Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just visited the service center in Santa Barbara and they measured my tire wear as part of their routine. 21" Michelin Super Sports, 6mm front and 5mm rear tread depth and even wear. I believe new they are 7 or 8mm. The rears have 17000 miles on them, the fronts about 9000 as they were replaced due to road hazard damage. The alignment is as delivered from the factory 1 year ago. This should put to bed all the talk about rapid wear of 21" tires. If your alignment is good, these things will last.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
Oh it’s possible to ware out a set of 21” tires very quickly if you regularly accelerate ludicrously....

another thing we didn’t talk about was tread ware rateings... I’m running PS2 tires which do have a lower tread ware rating 200 or 20000 miles vs the the pilot super sport that has a 300 or 30000 mile tread ware rating... I expect to finish off this set of tires in the next few months I’m at 6500 miles on them now and the rear inside edge of the tires are just above the ware bar now!!

Oh it’s possible to ware out a set of 21” tires very quickly if you regularly accelerate ludicrously....

another thing we didn’t talk about was tread ware rateings... I’m running PS2 tires which do have a lower tread ware rating 200 or 20000 miles vs the the pilot super sport that has a 300 or 30000 mile tread ware rating... I expect to finish off this set of tires in the next few months I’m at 6500 miles on them now and the rear inside edge of the tires are just above the ware bar now!!
Even with Ludicrous launches, you're not getting enough wheelspin to wear the tires. Your uneven wear tells the tale-alignment.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
Just visited the service center in Santa Barbara and they measured my tire wear as part of their routine. 21" Michelin Super Sports, 6mm front and 5mm rear tread depth and even wear. I believe new they are 7 or 8mm. The rears have 17000 miles on them, the fronts about 9000 as they were replaced due to road hazard damage. The alignment is as delivered from the factory 1 year ago. This should put to bed all the talk about rapid wear of 21" tires. If your alignment is good, these things will last.

That is possibly the saddest thing I've ever read on this forum.
I can wreck a set of back tires in less than 7k. on a P100D, I'd be lucky to have 2/32 left after a week.

The inside edge ware is well documented and is unadjustable on any Tesla unless you install aftermarket camber links on the rear wheels... there’s a few large threads on that in the forum if you search :rolleyes:

This is my favorite Upper Rear Link Build (Reduces rear camber to improve tire wear)
Then why are my tires lasting and wearing evenly? Camber doesn't have much effect on wear, but insufficient toe in does and is readily adjustable. Early cars had bad settings, but they have corrected that. Well documented perhaps, but not necessarily gospel.

Are there a lot of you running performance tires on your S? I just try to max out my tire life and range. Gimme that high treadwear!

Also is this actually what the treadwear rating means? I've never heard the 200TW = 20000 miles thing but it sounds very logical

You don't have to spin the tires to wear them... working the tires harder either cornering, or acceleration will wear them more quickly, more heat is generated more quickly, and breaks them down more rapidly. If you use CHILL mode at all times, I guarantee your will get more life, albeit boring life, out of them.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
You don't have to spin the tires to wear them... working the tires harder either cornering, or acceleration will wear them more quickly, more heat is generated more quickly, and breaks them down more rapidly. If you use CHILL mode at all times, I guarantee your will get more life, albeit boring life, out of them.

Chill mode...while it’s more relaxing...may as well buy a Honda Civic and save 80k :)

• Funny
Reactions: Adm and timvracer
F9088C02-905E-4BD2-A1CF-D608D3595354.png
Then why are my tires lasting and wearing evenly? Camber doesn't have much effect on wear, but insufficient toe in does and is readily adjustable. Early cars had bad settings, but they have corrected that. Well documented perhaps, but not necessarily gospel.
Camber does play a large role in tire wear, I taught alignment classes for many years. One thing to take into consideration on tire wear is vehicle height. Your factory alignment is set in standard height mode and those of you with ludicrous mode in your blood will have your suspension set at low or lowest height and I believe he suspension will on its own lower itself with ludicrous mode on and the pedal down for downforce.

I’m amazed at a few people that seem to be upset at the mileage they are getting out the these tires, like they have never owned a high performance vehicle before. It’s funny how when some have to spend money on upkeep they throw around the disbelief card but when they are driving if their buddy for the first time they use the “hold my beer and watch this” card.

Want better tire wear and better range? Back off the accelerator and have your alignment checked and adjusted to your driving habits.

In my crazy sports car days I got about 10K miles from a set of tires and counted myself lucky to do so.
Same here. My 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06 with 505 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft of torque went through rear tires in 9,000 miles if you drove it hard... $15,000 if you drove reserved... and each tire cost $500+. Tesla tires are comparatively CHEAP :cool:

Same here. My 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06 with 505 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft of torque went through rear tires in 9,000 miles if you drove it hard... $15,000 if you drove reserved... and each tire cost $500+. Tesla tires are comparatively CHEAP :cool:

I have the same Z06 with just a tad more power. You're not having enough fun if you are getting 9000 miles out of your rear tires ;-). I'm lucky if I see 6000.

Reactions: Tech_Guy