Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts: US delivery on EU cars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can charge three-phase 230V from a blue industrial socket, Yggdrasill. Gets you 7.4kW/h.
CEE_3P%2BN%2BPE_230V.jpg

Can be wired by your local neighborhood electrician without any doohickeys if you have space for it in your fusebox.

Is that an IEC 60309?

A trip like this won't be doable without working supercharging. A dumb adapter wouldn't void anything, as long as it's to spec all it would do is route power and signals from one place to another. Both use the same type of signaling. The power also ends up in the same place. Do the US and EU cars have different on-board chargers?
Maybe i can contact Tesla and see if they have any ideas - perhaps ordering the car with a US connector and swapping it out once in Europe. After being in talks with the distributors etc. here in Norway i'm not confident they will be very helpful in a matter like this, is there anyone within Tesla in the US i can contact?

From what I've read, I believe the chargers are different. US cars have a single charger designed to handle 240V split phase at up to 10 kW.

European cars have a charger that's designed to balance the load on three phase - three smaller chargers in one box, rated for 11 kW I believe.

(Both cars are available with a second box to double the amperage it can absorb, to 20 kW and 22 kW.)
Walter

A bit late in the day but this might help other readers. If I understand the issue right - you want to order an EU spec MS and pick it up in the US, do your road trip and then ship the MS back to Norway and carry on as normal?

The obvious option for rapid charging (at least) is buying an EU CHAdeMO (now available at long last) which will work with all the US CHAdeMO facilities as well as EU ones when you return.

For slow charging then, as others have pointed out, a simple Type 1/J1772 (female) to Type 2 (female) adaptor lead would allow your EU MS to charge from any *tethered* Type 1 EVSE. You would then either need another, much more common, Type 1/J1772 (male) to Type 2 (female) one to do the same with a socketed Type1/J1772 EVSE.

More importably, would any of the car's telematics work?

What happened in the end anyway?