Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

This can't be good, front motor issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14k miles, long range AWD

Mobile service appt scheduled.

I started noticing a knocking noise while going over bumps at slow speeds while the accelerator pedal is not pressed (regen braking). I lifted the vehicle and I think that I reproduced the noise by oscillating the front wheel back and forth. I then took out the frunk bin and inspected the motor area - and it is the internals of the motor that is knocking when I oscillate the wheels. There's quite a bit of oil on the parts down there and on the flat plastic undercarriage. I don't know if the noise I hear while driving is actually this knocking, but the oil is very concerning. I've heard about loose tie rods etc. but all my suspension bolts are tight. The video shows everything. Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NHyLhB43b94Jqys9

Attachments

• 20200813_192435.jpg
    20200813_192435.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 142
I'm no expert, but oil shouldn't be there. I don't know what "normal" is when you shake the wheel, some of that could be typical driveline lash. But the leaking oil looks like a smoking gun to me.

The symptoms seem odd to me, though. It was my understanding that the front motor wasn't involved with regen, and I can't see how the motor internals would care about going over a bump. Might have more than one thing going on.

Difficult to tell from either your video or picture. But I would suspect the CV joint rather than the motor. Typical of a worn out CV joint that it make a noise when not under load but operates perfectly quietly when under load. Also they are loaded with moly grease - if there is the slightest leak in the joint boot you will loose the grease resulting in failure of the CV joint. So - rattle and grease adds up to failed boot, followed by failed CV joint.

Reactions: android04
Oil down there would either be CV joint axle seal or motor casing gasket. If the motor was low on oil I'd expect a warning, but who knows, you might be getting a new front drive unit.

I've actually got a leaking axle seal right now, no weird noises though, service visit on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I actually couldn't see the oil you mentioned. I did hear someone mention it's "rusty oil" I think? And I do see a kind of dirty spot I think. Looks like it's right near the chiller, I think. Are you sure it's not just dirt collecting around the water/condensation from the chiller? That would be pretty benign (even common, really), and could be mistaken for an oil patch collecting gunk. But I'll take your word that it's oil of some sort. In which case, I guess, enjoy your new front drive unit?

I'm no expert, but oil shouldn't be there. I don't know what "normal" is when you shake the wheel, some of that could be typical driveline lash. But the leaking oil looks like a smoking gun to me.

The symptoms seem odd to me, though. It was my understanding that the front motor wasn't involved with regen, and I can't see how the motor internals would care about going over a bump. Might have more than one thing going on.

Front motor is used for regen at low speeds (sometimes, it's slightly more complicated than that) or when in reverse. Speed bumps through a parking lot, front motor is likely being used. Speed bumps on a residential street, less likely but possible.

Reactions: TomB985
From the pic posted, that's not a leaking CV boot. I know leaking CV boots. You will have a spray pattern that comes from the spinning axle throwing the grease in a nice donut pattern in the surrounding area. What you have is oil seeping from the gearbox casing seals or the axle seal on the gearbox.

Even though there's only 1 moving part in the motor, there's still a ton of things to go wrong with a Tesla, such as gearbox oil leak, motor coolant leak, sensors failing, computers, power supplies, the rest of a normal suspension and drivetrain, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors