Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMS cooling question when parked and not connected to a charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if I should install AC in my hot Florida garage?
I don't think any of the FL Roadster owners have done this. Vent fan as Jerry suggests is a good idea just to prevent the heat bubble from heating up your house. In my experience w/ the Roadster, a charging EV heated my garage less than parking my Corvette inside. With the side benefit that the Roadster didn't charge until midnight while the Corvette was toasty warm as soon as I pulled it in.

The Model S is always on and maintaing your battery temperature. It was use up a little more energy sitting unplugged for that long but the battery is large enough ( and you don't park it with a 5% state of charge before leaving for a long time) you'll be fine. Welcome to TMC too.

Hey Dave,

Now that you have your car and live in Texas do you have any real world feedback on battery drain due to cooling in hot weather? That is one of the things that pushed me to the 60 kWh since I will have to park mine in the open for 8 hours a day here in Austin while at work.

Thanks,

Hey Dave,

Now that you have your car and live in Texas do you have any real world feedback on battery drain due to cooling in hot weather? That is one of the things that pushed me to the 60 kWh since I will have to park mine in the open for 8 hours a day here in Austin while at work.

Thanks,

I am lucky enough to park in a garage most of the time at work but even when I've parked the Roadster outside for many hours in the summer, I've never really noticed much of a hit on the range. I may be there but it's so small, I've never even noticed. The Model S should be more advanced in this regard anyway. 60 kWh probably smart to get anyway with the 3 Superchargers they are putting up in Texas.