Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too young for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan. At the time, it felt like a slow process to get where I am today but know looking back and reflecting, I've exceeded those I know at a faster pace. I'm not used to having such expensive car. I'm used to owning cars in the 15-20k range and that was amazing enough to me. I felt success when I was able to buy a $36k 2015 Mustang GT at the age of 26 a couple years ago. Eveb at that level, I hardly personally knew anyone who had such a nice/expensive car.

Well, here I am today, just turned 29 and placed an order for a $90k car. (Taking delivery next week) and although it is within our means, it still doesn't sit right with me that I was able to do this and drive a car that's worth just about 100k... typing that didn't feel right lol it was always my unrealistic dream car but never at the age of 29. How did I get so lucky?

I wonder if there is anyone else here who almost came from nothing and now own a Tesla today or if there was anyone younger then 29 when their dream became a reality.
I still feel too young to have this car
I’m 22 and I own a Model S. Literally you can achieve anything if you genuinely work towards it. That’s the key to success

• Love
Reactions: Chancellor32
I'm in my early 30s married with a kid. Been looking at CPOs vs New inventory (floor model) and going back and forth in cost. Never bought a nice car for myself. The only "new" car I've ever pruchased was the family car for my wife, she was still driving the first car she ever bought which was a 2003 grand am she got fresh out of basic. I drive an 09 Toyota truck. So it's been a big decision trying to make that leap with something as expensive as a Tesla. Hell even been comparing an Audi (S5/s6) which I know is apples and oranges. Of course the advice people have given me is wait till I am 50 to buy something like this.

I'm in my early 30s married with a kid. Been looking at CPOs vs New inventory (floor model) and going back and forth in cost. Never bought a nice car for myself. The only "new" car I've ever pruchased was the family car for my wife, she was still driving the first car she ever bought which was a 2003 grand am she got fresh out of basic. I drive an 09 Toyota truck. So it's been a big decision trying to make that leap with something as expensive as a Tesla. Hell even been comparing an Audi (S5/s6) which I know is apples and oranges. Of course the advice people have given me is wait till I am 50 to buy something like this.
Then some people will argue to wait until 65 or retire. Buy when you can and physically enjoy.

I am not sure if any financial advisor can justify spending this much money on any car. I know I will not spend this much on a car again given a second chance. I will admit that I got partly sucked in because of Tesla's false advertising regarding FSD and ended up buying my very first brand new car in December 2016.
I am in mid 30s and spent 10 yrs in school post high school and bought Tesla after 2 yrs of working. I don't have any rich parents and being an immigrant my parents worked day and night to make ends meet. Lost my father several years ago and I did graduate with huge student debt. My previous car was a 2003 Altima with >150k miles and was tired of getting it fixed every few months. I do agree that you will get judged by your friends and family but people don't see where you coming from. Infact most of us live outside our means (car, cell phone, house etc.) and you can't rationalize everything you buy in life. Anyway knowing what I know now I would not buy a brand new Tesla again rather opt for cpo.