Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware F750 Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My F750 takes about 30 minutes under clear sky to acquire a GPS fix.

Boot time is a non-issue for Teslas since it's constantly on and never needs to reboot. It's only an issue for ICE cars because the camera needs to shutdown after a while to prevent draining their 12V battery.

My 750 is hardwired, dual channel F & R - about 15-20 seconds from car entry. No issues with GPS. Latest firmware.

Unit is hypersensitive in parking + motion mode even with lowest setting. But it does have an excellent video and file transfer capability to the mobile device.

Used the PC software a couple of times - nice to have to have the GPS logging with F & R video sync. I am sure that the other competitors are of equal capabilities but the ThinkWare really delivers on all points for me.

The only feature that would be nice to have - auto-save to the cloud for incidents and motion detected similar to how the RING door units work

Last edited:
Cons:
- App is new and not feature complete -- the biggest "miss" from my perspective is that although you can view and download videos onto your smartphone, you can't do anything with them after that (like save to Photos or email to someone).
Since this was posted 10 months ago, was wondering if the app update has made it more robust as the reviews aren't that great on the apple (iPhone) side but neither are they great on the BlackVue either?

Also, regarding bollar's complaint, are you now able to download onto your iPhone and then forward them either via email or sms?

Lastly, a WiFi question: When I had a BlackVue in my Model S, it would connect automatically to WiFi when I got into the car but then would not allow access to my ISP from my phone unless I disconnected either from WiFi or from that WiFi. If I did not have it connect automatically and then wanted to access the BlackVue, I had to go through the whole process of connecting. Is this any different?

Thanx; looking to pull the trigger this week! ;)

Also, regarding bollar's complaint, are you now able to download onto your iPhone and then forward them either via email or sms?
Yes, the Thinkware iOS app allows you to save downloaded videos to your photo album, then you can do whatever you want with them in the built-in Photos app.

Lastly, a WiFi question: When I had a BlackVue in my Model S, it would connect automatically to WiFi when I got into the car but then would not allow access to my ISP from my phone unless I disconnected either from WiFi or from that WiFi. If I did not have it connect automatically and then wanted to access the BlackVue, I had to go through the whole process of connecting. Is this any different?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. The F750 acts as a WiFi access point and your phone connects to it. While your phone is connected to the F750, you will not be able to access the internet. The F750 also cannot connect to an existing WiFi access point.

The F750 acts as a WiFi access point and your phone connects to it. While your phone is connected to the F750, you will not be able to access the internet.
So this is the case with either the Thinkware F750 and/or the BlackVue DRG650. Makes sense, I just wanted to validate that I wasn't missing something on either or a setting on my iPhone. Thanx :(
PS-Just looked at another post where they put up some pix: Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy - $310, including 32 Gig Card

Last edited:
Like the Thinkware a lot, but I can NOT get a GPS Lock. (I do have my Easypass covering up the black area on the windshield to the right of the mirror. Dashcam is a few inches below. Does anyone know of a good GPS repeater, where I could put the receive antenna on the rear window perhaps?

Thanks
Bruce

While I have not used the Blackvue, I have found the F770 with rear cam to be absolutely rock solid. I don't have an issue with GPS lock. The visual quality is good. The unit has enough resolution to activate motion recording during night time hours even with lighting changing halfway down the block. The rear camera has already assisted in one incident where a driver behind me hit my car at a stoplight after he said his flip-flop got stuck on the accelerator. Sorry for his luck but the video was good and quickly proved he was at fault.

The unit operates without a lot of user intervention and the video either recorded by motion, continuous, manual or incident is there when I need it to reference

Reactions: Mjølner
While I have not used the Blackvue, I have found the F770 with rear cam to be absolutely rock solid. I don't have an issue with GPS lock. The visual quality is good. The unit has enough resolution to activate motion recording during night time hours even with lighting changing halfway down the block. The rear camera has already assisted in one incident where a driver behind me hit my car at a stoplight after he said his flip-flop got stuck on the accelerator. Sorry for his luck but the video was good and quickly proved he was at fault.

The unit operates without a lot of user intervention and the video either recorded by motion, continuous, manual or incident is there when I need it to reference

Nice to hear. Will order it for my upcoming X.
Thanks

One thing that is not specific to any dash cam is that services like parking valets, repair facilities (including Tesla) and car washes will often disconnect the power wires to your dash cam (assuming to protect them from any negligence that might occur under their work with your car). Tesla facilities are supposed to notify you that they will disconnect your units while in repair. Be sure to check your units after such a service to ensure you have the unit powered and active.