Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip, Concord, Ca, to Los Angeles, Ca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2023 Model 3 SR 3 months ago and I have been itching for a long drive. So last Wednesday, I did a day trip with a friend. We did Concord to Los Angeles with a stop in Yermo on the way back. Started with 98% with 6 travel charges and 2 full charges at my destination. I had two issues during charging. One was at EVgo. Took 2 tries to get it to work. Other people were having issues too. I bought a CCS adapter for "just in case" and it worked out for me since I saved time charging while at my destination. The second one was at a Tesla Supercharger. I was getting super slow charge rate(4kw max) but switching to a neighboring stall fixed it. It did not help that the entire area smelled like a toilet. We got to stop at Kettleman City. Has a huge confusing charging area with a Tesla Lounge. One with 55 stalls and one the other has about 40 stall and the lounge. Both are in the same city but not the same area. I also used FSD for most of the trip. It worked well for the most part. Overall the trip was fun and I'll be doing it again and have already been planning on much longer trips. I attached a time lapse of my trip.

Nice one! Out of curiosity: how long did it take each trip, charges included? :)
Total Tesla Supercharger stops - 7, EVgo - 1 Total drive time including charging, 15 Hours, 38 Minutes
-----In Route Concord to LA, Charging stops, 3, 6hr, 58min(drive and charging)
----------Firebaugh, CA - 17 Minutes - 34% - 82%
----------Buttonwillow, CA - 17 Minutes - 25% - 72%
----------Burbank - North Third St, CA - 24 Minutes - 16% - 80%

-----Stop at Micro Center in LA - Destination charge, EVgo----------15011 Newport Avenue, Tustin, Ca - 39 Minutes - 65% - 100%
-----Stop at Eddie's World in Yermo, Ca - Destination charge, Tesla Supercharger----------36017 Calico Rd, Yermo, California - 41 Minutes - 44% - 100%

-----In Route to Concord from Yermo, Charging stops, 3, 6hr, 44min(drive and charging)
----------Bakersfield, CA - 18 Minutes - 19% - 49%
----------Kettleman City, CA - 28 Minutes - 21% - 87%
----------Gustine, CA - 10 Minutes - 36% - 70%

Was using FSD for a lot of the trip. Bounced around between 70 to 85 and most definitely did not hit tipple digits when there was no traffic.

Total Tesla Supercharger stops - 7, EVgo - 1 Total drive time including charging, 15 Hours, 38 Minutes
-----In Route Concord to LA, Charging stops, 3, 6hr, 58min(drive and charging)
----------Firebaugh, CA - 17 Minutes - 34% - 82%
----------Buttonwillow, CA - 17 Minutes - 25% - 72%
----------Burbank - North Third St, CA - 24 Minutes - 16% - 80%

-----Stop at Micro Center in LA - Destination charge, EVgo----------15011 Newport Avenue, Tustin, Ca - 39 Minutes - 65% - 100%
-----Stop at Eddie's World in Yermo, Ca - Destination charge, Tesla Supercharger----------36017 Calico Rd, Yermo, California - 41 Minutes - 44% - 100%

-----In Route to Concord from Yermo, Charging stops, 3, 6hr, 44min(drive and charging)
----------Bakersfield, CA - 18 Minutes - 19% - 49%
----------Kettleman City, CA - 28 Minutes - 21% - 87%
----------Gustine, CA - 10 Minutes - 36% - 70%

Was using FSD for a lot of the trip. Bounced around between 70 to 85 and most definitely did not hit tipple digits when there was no traffic.
Which buttonwilow SC did you go to? Earlier this week, the one with no amenities but has 250kw chargers was showing as totally offline on Monday and Wednesday so I had to stop at the 150kw one next to Starbucks which had 2 stalls not working and 1 charging very slowly before I found one that charged normally.

I found it strange the 250kw one was offline both days.

Which buttonwilow SC did you go to? Earlier this week, the one with no amenities but has 250kw chargers was showing as totally offline on Monday and Wednesday so I had to stop at the 150kw one next to Starbucks which had 2 stalls not working and 1 charging very slowly before I found one that charged normally.

I found it strange the 250kw one was offline both days.
I used the one by Starbucks/Subway. I had no issues there.

• Informative
Reactions: mgs333