Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planning -- LA to Carmel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 14 messages in this thread were moved from the "Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA - Bernard Dr." thread.

Planning LA to Carmel trip this weekend. This would be one of my preferred charging stops. Anyone know if it's re-opened yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kettleman is a little out of the way. Usually if taking I-5, you would veer off on 46 toward Paso Robles-then US 101 to Salinas and over to Monterey. Plenty of Superchargers now to support you.
Thanks all for the suggestions!

Planning I5 up and 101 back down, stopping in Paso Robles. Been to the original Kettleman location and have no problem using it again, just like that the new one is all V3/250kwh.

Leaving from Sant Clarita, so I5 is quickest. Will be picking up family at the Monterey Airport, so time is a factor on the way up.
Pushing to Kettleman gets me to Monterey with enough SOC to pick up at the airport and get to Carmel with just the one stop.

Crossing over further south through Paso means 2 stops as home to the Paso supercharger is 177 miles. Car is 2018 Model 3 Performance with real world range of about 180 miles (60k miles +/-8% battery degradation, 20" wheels, I don't drive 55, we don't pack light, etc).

My experience is fewer stops result in shorter overall travel time as each stop inevitably includes drinks, snacks and restrooms, which stretch a quick 10 minute stop to 20+ minutes.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

OK, I'm open to suggestions. What route would you choose?
ABRP says going through Paso Robles saves 8 minutes, but it's with 2 charging stops. My experience is we'll kill more than 8 minutes futzing around with snacks and restrooms...
I think his point was to account for the extra time in your departure. If you are going to spend an extra 30 minutes at the stops, leave 30 minutes earlier. Leaving a bit earlier but having a much more enjoyable drive is a worthy trade off for most.

Or, have them fly into an airport closer to you. They are all small regional jets with the exception of Allegiants A319 and there has to be an airport closer to you that they can fly to.

OK, I'm open to suggestions. What route would you choose?

One stop in Paso.

--Your stated real world range is 180 miles, your stated distance to Paso is 180 miles. Given that 1/3 of that milage is off-freeway (= not 85mph+, thus not stressing your real work range), its a slam dunk that you make Paso on the first leg without changing your driving habits, let alone with real time range mitigation.
--The second leg mileage on that route (Paso->MRY->Carmel) is ~120 miles; that's a really light charging lift for your "20+ minute" stop, especially on a 250kW plug
--Conversely, the second leg milage on the KC route is ~180 miles; based on your stated real wold range that effectively locks you into a near 100% charge at KC, so you're looking at probably 40 min or more.

While we all have reasons to choose routes that might not align with what other people would do, given the shorter driving time through Paso AND the shorter one stop charging time through Paso, AND that time is [near as I can tell] a concern for you, its a no brainer to go through Paso.

Like I mentioned, I would go for Paso Robles. Just did it last month (but from Santa Clarita). Didn't start with full, but my stops were at Tejon Ranch and Paso Robles - about 20 minutes each. Had wife and grandson - so stops are required, The short ones by far charge faster when level is low - compared to trying to charge all the way. That has been our strategy for almost 9 years (3 Teslas). Did 11,000 mile trip around the US last year and rarely charged over 30 minutes - usually 10 - 15. Was much quicker than trying to fill to go further. And most drivers don't want to do 3 hours without a break - even alone. With others on board - you WILL make stops. Easier to convince them to hold out for the short runs. Even if you run into trouble - after Paso there are several 'backup' chargers along the rest of the trip to make a 5 minute charge. We live on the Peninsula, but do the I-5 occasionally from LA area. Prefer 101 if in no hurry. I-5 via PAso has been the quickest. Do Kettlemen occasionally if alone - for the novelty of the coffee bar. But it does take longer.

Just adding that I made a similar trip recently. It was raining hard so mileage was terrible (1.29 rated miles used per actual mile from LA to Paso, with clear weather and no traffic was closer to 1.23 rated/actual) but still made it to Paso Robles from 100% with the same stats car as OP. There was a ton of traffic near the start so it ended up taking about 4 hours (planner says 3 hours with no traffic), which is likely more than we wanted for 1 leg. If I had to do it again, I'd probably stop at like Bakersfield/Copus for a few minutes more for a short break for everyone, rather than actually needing the charge.

Last edited: