Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction control devices for snow (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good review and shows the advantage of real snow tires.
I have 50 years experience driving on winter snow and my Model S with Pirelli Soto Zero3 tires (as well as my prior Model S with Michelin X-Ice) have been absolutely the best winter performing cars that I have ever owned (I have owned a lot of AWD and 4WD cars).
That said, any tire can slip under conditions (mostly ice) so you should always drive with caution.

Reactions: chdlmc and Goobers
I really like z-chains. I was going to see if they have clearance issues. I have them in all my other cars, as they are the only approved chains for those cars. They are incredibly easy to install/uninstall.
I understand your preference for z-chains, however, it's important to note that Tesla has specified Konig snow chains for the Model Y. These Tesla Model Y snow chains are specifically tested and approved for use with the Model Y and provide optimal fit and performance.

While z-chains may work well with your other cars, it's essential to prioritize using snow chains that are officially recommended for your Model Y. This ensures compatibility and avoids any potential clearance issues or damage to your vehicle.

If the Tesla specified Konig snow chains are sold out everywhere, I recommend being patient and checking back regularly as they may become available again. You can also try reaching out to Tesla directly for any updates on stock availability.

In the meantime, you can explore other alternatives that are compatible with your tire size of 255/45/19. Tesery Tesla Tesla Model Y snow chains, as mentioned earlier, have been known to work well and are easy to install/uninstall.

Tesla Model Y snow chains 1.jpg

Ultimately, the safety and well-being of both you and your Model Y should be the priority. Using the recommended Tesla Model Y snow chains specifically designed for your vehicle will ensure the best performance and minimize any potential risks or issues.

Stay safe on the snowy roads and enjoy your winter driving experience with your Model Y!

We will be doing some snow trip to Mammoth and Lake Tahoe this winter with our MYP (19" Gemini, stock Continental tires) and were wondering if we need some sort of traction device (like the Auto Sock) if conditions are really terrible for driving. The MYP is already dual motor/AWD with all season tires so it will be able to handle Requirement 2: (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

But say if it becomes really bad (chains/tractions required on all vehicles), should we have the Auto Sock just in case?
Planning a snow trip to Mammoth and Lake Tahoe with your Model Y Performance sounds like a blast! While your dual motor/AWD setup and all-season tires are a good start, having an extra layer of traction can be a game-changer in really challenging conditions.

Considering the requirements for chains or traction devices in certain conditions, having something like the Auto Sock as a backup is a smart move. It's that extra peace of mind for those unpredictable weather situations.

TESERY has a range of anti-skid snow chains designed specifically for Teslas, providing excellent traction when you need it most. Check out their offerings here: Tesla Model Y Snow Chains.

I have lived in the Lake Tahoe area for about 13 years, and I do not remember any R3 chain requirements here. When it's so bad, they close the road. On the other hand, California law requires carrying chains during R1 or R2 chain requirements in all vehicles (in 13 years, no one checked if I had them). You'll probably be fine if the conditions aren't really bad. Because I live here, I always use real winter tires. It's much better. But I would not buy them just because of one trip here if you have all-season tires. But because you have just all-season tires, it's definitely a good idea to carry chains or cables (and know how to put them on).

Reactions: mspohr
I have lived in the Lake Tahoe area for about 13 years, and I do not remember any R3 chain requirements here. When it's so bad, they close the road. On the other hand, California law requires carrying chains during R1 or R2 chain requirements in all vehicles (in 13 years, no one checked if I had them). You'll probably be fine if the conditions aren't really bad. Because I live here, I always use real winter tires. It's much better. But I would not buy them just because of one trip here if you have all-season tires. But because you have just all-season tires, it's definitely a good idea to carry chains or cables (and know how to put them on).
I agree. I have lived at Lake Tahoe for 47 years. If R3, you shouldn't be on the road.
I've never been checked for "carry chains" but if you don't have snow tires, it's a good idea to have them.
Chain control usually only looks at tread depth so worn tires won't pass.

Reactions: ClaytonW
Absolutely, when planning winter trips, especially to areas with challenging snow conditions like Mammoth and Lake Tahoe, it's a good idea to be prepared. While your Model Y Performance with all-wheel drive and all-season tires is well-equipped, having an additional traction device like the Auto Sock from TESERY can provide an extra layer of security.

Check out TESERY's Tesla Model Y Snow Chains. These anti-skid snow chains are designed to offer enhanced traction in extreme winter conditions. They're easy to install and remove, making them a convenient solution for unexpected challenges on the road.

In severe conditions where chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, having the Auto Sock in your trunk can be a smart precautionary measure. It's always better to be over-prepared for snowy adventures. Safe travels and enjoy your winter trips!

• Disagree
Reactions: ngng