Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tread wear question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla rotated my tires today. With 7,800 miles, all four tires measure 7mm outer side, 7mm middle and 6mm inside. These are Michelin Primacy, 19" tires on a MS-70D. Close to 80% of the miles on the car are highway miles as opposed to local miles. Tire pressure has been kept at about 45 psi, cold. A significant number of those miles were in high temperature weather, 90 to 102 or slightly more.

What does it mean when the inside edge of the tire, all tires in this case, wear slightly faster than the center and out side edge? Thank you
How did you get Tesla to rotate your tires? Did you pay them or did they consider it part of included service?

The early rotation mentioned by SomeJoe777 is the most important one as it sets up the tires for even wear later in life.

Very interesting... I've never heard that before. My first set was pathetic and my second set is about 10k in (already rotated once) and not tracking to be much better. I'll try that "top tip" when I go for set number three. Any explanation for why that would be the case though??

Very interesting... I've never heard that before. My first set was pathetic and my second set is about 10k in (already rotated once) and not tracking to be much better. I'll try that "top tip" when I go for set number three. Any explanation for why that would be the case though??
Without inspecting the tires, it's hard to say anything more than generalities that other Tesla owners have found. In particular, alignment on the early cars was very bad and some alignment machines at Tesla Service Centres had the wrong specs loaded (by the alignment vendor). On the rear, toe-out is a killer.

Note that the early rotation is most effective on non-D cars, because the idea is to give every tire a turn on the drive axle so that an even wear pattern will be set up. I see that I didn't express myself as well as I could have. Sorry about that. The early rotation is the most important "rotation". Not the most important factor in tire wear. Low pressure, poor alignment, and aggressive driving are the top causes of poor tire wear. That said in some cases where I've followed tire life on multiple vehicles, early rotation added 30-50% to the overall life because the vehicles I studied had a tendency to develop odd wear as miles accumulated. I haven't participated in any studies on Teslas, so I wouldn't expect a big gain as the other factors are going to be more important.

What you are trying to accomplish with any rotation scheme is to get all the tires to wear out at the same time so that you can replace them as a set (doesn't apply to staggered setups). Tires are a lot like wallpaper--if you don't get them from the same batch, they are likely not to match up well. My opinion is that a lot of tire rotation recommendations are to hide poor alignment design.

Reactions: Newscutter