesel.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
Did anybody already mention that some German car makers stop selling their PHEVs in Europe (link)?
Is that true?

Just had a look at Porsche in the German market.
Yes, they are no longer selling their PHEV Cayenne and Panamera.
This is crazy!

There were a couple of links earlier about this. What it boils down to is the compliance vehicles are no longer compliant due to more accurate validation so they (all but one) dropped them.

This is another blow to the ICE manufacturer delay in moving to EV -- the electronic drive trains in the hybrids are just not good enough to reduce emissions to the required levels (rely to much on the ICE component).

The short version appears to be: more wailing, gnashing of teeth, complaints about over regulation, and C-level executives departing

Less than 3.5M shares traded in TSLA as of 2:00 pm ET.

Very light day, big boyz weighting on production numbers. ;)
Seems odd to have volume jump yesterday and then go back down today, but I suspect the volume was substantially affected by Tesla dropping down from the $310/311 level rather than up and through it. That tends to scatter long traders elsewhere.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
There were a couple of links earlier about this. What it boils down to is the compliance vehicles are no longer compliant due to more accurate validation so they (all but one) dropped them.
Using WLTP compared to the older NEDEC test cycle got a bit more realistic on energy consumtion and that is all it took these big car companies to no longer meet the efficiency standards and thus losing the incentives?
And why don't they just sell the vehicles without the incentives?
Tesla killers anywhere?

Attachments

• Porsche Cayenne PHEV Sales Halted In Europe.png
    Porsche Cayenne PHEV Sales Halted In Europe.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.