Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it said "We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter.

I think building = producing.

Clearly, it's two separate thoughts. They're
1. building
2. delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter

Musk seemed somewhat mentally broken...smoking weed live on TV, even not inhaled, showed very very poor judgement. this is no longer the Elon Musk I used to know over the years, something is wrong with his decision making process lately. I think he is mentally sick (serious depression perhaps). I hope this is temporary and he will get better, for the sake of all humanity.

This to me is far from over. The company is definitely doing fine, but the CEO is not. I do hope this forces TSLA board to rethink hiring a COO to help. I also hope his good friends get him some professional help. Until then, I am out of the stock because I cannot tell how much $TSLA value is built into Musk vs Tesla. Good luck folks.

-a (prior) long term bull.
While I am disappointed about Elon's recent tweets and interviews, I would like to point out that all these bad judgement calls are related to dealing with emotions and people. We already know Elon is not great on that front. These misjudgments do not mean his ability to drive innovation and build a successful business is in any way impaired. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were not great on this front either and the only difference being that Jobs and Gates completely avoided these kinds of interactions and Elon didn't - he thought he could charm the audience but overestimated himself.

If there is anything that troubles me more than being a superficial PR matters is his lack of sharp emotion judgement might have alienated him from some of his executives - it is a concern but that again is nothing new and he has been able to build multiple successful businesses in spite of this.

So in summary, all these are very distasteful to many people but it should not have a significant impact to the business. As long as Elon can show solid business results all these will be forgotten. Don't sell because of fear and don't sell because he did something that is distasteful (but has little to do with business.)

Clearly, it's two separate thoughts. They're
1. building
2. delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter
2x as many cars built is clearly not possible? That would imply over 107000 cars built in 1 quarter, if S+X is at optimistic 28'000, that implies 80'000 model 3 or 6500 weekly.

What a lie again, Elon please. Deliveries yes, you are right, but do not mix produced and deliveries together

The fact that no one else wanted to be CFO and Ahuja came back after retiring is still concerning to me.
Elon needs a good set of Chief _______ Officers around him. He's been doing it all himself for over a decade now and it's not clear how much longer he can go on doing it. This last year has taken a vast toll on him.

That is not a fact.

The fact that Ahuja knew exactly what he was getting into and wanted or was willing to come back is very reassuring to me.

Just about any company could use great new executive talent.

We don't need mediocre MBAs filling Tesla's ranks just to say we have more people working on it.

If Tesla finds great candidates to be Chief Operating Officer, Chief Accounting Officer, Chief Logistics Officer, Chief FUD Officer I am all for it.

I wish I knew :) But if I have to guess, whatever bad news had to come out has come out, I cant imagine anything worse until the most awaited Q3 deliveries and profitability. I think all the drama is over for now and TSLA can start its boring slow climb back up to the 300 level and then the ER will dictate how the price moves from there.
My crystal ball says, in the future sell the 420 rumor and buy the 420 event.

Posting a whole article is against the terms of service of TMC, and also illegal. In this case I think the title is sufficient explanation, but maybe a juicy stupid quote or two would be helpful.

Apologies, ggr, I copy-pasted the whole text up-thread. Didn’t realise I was being naughty... I tried to edit, but past the time limit.

I don’t think Elon minds that we post it here, I suspect it’s what he would actually want...

he thought he could charm the audience but overestimated himself

I'm less than sure about that, at least depending on which audience you're talking about. The general public appears to continue to adore him. Look at the merchandise for the Boring Co, or the lifestyle section of the Tesla store. They sold out 20k flamethrowers in a matter of hours. Ditto with a surfboard and a relatively expensive wireless phone charger. Those types of merchandise are entirely dependent on name and reputation. Clearly neither have been damaged particularly badly.

From the letter: "We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter"

Last Q tsla delivered 22319 s+x and 18449 model 3 so twice is 81536. If you assume 26400 s+x (as in luvb2b's model) then it implies 55136 model 3. looks like we should update the model 3 estimate in the model by about 3300!

We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter.'

I do not think we need to argue about the sense of this sentence, do we? He clearly wrote ..., building and delivering twice as many than,

What does this mean? Clearly, theyve also built twice as many. Problem : it is not possible. Therefore a lie and a misleading sentence in my view

2x as many cars built is clearly not possible? That would imply over 107000 cars built in 1 quarter, if S+X is at optimistic 28'000, that implies 80'000 model 3 or 6500 weekly.

What a lie again, Elon please. Deliveries yes, you are right, but do not mix produced and deliveries together

It’s pretty obvious he is referring to deliveries, as a doubling of production is not realistic. I wouldn’t call that a lie, but rather a typo. A lie implies intent, which wouldn’t make any sense.

From the letter: "We are about to have the most amazing quarter in our history, building and delivering more than twice as many cars as we did last quarter"

Last Q tsla delivered 22319 s+x and 18449 model 3 so twice is 81536. If you assume 26400 s+x (as in luvb2b's model) then it implies 55136 model 3. looks like we should update the model 3 estimate in the model by about 3300!
That is true, problem is from the statement it says that they've also built twice as many which implies a weekly m3 production of 6500

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Status
Not open for further replies.