Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox 2 connection trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
First post on this forum!
I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to give me some advice, even if I'm new here!

My car is a Model S85 2014 (or is it a 2015 model? My fusebox is of that type...)
I have a door handle that started acting weird. It went in and out multiple times at first, but now it's not moving. I removed it to check if it was the old version with microswitches and broken paddle gear, but no, it was a version 3 handle with stronger paddle gear and hall effect sensor. The door had some damage a while ago, and I guess they must have replaced the whole door. So I put the handle back in the car, and figured I'd try a recalibration before replacing it, to see if I could get it working properly again.

This is where I ran into some trouble. I paid for 1h subscription of Toolbox, and connected the car to my computer. I managed to connect Toolbox 3 successfully, but when I tried to run the door handle calibration routine, I was greeted by a message that this function was disabled due to some firmware issue and would be activated in the future. I was told to use Toolbox 2 instead.

Fine, I downloaded Toolbox 2 desktop version, but I could not for the life of me get it to connect.

What is required to connect with Toolbox 2?

I have my ethernet adapter set up with the recommended static IP. The car is in service mode, gateway unlocked. Key-fob is in the car. Brake pedal depressed. Tried unlocking in the software with both VIN and Token. With the token, the text field turned green. But the connection circle stayed yellow!
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

I believe that Toolbox 2 has been disabled for external use.
Toolbox 2 tries to connect to two endpoints, an external and internal address. The internal I think is for service centers that have a VPN connection back to Tesla.
I decompiler tbx.exe and you can see the below..

Attachments

• IMG-20230401-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230401-WA0000.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 297
Reactions: Denny Hsu
Bump...

I managed to get my hands on the "offline" version of the toolbox2. I plan to start my subscription but I have doubts toolbox2 will work with newest FW?

Can anyone confirm this? if its true, which version is needed to make it work?

Bump...

I managed to get my hands on the "offline" version of the toolbox2. I plan to start my subscription but I have doubts toolbox2 will work with newest FW?

Can anyone confirm this? if its true, which version is needed to make it work?
If you buy the subscription, Toolbox 2 works even with the latest firmware (2023.44.x). There a still some actions for S/X which aren't available in toolbox 3

You just can't trick it to get it for free, at least not as easy as it used to be.

If you have MCU0/1, you'll need to install a proxy on your notebook. But it's all shown in the service documents.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
There is a guy selling online access for 50 dollars a day ..and had the lists of the Odin commands and what they do kinda interesting..he must be doing the sending of the multi factor authentication since it is mandatory on service logins

@Hamen the TB2 version that is available from Tesla indeed works, but it is lacking a ton of functions.

I managed to get the old TB2 version with every function available (the so called offline version), but I am not sure if it will work with latest FW. I have no problem getting another subscription but would hate if it turns out it was for nothing :)

Reactions: Hamen