Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to the forum members from an investing newbie who has just bought and held since early 2014.
What % of shares do you estimate you have gain/loss from buying highs/selling lows? I have never done it before and am reading everything I can from this great group trying to prepare for the next run-up. Hoping over the next few years I can add another 100% or more to my (small) position...how realistic is this scenario without jumping into the options game? Appreciate any and all advice!

I agree with @Zhelko Dimic that for most people the best strategy is to hold and never sell to profit from 'peaks'. With a position dating back to 2014 I'd not hesitate: hold and enjoy the show, never sell as long as you have confidence in the long-term business model.

If you can add to your position then buy after large $50+ dips. Current price levels would still qualify I suspect, if you have confidence in the Q3/Q4 results and don't mind a $50 drop if something very negative happens.

This summer alone the long awaited all-time-high and subsequent possible short squeeze was close, twice - only for the price to retreat -$100, twice. Will third time be a charm? Hard to tell ...

Funny way to put it. Yes tesla saved on options by paying loan early BUT gov made better than market rate interest by tesla paying early repayment penalty. I also believe the FUD arguments that tesla was only surviving because of the loan was a factor. Instructive to see that shorts just shifted to another FUD argument. This will happen again once cash flow positive. Elon’s approach to not caring about Wall Street is correct one

Historically speaking, you would have done well to increase leverage, either by adding shares or calls, when the stock has dropped at least 24% from a local peak. The real decision making comes with when to sell that leverage since, generally speaking, you only want to increase leverage at times of very low risk for a big dip and very high likelihood of a solid climb. If you aren't too greedy then you can pretty much deleverage after the stock has climbed a modest amount, say 18% from the bottom. You would miss some much bigger climbs from dips but you would virtually eliminate the problem of riding back down on a new dip with leverage.

TSLA even averages one dip of over 30% annually. There is no better time to ratchet up the leverage considerably. Just don't get too greedy on the climb when you are figuring out when to deleverage. On those 30% dips, you don't need to pay the time premium for LEAPs. ATM or even 10% OTM calls expiring in about 2 months have given ample time for recovery historically.

[ @Scuttlebutt ]

If I may offer a suggestion: before starting to trade (= trying to sell on highs and buy in again on lows), do this virtually (fake money account). My broker software has the option built in, it's called a "shadow wallet".

There's a couple of dangers with demo/shadow accounts though: they don't simulate the two most important elements of trading: emotions and real market behavior. In fact it's possible to get into bad habits using demo accounts, such as over-leverage or using unhedged/unprotected positions. The lack of emotions is a big problem too: many retail investors get into greed and panic events, which cause some of the worst losses - and which the professionals routinely use and abuse without any second thoughts. So I'd strongly advise against it.

Instead I'd suggest either not day-trading at all (really! the machines will beat you 90% of the time), or if you absolutely must, use a real live account with a broker that allows very small position sizes, fractional shares and micro/nano lots. Then you can slowly increase the stakes until you are still comfortable with it.

Historically speaking, you would have done well to increase leverage, either by adding shares or calls, when the stock has dropped at least 24% from a local peak. The real decision making comes with when to sell that leverage since, generally speaking, you only want to increase leverage at times of very low risk for a big dip and very high likelihood of a solid climb. If you aren't too greedy then you can pretty much deleverage after the stock has climbed a modest amount, say 18% from the bottom. You would miss some much bigger climbs from dips but you would virtually eliminate the problem of riding back down on a new dip with leverage.

TSLA even averages one dip of over 30% annually. There is no better time to ratchet up the leverage considerably. Just don't get too greedy on the climb when you are figuring out when to deleverage. On those 30% dips, you don't need to pay the time premium for LEAPs. ATM or even 10% OTM calls expiring in about 2 months have given ample time for recovery historically.

I set a target return and sell at that target - miss out on tremendous gains at times, but can’t lose my gains if I’ve secured them. Amazon is great for this because with a 1.5% SP increase you can secure 40% gains - amazon is up 1.5% or more 9 out of a typical 13 week span. Last year I went from 2k to 60k during Q4 just using this approach.

That being said - each...”evolutionary” moment for Tesla, such as this quarters deliveries/earnings I place a healthy wager WAY out of the money. One day...maybe. If you look at market chameleon’s option chain you can guess what I’m holding rofl.

"The VW spokesman said its plug-in hybrid models were at the back of the line for WLTP testing behind more popular conventional gasoline and diesel models. "There is a bottleneck with the testing," he said. "We have to get priority for highest-volume models."
Ummmm, so Tesla isn't the only one with bottlenecks?
I find it interesting that in the case of VW, clearing their bottleneck will result in cleaning their clock, while clearing Tesla's bottleneck will make it rise to the top.....oh sugar, I didn't mean that to rhyme.

That being said - each...”evolutionary” moment for Tesla, such as this quarters deliveries/earnings I place a healthy wager WAY out of the money. One day...maybe. If you look at market chameleon’s option chain you can guess what I’m holding rofl.

Was always wondering who was holding those 859x 2019/Feb/15 strike $700 calls! :D

Was always wondering who was holding those 859x 2019/Feb/15 strike $700 calls! :D

Oh that’s waaaay too far out for my attention span :p

I’m like the only volume on oct12 400s, and been adding for days.

Edit: and for the record this money is as good as lost...unless I’m ever right, and then I get a shiny new P100D.

My wife isn’t going to agree to a 100k + car purchase, so this is a lottery ticket of sorts.

But if Tesla does drop a high 80s or above deliveries number, a week run up and a tiny squeeze would be nice.

Last edited:
Options not for me! I’m stressed enough being long...

I bought one call once, it was 15/12/17 520 - way outside the money when I got it, but was actually up 10% when Tesks did the first 30 M3 deliveries, but then the ramp didn’t go as we would have liked.

I couldn’t live with that all the time, wouldn’t sleep at night...
I see you are also from Belgium. Take a look at TurboXL longs, offered a.o. by Binck Bank. Very simple tool, you can only lose your investment, nothing more. I bought some with a stop loss at 249 on Sep 7, SP was 263 back then. They have almost quadrupled in value now.

As some others here, this is just for fun. I'm in it for the long term, with real shares. I just use it to keep my focus on the SP (and this thread ;-) ) And with a very low investment value of course. I only turned a very nice dinner into a very nice weekend and had a lot of fun doing it :D

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Hey longs!

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fd59e6ac532ea353d9fc8c7b8e7c30df.jpg

:D

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

• Funny
Reactions: Fact Checking
Hey Zach, I just ran an updated chart for 2018, and shorts' "sell low, buy high" pattern holds.

As you can see below, short interest has been low when the SP is high, and high when the SP is low. For example, early in the year, when the SP was high, short interest dropped. It rocketed up in mid-March through May as the SP plummeted, dropped when the SP rose in the summer and fell even further when the SP peaked in August.

Shorts pattern of reliably bad timing thus continues. Whether the explanation is that shorts tend to be poor momentum investors who jump in when they think the price is dropping only to find they are shorting the bottom and get discouraged or are forced to cover when the SP rises, or are actively trying to short the company into bankruptcy as jesselivenomore suggests (or a combination), is another question.

I believe a few monts ago I saw someone run a regression and show that short interest strongly inversely correlates with SP -- confirming the "short low/cover high" pattern you can see visually from the charts. If I find it, I'll pass it along.

View attachment 338429

You make an assumption of causality on that chart when you say shorts' "sell low, buy high", but an opposite causality would explain the chart much better:
Short interest rocketed up from mid-March through May, which caused the SP to drop, since they were dumping a lot of stocks to sell on the market, clear market mechanics 101.
Then in the summer millions of short shares were covered, which caused the SP to rise up due to the added buying interest.

You make an assumption of causality on that chart when you say shorts' "sell low, buy high", but an opposite causality would explain the chart much better:
Short interest rocketed up from mid-March through May, which caused the SP to drop, since they were dumping a lot of stocks to sell on the market, clear market mechanics 101.
Then in the summer millions of short shares were covered, which caused the SP to rise up due to the added buying interest.

I am not making any assumptions about causality and I think it is important to separate cause and effect. My primary interest is in the effect -- do shorts tend to short at local highs and cover at local lows and therefore lose less money than might be expected from simply looking at the share price alone? It turns out it is just the opposite -- short interest tends to be highest when prices are low and lowest when prices are high. That shorting and covering tends to also influence the share price due to basic laws of supply and demand doesn't change that fact.

An interesting question has been raised as to whether the "short low, cover high" effect is just an artifact of options trading due to delta or other hedging. Looking into that question and will report back (tentative conclusion -- short low, cover high pattern reflects actual trading patterns not just hedging effects).

Status
Not open for further replies.