Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To the person taking delivery of Red M3 with Aeros in Rocklin today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a pending M3 owner waiting for VIN, I have never had a chance to touch or sit in a 3 before plunking down my deposit. Today I figured I'd drive by Rocklin again to see if any new 3's came in, maybe see one up close. Walking into the showroom, I was greeted by the usual nice younger fellow who was explaining they still don't have any on display, but there was a customer car just prepped, about to be delivered today. They had that car outside of the gated area, but roped off. He said I could lean in and look close, but made it clear DON'T TOUCH. Disappointing, but no problem, I respect other people's stuff. I take the opportunity to get 1-2 feet closer than I ever have before (when behind a fence). After maybe 30 seconds, as I find an angle to barely see the dash over the window glare, I snap a quick pic to show my wife (my phone got maybe 1/4" from driver's window, not even the VIN area). Right then, another Tesla employee comes rushing out, "sir you can't do that." I told him the other guy said I could look and even lean over the rope, just do not touch... Is there a problem? To which he replied, "the owner of that car is in here and you're worrying him". Nothing about the pic, just that I was too close for comfort. I restrained my urge to just go off (may have mumbled something about spending $50K on a car I can't even LOOK AT), but I really understand this isn't Tesla's fault - they were doing what they had to do for this customer. I respected their wishes, quickly left, and tried to let it go... but it was eating at me the whole way home. Aren't we supposed to be like a family? Every Telsa owner I've talked to has been friendly, and wants to share this amazing Tesla experience so many of us have come to know first hand (many who made sacrifices to do so).

So I am directing this to that person, and I hope you read these forums:

Sir/Maam, were you really "worried" or "scared" of me being inches from your car while at the showroom in front of everyone? What was it that worried you exactly? Do you plan to hire a guard to stand by when parked at the grocery store? Shouldn't we be spreading the word, encouraging people, and showing off all the reasons we are part of this "club" in the first place!? If I had been in the office finalizing paperwork and saw you oogling over my M3, I may have initially thought "hey don't touch my car!", but quickly, especially when you are shunned by a Tesla employee due to me, I would've jumped up and struck a conversation. Who else would be oogling over the only M3 not hidden in the back except another eager fan, who obviously wasn't there to key my car!? Even if I was tied up with paperwork, I would have asked the Tesla employee going out there to say "hang out for a bit, the owner wants to show you the car when they're done". I probably would even have offered to let you sit in it (after I got my first sit, of course) and probably even taken a ride around the block. As Tesla owners, EV fans, and car enthusiast, we should all understand the unique time and position we're in, and have an innate sense of comradery. Or do I just expect too much from humanity? It has been difficult writing this without using explosive expletives to describe you, but perhaps I rushed to judgement. Do you have an explanation? I hope this was just an isolated incident and you really do give a &$%#. Please share your Tesla experience with everyone you can.

I will now make a point on my M3 delivery day to walk around, talk to customers, and ask if anyone wants to see it. And anyone reading this who wants to touch/feel/sit/ride/whatever once I have my M3, you are welcome to do so!!!! Just send a PM.

Cheers to the family...

probably me....

1. no idea what you are talking about. anything they said to you was not me, and i am not even aware of anyone looking at my car. i only saw a few people in the showroom

2. sensitive much?

3. my guess is if you are leaning to 1/4 inch of the car... then the chance of you losing your balance is not nil. then you catch your balance by putting your hand on the car, or worse, your phone scratches the car... ETA: or even worse, you cause the ropes and the poles to fall on the car. i would think as an employee, that would be disastrous and they are sensitive to that. you can see from the photo that the ropes are not that close to the car. (it was completely roped off when i got there and they opened the rope for me.)

tesla delivery.jpg

i would've welcomed any onlookers. otoh, if i were you, i would not have let your experience bother me one bit. a guy tells me to back off, i back off. no big deal. get on with my life. the rocklin delivery team was top notch and tried their best to make my experience memorable, and succeeded. if that means an employee telling an onlooker to not get too close to my car, because they don't want to ruin my experience, I have no problem with that. if they felt the best way to do that was to use the owner of the car as the reason, i have no problem with that either.

peace

When I was reading the OP, I was thinking "I'll bet that wasn't the owner worried... it was overly protective staff using a reasonable excuse." Then I read the reply.. and sure enough!

But I agree with OP... that would have bothered me if I thought it was really the owner... I have been fortunate enough to have great experiences with other Tesla owners (literally never a bad one, and some above and beyond amazing! @Cattledog letting us drive his new X exceeded the standard for me, years ago!)

And of course, there is no obligation for the owner to not be paranoid, but it feels... different... than my experience, and what I hope to pass on to future owners. So I'm with OP, and I don't think he's sensitive, just misattributing the best intentions of the over-protective staff to another owner. And let's all, within the realms of comfort, share the joy!

But @Bruinfan, I have serious car envy... that is my future car there! If you tell me you configured yesterday, I may cry.

• Love
Reactions: Cattledog
ohh man....have to love the internet :)

About 5 years ago I subconsciously leaned against the bed of a beat up Front Ranger and the owner had an absolute meltdown and wanted to start a fight so since then I've been super conscious of not touching other peoples cars. Lesson learned.

Personally I couldn't care less about my own vehicles....if some leaned on my Tesla who cares. It is a piece of metal. Two years ago I let a random guy I met in a parking lot of a grocery store take my Model S for spin. I simply just don't care. If you car gets scratched is that really the worse thing that could have happened to you on that particular day?

But yea, the original poster of the thread is 100% out to lunch. How complicated is it...not your car, don't touch it. Period.

And no we are not a family....it is a freaking mass produced car!! You aren't special because you are a Tesla owner.

And people made/make sacrifices to buy a Tesla? Give me a break. People around the globe don't have clean drinking water and we are making "sacrifices" to drive a premium car. Let me guess, you can only go on one vacation this year instead of two. People in North America are seriously out to lunch. I could have fed a village in Africa for the 100k I paid for my Model S.

Last edited:
I will now make a point on my M3 delivery day to walk around, talk to customers, and ask if anyone wants to see it. And anyone reading this who wants to touch/feel/sit/ride/whatever once I have my M3, you are welcome to do so!!!! Just send a PM.

Cheers to the family...

Are you okay with Tesla letting reservation holders climb in and out of your car BEFORE you take delivery? If it gets damaged, will you hold Tesla responsible or will you just shrug and say c'est la vie?

Because family.

What I'm saying is this: It's one thing to be willing to share your personal car. But Tesla is responsible for that car until it's delivered. I'd cut them a ton of slack on this.

And people made/make sacrifices to buy a Tesla? Give me a break. People around the globe don't have clean drinking water and we are making "sacrifices" to drive a premium car. Let me guess, you can only go on one vacation this year instead of two. People in North America are seriously out to lunch. I could have fed a village in Africa for the 100k I paid for my Model S.

32.3% of my paycheck goes to pay for my car note. Yes I've made sacrifices to get buy it.

Are you okay with Tesla letting reservation holders climb in and out of your car BEFORE you take delivery? If it gets damaged, will you hold Tesla responsible or will you just shrug and say c'est la vie?

Because family.

What I'm saying is this: It's one thing to be willing to share your personal car. But Tesla is responsible for that car until it's delivered. I'd cut them a ton of slack on this.
Get the hell out of here with logic and stuff.

Its not unreasonable to want strangers to stay a reasonable distance from (probably) the second most expensive object you purchase. Looking from a reasonable distance is fine, touching is not, leaning is not. The only thing I have ever bought or will ever buy that's more expensive than the car is my home, I wouldn't be very happy if I came home and someone was touching it or taking pictures inside either.

• Funny
Reactions: LCR1
probably me....

1. no idea what you are talking about. anything they said to you was not me, and i am not even aware of anyone looking at my car. i only saw a few people in the showroom

2. sensitive much?

3. my guess is if you are leaning to 1/4 inch of the car... then the chance of you losing your balance is not nil. then you catch your balance by putting your hand on the car, or worse, your phone scratches the car... ETA: or even worse, you cause the ropes and the poles to fall on the car. i would think as an employee, that would be disastrous and they are sensitive to that. you can see from the photo that the ropes are not that close to the car. (it was completely roped off when i got there and they opened the rope for me.)

View attachment 280548

i would've welcomed any onlookers. otoh, if i were you, i would not have let your experience bother me one bit. a guy tells me to back off, i back off. no big deal. get on with my life. the rocklin delivery team was top notch and tried their best to make my experience memorable, and succeeded. if that means an employee telling an onlooker to not get too close to my car, because they don't want to ruin my experience, I have no problem with that. if they felt the best way to do that was to use the owner of the car as the reason, i have no problem with that either.

peace

1. Awesome. That is why I mentioned reserving judgement, and I really didn't think I'd find you on here, just had to vent. I can only tell you what the employee told me "the owner is worried" (might have said scared but same point). I'm glad to hear that wasn't the case, hope there's no hard feelings. This just confirms to me that Tesla needs to get the story straight between their employees (don't tell me it's fine and 30 secs later tell me no). I also don't believe it's OK TO LIE and basically put words in YOUR mouth that weren't yours. If I was in your shoes I'd be a little frustrated about that. They could have easily told me "Sorry, that other employee was incorrect, we just need to keep everyone away from cars pending delivery, I'll make sure they better communicate the policy in the future."

2. Yes, but I prefer to think it's one of my better qualities in many contexts, but perhaps not in this case. Judging by some of the other replies in this thread, I'm not alone in that.

3. I was barely leaning. The ropes were not taut. There was ZERO risk to the car. The Tesla guy (thankfully not you) was just paranoid. Furthermore this seems to be a direct conflict with my Model S purchase experience, where I WAS INVITED TO SIT IN A CUSTOMER'S CAR pending delivery in the same exact situation. (I didn't damage that one either).

Yes, I will agree the employees in Rocklin have been helpful most of the time. The OA on my MS and the whole experience was OUTSTANDING. I want to make sure they get credit for that. At the same time, I have experience like this one, and several other encounters that left me thinking WTF!?!? Unfortunately, the good experiences seem to be less recent, and the less joyful ones seem to be occurring more frequent. I am hoping this is just bad timing and/or a result of the rapid upscaling as they ready for M3 (new service center, fresh employees, etc).

Thanks for replying. Hope to see you around the area, enjoy your beautiful car... it almost made me switch my order from blue to red! :)

Reactions: rsbell
The bottom line on this subject matter is simple. Its not yours ask for permission if granted fantastic if not, its no big issue. Tesla is responsible for this car until it drives off the lot. Like in California a car is legally delivered not at signing but when the owner drives his car off the lot. Lets be polite with others property. Yes a ton of unfortunate things could happen and have. I remember once allowing a family member sit in my car, unfortunately for me he had a pencil in his back pocket. Well you can image what happened next. Lets be aware of each others personal property and just ask for permission period. I will let anyone sit in my car but might have to frisk your first for sharp items based on my experience. LOL

We're family sure... but let me say it's Ok for you to put the first scratch on my New car that I've been waiting over a year and half for. I don't think the employee was unreasonable just making sure the new buyers experience was not ruined with an accident

Understand both sides of this issue.

In my neighborhood we have skate boarders with an entitled attitude. When I ask them not to skate, doing tricks close to the car they just give me attitude. When they rail on the curbs, chipping them up with their metal trucks they act offended when I ask them to stop.

Sounds like your enthusiasm was causing you to push the limit of the comfort zone of the delivery team. Some may cause it an over abundance of caution, but others say they are just doing their job.

If your actions were causing them enough anxiety to ask you to back off a little, there is no reason to not just back off a little so everybody is in in their comfort zone.

I know that you were not like Paparazzi, but getting agressive with a camera might get their attention.

This all will fade away when you get your own car, and the desire to take pictures to show your friends is somewhat irresistible, but it sounds like no damage was done, and all ended well, but perhaps with your feelings hurt a bit.

The real issue is that it was not your car, and you pushed it just a bit beyond where they felt comfortable.

Funny story. When I got my last Audi (fully loaded A6), I had to come back to the dealership the second day to finish some paperwork. I parked it in the lot not thinking much of it at the time.

As I was in the finance office, I saw some people checking out my car as if it were for sale. At first it seemed highly amusing. But that quickly faded as I saw some people aggressively tugging on the door handle trying to get inside.

I support the Rocklin staff for being defensive about an imminent customer's car. I think the current M3's are probably close in price to what I paid for that A6 (around $70k), and for me at the time, that was a HUGE purchase and literally my #1 expense. Sure as time goes on, my car turns into my tank and I could care less about people messing with it. But on delivery day to the day of the first scratch, it's my baby and I'll come after you with a Boring Co Flamethrower if you get too close :D