Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on when we'll see a CPU/GPU upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been holding out on upgrading for quite a while. The facelift+AP1 and later AP2 hardware made things more challenging to stay strong but I'm thinking what will really make it tough is when they upgrad the center console screen and/or CPU/GPU with more modern gear. Anyone care to speculate when they think we will see this? Before the M3? After? Once the components they use get more scarce, etc?

• Informative
Reactions: outie
The GTX Titan was a 40X upgrade for AP2....
dunno what runs console computer.
As for waiting to upgrade,
AP2 hardware is def cool,
but the 350KW+ Supercharger level 3 is the MUST have upgrade of the year.
Plus someday when they change the battery on the S/X to the new cell type and maybe we get 120KW+ battery?
I will be trying to save money just to get that battery.
I'll keep my AP1 and free supercharging :D
just want a 120D not this 60D

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining, it's just my wish list!

The GTX Titan was a 40X upgrade for AP2....
dunno what runs console computer.
As for waiting to upgrade,
AP2 hardware is def cool,
but the 350KW+ Supercharger level 3 is the MUST have upgrade of the year.
Plus someday when they change the battery on the S/X to the new cell type and maybe we get 120KW+ battery?
I will be trying to save money just to get that battery.
I'll keep my AP1 and free supercharging :D
just want a 120D not this 60D

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining, it's just my wish list!
Good point. I forgot about the v3 supercharging. That is definitely a game changer.

30 more months before I have to start thinking like this so...:) I'm mainly interested in the CPU upgrade for supporting something like Android Auto (and a Spotify app?!) and the interior upgrades Volvo-Hire-Guy is no doubt already working on. Beyond that, I'm hoping to trade my current ride for an X rocking the above + AP2 and a 120kw battery with whatever is after Ludicrous+

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I am curious if people are mostly concerned with the sluggishness of the browser or the slight sluggishness of the nav is bothersome.

The browser is annoying to me but I don't think a faster chip will do much in the way of that - it's mostly software related IMO.

The biggest annoyance to me is the navigon turn by turn navigation behind the steering wheel... It responds so slowly sometimes it makes it difficult to figure out which way to turn... This usually happens when you start a route coming out of a parking lot for example. I've turned the wrong way dozens times because of it

Last edited:
The center console is actually snappy enough for me now. 8.0 made a big difference with that. Of course if you use a USB drive full of thousands of files YMMV. I'm all Bluetooth and FM radio so no problems for me. The only time I use the browser is for the Tesla Waze site which works well enough as long as you're not trying to move the map around, which I don't. I just keep it centered and let it follow me

Good point. I forgot about the v3 supercharging. That is definitely a game changer.
Don't count on MS/X cars in the next few years being able to charge at >350kW, that high rate will likely be for the Tesla Bus or some similar vehicle. If MS/X can charge at that rate in the next few years it would constitute an unprecedented breakthrough in battery tech, which isn't impossible, but it's unlikely.

Don't count on MS/X cars in the next few years being able to charge at >350kW, that high rate will likely be for the Tesla Bus or some similar vehicle. If MS/X can charge at that rate in the next few years it would constitute an unprecedented breakthrough in battery tech, which isn't impossible, but it's unlikely.

Why would a bus battery be able to charge faster than a car battery ? Apologies if this is obvious to some, I'm not much in the charging/battery chemistry department but I did figure that when Elon mentioned <15 minute charging he was talking in the next couple of years and was referring to cars, not busses. I get that megabatteries could take a higher amp charging supply but I also saw that companies like Porsche were teasing 15 minute charge times as well and they don't make busses as far as I know. If it's true I'm happy that my car won't go obsolete as quickly.

Why would a bus battery be able to charge faster than a car battery ? Apologies if this is obvious to some, I'm not much in the charging/battery chemistry department but I did figure that when Elon mentioned <15 minute charging he was talking in the next couple of years and was referring to cars, not busses. I get that megabatteries could take a higher amp charging supply but I also saw that companies like Porsche were teasing 15 minute charge times as well and they don't make busses as far as I know. If it's true I'm happy that my car won't go obsolete as quickly.
We discussed this in the investors forum starting with this post: 2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

Edit: and it continues here: 2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion and here: 2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion (forgot how many posts there are on other topics in between).

It's not impossible, but it's (imo) very unlikely.

Last edited: