Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Those That Have Seen Model 3 in Person - Better Looking than the S?

Model 3 Better Looking Than the S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to get your eyes checked if you can't tell the Model 3 from the Prius.

This is the correct answer ...

The sad thing is, this isn't just a "bad photo", this is actually what the Model 3 looks like. Disproportionate in the name of rear passenger headroom, shaving off an extra .01 Cd, and of course making it look less desirable than the S.

Can't wait to see how hilarious Model Y looks if Model 3 is considered a "sedan" with its giant goofy-looking greenhouse that looks even taller than Model X's when relatively compared to the rest of the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and DR61
This is the correct answer ...
Right...the model 3 looks taller than the X.
-5tmfV_GNjc5HykrJsUTYVenCgMzhkEjPE_q-x46vw0FRTD_tg-Bh2lbQ5CfE7qgxdlpt2giFGROoNqZQjIrJn-50g9rscAjHs1fOqFObPx7r5Cyd225K2vkTOIVs1L_5RYVZXuFfktPeQ5zPsJHYazQwhHPF4CDlKrIkieaV7mU3yzsmi99fnlYEu5lx4ARp_csuCjmvaJYqHJUw8qL8w_vAIIBYBbQi-LT-snxFbflFpDYo_1ga6IAzm_s43zSL6F3dHyGkOaQSgZ0Ul6ReehRMVgd9F_4UHtgj1xdN9yd0ziMFBKfgO0fjOrKWrhPkp_TrKkJcTi_nuAM0Lfw7WBIfrseQDN9pIXELdrggIb3w5_7UaUmE_IK40amnAv0gAoExFmFFhQb9yyhzzZHpY4CzrLtXxGxSyIDZCEU0PupXQcL561hmtk5epgKoKTnPNKiHHPj20cJ8n_JNmtVqlG_r7jzYbENZD8lt3cWty2WzUsDj7Mas0V0fE0t4YdV8TNKH13O00qTMIktVHH-ivEJxYAdUtaWEZLTC67I4vA6LwTgvZCXqnstN1A-k09KnQlBfGjZ2Oj6Z7REDrtSAUZES6UrRpsZfMYBvFL_4fmF28KRHyE0zDQDnxiT7x0IaIA0NARFHbTOmv4WALJiwUSRaIGD2fl7l77YRTL-E7tpFQ0=w1200-h468-no

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and DR61
I am sorry but the Model S is a much better looking car than the Model 3. The Model 3 looks pretty good from the side and back but the front is pretty bad. There is no reason why a Tesla vehicle should have a duck-bill front.
Why are you sorry? There is no reason why a Tesla vehicle should have a pencil thin mustache front.

Like the Model S? buy one. Like the Model 3? buy one. That will be a win/win for everyone, Tesla, and the environment. I'll be buying the 3 and I will be very happy with it and so will ~500K other owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: chronopc
For me, both cars looks good. But I like 3 more. The S looks fine on photos but in real it is so loooong and wide, it is absurd. Also from the side view the hung over on back looks pretty bad. On the other hand the 3 looks perfect size and I love how it looks from each angle. The best is front, the worst is back. For me I like both cars but 3 I like more ( I also like X more than S, so maybe that is why).

Reactions: DR61
Looks great in this angle
uQrENqD6sIQ34TGlbRLbOsLuFB0siyee4flc-lIW5likToRTscj3hFEnhDvMPzfBlgq0GN7NglDeKZhzIT_Cza0MkE0yL6-1yGcI_HO3FcCDqtB7XfmT-_sBgAWR2boYoiwKhUXr_gfd_V4LG2HuIfUfdQVSug6RxeBFBOxYbo2p9jPT8ddHZqpTawapRCLqPX_k_HhO3KOplTE6kpKu8BsyfAhY_1HLraXY5gRBzPgRBuMdeHzTOSBkjQNqUcB6scDzwlAhc9wCWtb-mn2zIZFR4KHLXHOdy4pYV43lucGgwsTDhJcEx9uTUbDQG5MEgidLoZ2FRleQWmGx8G6F0vFDE-aeSCMlQymehM3aem6wpDt2aq1gsqT15d5P1ood-sh5M2tV9OPmfVWoWthWZPZuL6HwaW7Co-Rkr_hmKCtm2h-QgEBYdmqr0-pu_IrFw3BeJU9IkcovDVq5OTuZxHeIYxwfh9NdVFsksmIpfqGEm_rjNZnrdTboWX-eFcLGYhBY6Ir8My0sWxrZbNlOjyZtlz0wk6pl1DihYyCQ9WYIeSLv9jx-ciHyE9exDNSKrsCWbkH9OXsl9tGrtW6iTOMzc9mlEHzNjcXeBgGWGpSZ08xMkir7C5ww57JmL3A2fkVaHEGv43Y9JJ5UuHqmQzG4vSm23UnGLmvK_JQAaBfC7i4=w872-h654-no
I think this one is pretty misleading from the angle or camera lense.

Here is an album with some similar shot, but when you look at the other images you see that the hood is much smaller. That's at least my impression and I feel it would look better with a larger hood, although I of course understand why engineering wise it would make no sense.

White Model 3 at Fremont

Correct!

Close enough ... the high greenhouse kills the look for both the Model 3 - see below :cool:

View attachment 243757
Why is it, with literally 100s of shots of the 3 that we've seen for months and months, from every conceivable angle, some are grabbing on to this one single shot, as testimony as to why the 3 isn't a good looking car? All the other shots showed a car that looked strikingly similar to the S and most never complained.

Sorry, to me this sounds a bit like trolling.

Why are you sorry? There is no reason why a Tesla vehicle should have a pencil thin mustache front.

Like the Model S? buy one. Like the Model 3? buy one. That will be a win/win for everyone, Tesla, and the environment. I'll be buying the 3 and I will be very happy with it and so will ~500K other owners.
Besides, for the difference in price between the S and the 3, you can get an artist to paint a mustache on the 3. ;)

I drove over to the Tesla factory today just to get a look at one in person. I have been wanting pearl white but wanted to see silver and blue in person. I was not able to find a blue one but the pearl looked amazing. As far as looks compared to S, from the front, and side views, I prefer it, however, while I don't dislike the back of the 3, I like the rear of the S better. I like the front look of the 3 without the "mustache" much more.

I completely agree with this assessment. I have twice visited Tesla P.A. HQ and find the 3 to be graceful and beautiful. In some photos the dome did look ungainly, but seeing ten of them interspersed with various iterations of both the S and the X at the charging stations both dispelled that concern and demonstrated to me that the 3 more than holds its own in the looks department.

I, too, believe the fascia of the 3 is much more aesthetically pleasing than the "snaggletooth" or moustache styling of its older siblings. I've seen a photo shopped version of the X with the 3 fascia. It looked so sleek. I would love to see a similar render of the S. A more subtle "Saleen" aftermarket fascia, if you will. My photo shop skills would only kill the idea!

I completely agree with this assessment. I have twice visited Tesla P.A. HQ and find the 3 to be graceful and beautiful. In some photos the dome did look ungainly, but seeing ten of them interspersed with various iterations of both the S and the X at the charging stations both dispelled that concern and demonstrated to me that the 3 more than holds its own in the looks department.

I, too, believe the fascia of the 3 is much more aesthetically pleasing than the "snaggletooth" or moustache styling of its older siblings. I've seen a photo shopped version of the X with the 3 fascia. It looked so sleek. I would love to see a similar render of the S. A more subtle "Saleen" aftermarket fascia, if you will. My photo shop skills would only kill the idea!
Here's what Saleen did with the Model S. Not sure if I like it better or not.
Saleen-FourSixteen-Tesla-Model-S-PLACEMENT.jpg

I feel it would look better with a larger hood
People are having a hard time moving away from the ICE design cues - large gaping front grill, long hood, copious front scoops, tachometers, water temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, gear shifters, and other superfluous baggage in an EV world. Five years from now, the typical ICE vehicle is going to look goofy.

People are having a hard time moving away from the ICE design cues - large gaping front grill, long hood, copious front scoops, tachometers, water temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, gear shifters, and other superfluous baggage in an EV world. Five years from now, the typical ICE vehicle is going to look goofy.
You're telling me this will not be a classic in 5 years? I count 13 grill lines.
2017-lexus-es-300-hybrid-sedan-front-view.png

The Model 3 page on TeslaMotors.com has been updated with a video of the 3 from various angles as opposed to a static photo which can distort the proportions. I like every view of the Model 3 in the video. My configuration date cannot come soon enough!