Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Tesla Warranty, CPO, Service, and Other Policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, Several weeks ago i took a friend to a SC and he looked at a few CPO's. he asked to see service records on one about which he was debating and the SC person pulled them up on his desktop and shared the view. In the end my friend did not buy, but it is news to me that they would not share service records. Does this denial of information reflect a Tesla policy? Somehow I wonder if that is just CPO teething problems.

There are some serious issues being presented and i'd like to understand more details. As several threads point out these issues affect all of us regarding resale value if nothing else.

My only exposure to the issues being raised here is that single visit to look at a CPO, so I really want to educate myself.

We probably will not see CarFax anytime soon, and that has been my typical used car reference means, apart from owner records. I have never bought a CPO although i did help work of designing two of them for manufacturers. The ones I worked on precisely replicated the new car warranty in the CPO program when they were launched, although both have since gradually introduced limitations.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I requested the service history the day I took delivery of our '12 CPO S85 and the history was emailed to me a few days later. It looks like they printed it out, placed a sticky note over the previous owners' info, and scanned/emailed it to me. I got no push-back whatsoever when I requested it.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I requested the service history the day I took delivery of our '12 CPO S85 and the history was emailed to me a few days later. It looks like they printed it out, placed a sticky note over the previous owners' info, and scanned/emailed it to me. I got no push-back whatsoever when I requested it.

And this is exactly what I've been requesting. I don't care if I don't get the original PDFs and I don't care about the customer's previous info. I explicitly said they could print out the stuff, cover up the customer data, and give me photocopies of that. All I ever got was "we'll look into it." Very, very disappointing.

The reply-to email address to Elon's recent referral email is [email protected].

I received a call from a Tesla rep 12 hours after I sent the first email. I have not confirmed this yet with my SC but the during the call I asked specifically about the CPO vehicle(s) service history and the rep repeatedly said that the service center would provide it if asked. I plan on stopping by the Dania SC on monday to see if this is the case.

I received a call from a Tesla rep 12 hours after I sent the first email. I have not confirmed this yet with my SC but the during the call I asked specifically about the CPO vehicle(s) service history and the rep repeatedly said that the service center would provide it if asked. I plan on stopping by the Dania SC on monday to see if this is the case.
I just was in a loaner while Tesla fixed a minor paint boo boo that was on the vehicle at delivery. The loaner was a P85+, and while it was near-like-new, the right side mirror didn't move properly when in reverse and it suffered the dreaded "droning at 70+mph" drive unit issue. For fun, I checked the CPO page with the stock number of the loaner, and it's for sale as a CPO.

I have no idea whether Tesla would do the "certification" work before delivering it to a buyer, but another data point illustrating that extreme diligence is needed when purchasing a Tesla CPO.

It would be great if this becomes standard policy so you know, they can be at least as transparent as a regular car dealer :)

Seriously though, this is great news that they did this for you as it seems to be a first. Do you mind posting the service history they shared with you so we can see the level of detail they offer?

Of course you can redact any personal details and even the VIN number of the car but it would be nice to see what a Tesla service record looks like...

Tesla's claim (to me at least) is that in some states, it's illegal for Tesla to release such info (maybe the states it's illegal for Tesla to even wear a uniform when transporting your car perhaps) and thus, they just refuse to deal with it on a state-by-state basis and its policy not to share it across the U.S.

Tesla's claim (to me at least) is that in some states, it's illegal for Tesla to release such info (maybe the states it's illegal for Tesla to even wear a uniform when transporting your car perhaps) and thus, they just refuse to deal with it on a state-by-state basis and its policy not to share it across the U.S.

I know of no states where they forbid car dealers from disclosing the service, maintenance, and repair history of a car being sold so it sounds like a nonsensical excuse to me... CarFax shares some of this information and they operate in every state of the US. Add to that the fact that every single car dealer would share the service history of a car when requested makes this excuse even more silly.

This horrible policy makes it all the more nonsensical that in your case, Tesla is actually refusing the share the maintenance and service history of the car with the actual owner of the car!

This policy is so absurd and so not customer friendly that it sounds like a satirical headline you'd read on the The Onion:

"Car dealer refuses to share maintenance and repair history of car to protect car buyer from the car's service history." :rolleyes:

I just was in a loaner while Tesla fixed a minor paint boo boo that was on the vehicle at delivery. The loaner was a P85+, and while it was near-like-new, the right side mirror didn't move properly when in reverse and it suffered the dreaded "droning at 70+mph" drive unit issue. For fun, I checked the CPO page with the stock number of the loaner, and it's for sale as a CPO.

I have no idea whether Tesla would do the "certification" work before delivering it to a buyer, but another data point illustrating that extreme diligence is needed when purchasing a Tesla CPO.

Wouldnt issues like this be covered under the CPO warranty?

Wouldnt issues like this be covered under the CPO warranty?

All mechanical components should be covered under the CPO warranty but it is still best to do due diligence when buying any used car, CPO or not.

Requesting and going over the comprehensive service/repair history of the car as well as a Pre Purchase Inspection at a body shop IMHO are two very basic things that should be done when buying a used car. It will perhaps take an hour or two but then you know if the car has been in any accidents definitively and whether such damage was properly fixed. Also you will know the repair history of the car and what if any issues have already been addressed.