Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time For Some Destination Chargers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners: I own three solar-powered vacation rentals in central Kansas (not exactly a destination unless you want to drive here). I'm thinking of adding EV charging stations, using a Turbocord that can be plugged into a 240V outlet. I realize that this is chiefly for other EVs (Turbocord uses a J1772 plug, not Tesla's). This isn't installed as yet, but should be by the end of July. Tesla has a supercharger about 25 miles north at a Holiday Inn Express (an okay place to stay) in Salina. Any comments? If I'm way off base, kindly direct me elsewhere.

Tesla owners: I own three solar-powered vacation rentals in central Kansas (not exactly a destination unless you want to drive here). I'm thinking of adding EV charging stations, using a Turbocord that can be plugged into a 240V outlet. I realize that this is chiefly for other EVs (Turbocord uses a J1772 plug, not Tesla's). This isn't installed as yet, but should be by the end of July. Tesla has a supercharger about 25 miles north at a Holiday Inn Express (an okay place to stay) in Salina. Any comments? If I'm way off base, kindly direct me elsewhere.

That would be great! Tesla's can charge on either a 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet or J1772 station, so both options work. Once the stations are installed you should list your location on PlugShare to let EV drivers know they're available.

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

See http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14817-Model-S-to-Roadster-adapter"]Model S to Roadster adapter for some Roadster owners working on the MS to Roadster adapter that Tesla should have offered. This should help!

Agreed - Henry has done a great job with the CANs and I already own his J1772 adapter, but it doesn't help other EV drivers. I'm fine with Tesla building a proprietary L3 Supercharging network given the mess of fast DC charging standards, but using HPWCs as destination chargers instead of standard J1772 does a disservice to other EV owners and goes against their mission to further EV adoption. If they're going to use HPWC hardware, at least put a J1772 plug on it for public destinations.

+1 for using J1772 plugs for public destinations.

It would be great if Tesla offered a HPWC with the J1772 plug, with the half price deal for businesses that will install it for public use. That would only be $600, compared to about $2000 for a Clipper Creek CS-100 or equivelent. The HPWC is smaller and better looking as well. This would be a big help to convince businesses to install L2 charging stations.

GSP

See Model S to Roadster adapter for some Roadster owners working on the MS to Roadster adapter that Tesla should have offered. This should help!

that is a great thread, thanks for cross posting Cottonwood! Henry has done some amazing work and probably most of the heavy lifting to make a Tesla II (models S) connector to J1772 adapter possible so that other EV drivers could take advantage of the expanding install base of HPWC.

+1 for using J1772 plugs for public destinations.

It would be great if Tesla offered a HPWC with the J1772 plug, with the half price deal for businesses that will install it for public use. That would only be $600, compared to about $2000 for a Clipper Creek CS-100 or equivelent. The HPWC is smaller and better looking as well. This would be a big help to convince businesses to install L2 charging stations.

GSP
The half price destination charging program is to market Teslas (people will see them plugged in at hotels and other destinations) as much as to be a convenience for us. There is no reason for Tesla to be giving discounts for J1772s or using any of it's limited bandwith for making HPWC with J1772.

Great destination charger at Bucknell University -- single HPWC alongside a Level 2 J1772 in a big parking lot on campus. Civilization is only a half mile away (restaurants, movie theatre, Barnes and Noble with wi fi) on Market Street. Or stroll around the Bucknell campus.

I was charging at 44 or 46 range miles per hour on two separate days. With a two hour stopover there, this let me bridge the Supercharger gaps between Washington DC and Letchworth State Park in NY near Rochester -- the Grand Canyon of the East.