Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people wondering who is selling now at these prices. Sounds insane with a 420 offer on the table.
Let me speculate a bit...
A lot of leveraged longs stated that they are exiting their long-term high price call options, as those are losing value (should go to 0 if their date/price is beyond the deal closing time/value). Now, we can assume most of those call options were written and sold by MMs. At the time they sold them, they probably bought some shares to hedge the option sale, they probably do not risk naked options. Now, when the options are bought back, they can sell the shares (at some profit as the SP is now higher). This is done by algobots, solid general logic, making profits so why not ? Except, this time there is a looming 420 offer on the table, so it would make sense to hold them, but there is no human oversight and the bots are not programmed to take into account twitter-rumors ;)

So, there, you do not need short sellers or stupidity to explain selling pressure below 420...
You're right about this... we can check by looking at the open interest on high-priced call options. (Some might be held by short-sellers who are hedging their losses, but the OI would still tell us how much stock the market makers needed to hold to hedge.)

Reactions: BrianZ
I actually agree with this. The stock price is now below the price it was when the announcement was made. It also killed the rise due to the Saudi investment. In my opinion the stock would have risen much higher without Elon’s tweet and wouldn’t have reversed as drastically as we’re now seeing. Seems like Elon killed the stock momentum to be able to bring Tesla private at a lower price, which is actually bad for us shareholders....

I agree with this. Instead of burning the shorts, he burnt some of the new longs who got excited and bought the last couple of days. He has also totally screwed up the options markets. The options premiums were already wild, now they have crazy spreads.

Reactions: shlokavica22
"I'm bored"...

"(not a) flame-throwers are fun"...
I could go on as there are so many, but this thread is big enough. Sure wish folks would stop replying to bums on a beach that you'd probably skirt around and ignore rather than engage, but I guess that's just me.

If anyone doubts Elon's tweets are the musings of a less than honest person who does not intend to follow through, by now, I have a Roadster in space video which should be a harbinger of future events.
You mean if anyone *thinks* Elon's tweets are...

Right? Because you said the opposite...

Seems like Elon killed the stock momentum to be able to bring Tesla private at a lower price, which is actually bad for us shareholders....
Only for shareholders who cannot stay in private Tesla. The 420 is irrespective of the true share valuation of the private entity.
For those traders selling, yeah the damping was not favorable. Although this may be presenting an opportunity.

So what should we expect if the forms are all filed correctly about considering going private and nothing bad comes out of Elon’s tweets, but then Elon states....decided not to go private, carry on.

I’m of the mind that Elon does want to go private, but I like to consider other possibilities
Elon definitely wants to go private, he's said so for 16 years.

If all the forms are filed correctly and then Elon decides not to go private because *the stock price has gotten too rich for his financiers*, well, then, that's just fine. But if the stock price is cheap enough, I'm quite sure he's going to do the go-private deal.

Nearly an hour ago CNBC interviewed Robert Peck, Credit Suisse global head of internet investment banking.

In answer to a question regarding taking Tesla private at 2:56 minute mark,

“I can’t comment specifically on any client that we have or prospective client that we have…”

Link to video: Nasdaq trying for its longest win streak of 2018

Hmm, Credit Suisse has been one of the most bullish on cleantech over the past several years.

All in all I think Tesla would have been just fine if it stayed public. It's a disappointment. IMO it's more for ease of life that Tesla leaders are doing it. They'll have less public stress to constantly counter attack FUD, Wall Street BS analysis etc. but fundamentally I don't think it changes a lot in terms of execution.
But that's just the way it is. On a 10 year period the outcome will likely be the same.

You’re forgetting that the Tesla brand keeps getting trashed by the financial press by shorts. Remove the shorts, you remove the spurious negative press. This absolutely helps the company.

Also, from a financial engineering point of view, this is a great way to flush out short term shareholders and replace them with long term investors. I would be surprised if this privatization didn’t also have some extra investment money thrown in to help Tesla expand more quickly.

Only for shareholders who cannot stay in private Tesla. The 420 is irrespective of the true share valuation of the private entity.
For those traders selling, yeah the damping was not favorable. Although this may be presenting an opportunity.

Many on this board will rate my other post “disagree” because they only think of themselves. However, many people are in my position and won’t be able to hold private shares.

You’re forgetting that the Tesla brand keeps getting trashed by the financial press by shorts. Remove the shorts, you remove the spurious negative press. This absolutely helps the company.
You won't remove the negative press from Big Oil, Big Auto, the UAW, etc., but you do remove some of it.

Also, from a financial engineering point of view, this is a great way to flush out short term shareholders and replace them with long term investors.
An explicitly stated goal of Musk.

Man I lol at people who thinks Elon will have a hard time taking Tesla private. Lets look at his historical wants.

1. Wants to change banking via the internet..he got it
2. Want to build reusable rockets while the space industry is dying..he got it.
3. Want to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy..he got that too.

So if he really wants to take Tesla private..that's like wanting a club sandwich compared to his other wants. I bet Jesus will show up if Elon wants the second coming next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.