Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to identify which rear motor I have on 85D and compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. We just got a 2015 85D that is about to go out of warranty. Not having any issues with the car besides just replacing a rear half shaft and seal (which was pretty easy), but wanted to learn as much about the drive units as possible. I’ve been reading here and it seems that some units are more problematic than others but I’m not sure which motor(s) my car has. TPN on rear motor is 1037050-00-D. Is this considered the LDU that is prone to issues or has this revision been revised to be more reliable? if I’m missing this, is there a list of motor model numbers with years and descriptions somewhere? Thanx.

From everything I've researched before buying my 15' 85D about 6 weeks ago. (going out of warranty in a few days)
You've got a good SDU. As long as you have AWD and NOT a performance then you shouldn't have any LDU's.

If "SDU" and "LDU" are "small drive unit" and "large drive unit", then I'd basically agree with this.

There were some issues with the large drive units having some noises described as "milling". The large drive units were used as the (only) drive unit in single-motor cars (e.g. 40, 60, 85, P85 and variants) or the rear drive units in performance dual-motor cars (e.g. P85D and variants). Non-performance dual-motor cars (e.g. 85D) had two of the small drive units, so wouldn't have this issue.

Bruce.

There were some issues with the large drive units having some noises described as "milling". The large drive units were used as the (only) drive unit in single-motor cars (e.g. 40, 60, 85, P85 and variants) or the rear drive units in performance dual-motor cars (e.g. P85D and variants). Non-performance dual-motor cars (e.g. 85D) had two of the small drive units, so wouldn't have this issue.

Bruce.

From what I read most of the LDU units with "milling" are likely to have been replaced. But they all have water cooling with a seal that always leaks sooner or later. As opposed to the SDU's which are only oil cooled.

Thank you all. This is what I wanted to hear. Also checked Wikipedia and some other EV sites and they indicated the same; the dual motor cars for my year went with a smaller drive unit for the rear. So I have two smaller drive units. I’m good with that - was worried about that shaft seal leaking coolant into the electronics.
Also, I think I put the wrong part number for my motor. That sticker says INVERTER. I’ll look under the car again and find the right part number to update my post.