Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire has nail... Tesla says they can't replace it until NOVEMBER?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

Our Model X managed to get a nail in a rear tire. Tesla says they have no appointments available to replace the tire until November.

Seriously?

It looks like this is a custom tire for the Model X as I can't find it in stock anywhere:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
285/35R22 106W

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

From a non tesla owner, I got a large allen key in a tire, took it to a auto repair place and they stuck a bung in the hole and did something with it for £18. Saved the tire and nothing wrong with it since, been a year since it happened.

I would have thought you could save the tire, the nail would give a small hole. Find an auto repair place that can do it.

With modern tire monitoring systems, plugging tires is far safer than it used to be. The biggest threat before, was the plug would have a slow leak, and you would drive on an underinflated tire, which can cause any tire to fail catastrophically.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
1. Might want to update your signature to reflect that your X was delivered. ;)
2. TireRack reports "Limited Stock, Enter ZIP Code to Check Availability"
3. DiscountTire has worked well for me on my S tires. For Michelins (Pilot SuperSport, for example), they deal with the warranty on your behalf so you only have to deal with DT. Also, they offer some (I forget what it's called...) coverage on OEM tires that were purchased with the vehicle. I came to them with a nail in my P85D tire and was able to buy that coverage on the spot before they looked at the nail damage. Convenient for peace of mind -- especially since I got another nail a few weeks later.

• Informative
Reactions: Softwizard
I too got a 1/4" nail in the tire that casued a slow leak. Took it to a reputable tire shop. 30 minutes and $30 later, I was a happy camper. Have been monitoring my tire pressure since then and it's a constant 43-45 psi. BTW, they patched it.