Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S radar detector mirror tap - switched power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I decided to make this post since there's not a lot of information out there for the Tesla Model S (but plenty for the 3).

Ingredients needed:
Valentine 1 Gen2, electronic warfare countermeasures unit
Blendmount hardwire kit, MTX-1015
(Optional - you can use the suction cup kit as well) V1 permanent mount from eBay

The cool thing is that this install is extremely easy, because there is a 12V switched power source right on the rear view mirror.

Step 1. The Tesla has a metallic film on the front windshield, but there's a 4" by 4" section next to the right of the rearview mirror that doesn't have this metal shielding. Clean the area nicely with isopropyl alcohol so you get good adhesion and test fit the mounting place so you get an idea where it will go.

Step 2. Remove the cap behind the mirror arm by prying the cover gently with a plastic trim tool wedge, or a stiff plastic credit card. One you have leverage, this cap should pull easily down and towards the front of the car.

Step 3. From the Blendmount hardwire kit, thread the RJ-11 radar detector hardwire cable through the headliner and into the mirror cap area. Leave enough slack towards the radar unit, there should be plenty. You can pull slightly on the front camera cover cap corner and thread it through there as well. Do it from the hardwire end into the headliner as to not break off the delicate RJ-11 connector tab.

Step 4. Connect your mirror tap 12V power and ground leads into the wiring harness. For 12V switched power, use the two end wires on the harness: black/white striped wire is ground and red/blue striped wire is +12V Accessory. Note that older Model S' have different color wiring, but the accessory and ground are in the same location. Use a voltmeter to confirm the right polarity of the source.

You can use the 2nd or 3rd wire taps from the kit as seen below, those seem to fit snugly behind the harness.

Step 6. With a voltmeter, verify that you have 13.x V measured from the end of the red wire and the black ground wire.

Step 7. Plug in your radar detector into the RJ-11 plug and turn it on.

Step 8. Once all is verified, secure the wires with electrical tape, and use a heat gun to heat the tiny shrink tube over the tapped wires.

Step 9. Put back the mirror arm cover, ensuring that nothing is pinched.

Step 10. Enjoy!

In order to verify that your radar detector is switching off when locking and walking away from the car, just lock your car, and in about 5 minutes, the radar detector should go dark.

When you open the door with your key fob, you should hear the unit power back on and hear the tones, that way you know you're on switched power.

So I decided to make this post since there's not a lot of information out there for the Tesla Model S (but plenty for the 3).

Ingredients needed:
Valentine 1 Gen2, electronic warfare countermeasures unit
Blendmount hardwire kit, MTX-1015
(Optional - you can use the suction cup kit as well) V1 permanent mount from eBay

The cool thing is that this install is extremely easy, because there is a 12V switched power source right on the rear view mirror.

Step 1. The Tesla has a metallic film on the front windshield, but there's a 4" by 4" section next to the right of the rearview mirror that doesn't have this metal shielding. Clean the area nicely with isopropyl alcohol so you get good adhesion and test fit the mounting place so you get an idea where it will go.

Step 2. Remove the cap behind the mirror arm by prying the cover gently with a plastic trim tool wedge, or a stiff plastic credit card. One you have leverage, this cap should pull easily down and towards the front of the car.

Step 3. From the Blendmount hardwire kit, thread the RJ-11 radar detector hardwire cable through the headliner and into the mirror cap area. Leave enough slack towards the radar unit, there should be plenty. You can pull slightly on the front camera cover cap corner and thread it through there as well. Do it from the hardwire end into the headliner as to not break off the delicate RJ-11 connector tab.

Step 4. Connect your mirror tap 12V power and ground leads into the wiring harness. For 12V switched power, use the two end wires on the harness: black/white striped wire is ground and red/blue striped wire is +12V Accessory. Note that older Model S' have different color wiring, but the accessory and ground are in the same location. Use a voltmeter to confirm the right polarity of the source.

You can use the 2nd or 3rd wire taps from the kit as seen below, those seem to fit snugly behind the harness.

Step 6. With a voltmeter, verify that you have 13.x V measured from the end of the red wire and the black ground wire.

Step 7. Plug in your radar detector into the RJ-11 plug and turn it on.

Step 8. Once all is verified, secure the wires with electrical tape, and use a heat gun to heat the tiny shrink tube over the tapped wires.

Step 9. Put back the mirror arm cover, ensuring that nothing is pinched.

Step 10. Enjoy!

In order to verify that your radar detector is switching off when locking and walking away from the car, just lock your car, and in about 5 minutes, the radar detector should go dark.

When you open the door with your key fob, you should hear the unit power back on and hear the tones, that way you know you're on switched power.
Can’t see any images. Can you upload them?

This writeup and the one picture is great. I don't see any room where my headliner meets the windshield to put anything through. I can get a wire through the lower right corner of the camera cover. Since your original pictures didn't post can you post a picture of the wire coming out of the spliced area to the radar detector, and if you have it a picture of the Blendmount connecting to the mirror plug?
Thanks so much.
mJd5cxc.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Where are you mounting the radar unit? Mine is on the windshield to the right of the mirror, where the Tesla manual says you should mount it to minimize the impact of the metallic coating on the windshield. You gotta thread the wire under the headliner and pass it towards the mirror housing arm.

Looking for some confirmation that there is a switched 12v on a 2014 P85 no AP. Mixed reviews so far and honestly, testing switched power in this car isn't as easy as my other push button starts...

There's a switched power in the center console.

Attachments

• CD-15-17-001_Model_S_Spare_12V_Power_Circuit_R1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
Right kick panel fuse box, first 15A blue fuse on left column, 3 or 4 down. I used it for my windshield mount Valentine One detector. Tap-a-fuse Micro2 type adapter to attach. Switches on and off. Goes on when you open door to get in, off when closing door after exiting car.

Last edited:
Reactions: We Are Venom
This thread was incredibly helpful. I just used it to wire up my Uniden R7 in my 2016.5 P90D. My wire colors were different behind the mirror but placement was the same as noted. I used the $15 mirror tap package off of Amazon that comes with 3 of different sizes. The smallest one worked wonderfully. Also, taking a tip from someone on Vortex Radar, I modified a visor mount bracket and shoved it above the headliner where the headliner meets the windshield. It is a much more stealth install than the windshield suction cup as I have a personal problem with stuff stuck to my windshields. It could be a little more study install as for the bracket but it is worth it to keep everything off of the windshield and better away from prying eyes. I would've used a blendmount but, as everyone knows, one is not available for the MS. Also, I will say that I tested the placement on my windshield and I seemed to get a good signal regardless of where I placed the radar detector. Furthermore I could not see the cutout window on the passenger side of the rearview mirror as others have stated in earlier cars.

Reactions: Intense1 and evfeh
This thread was incredibly helpful. I just used it to wire up my Uniden R7 in my 2016.5 P90D. My wire colors were different behind the mirror but placement was the same as noted. I used the $15 mirror tap package off of Amazon that comes with 3 of different sizes. The smallest one worked wonderfully. Also, taking a tip from someone on Vortex Radar, I modified a visor mount bracket and shoved it above the headliner where the headliner meets the windshield. It is a much more stealth install than the windshield suction cup as I have a personal problem with stuff stuck to my windshields. It could be a little more study install as for the bracket but it is worth it to keep everything off of the windshield and better away from prying eyes. I would've used a blendmount but, as everyone knows, one is not available for the MS. Also, I will say that I tested the placement on my windshield and I seemed to get a good signal regardless of where I placed the radar detector. Furthermore I could not see the cutout window on the passenger side of the rearview mirror as others have stated in earlier cars.
Great to hear it helped. I’ve had this setup for a year and zero issues. How did you mod the visor bracket?

I followed the instructions here: R7 Visor Clip

I also cut off the duckbill portion that went into the headliner so it was just a straight piece of metal. The fitment is too tight and I couldn't get the duckbill portion in there. The straight cut piece does fit.

Additionally, I cut off a portion of the bracket that covers the release button on the R7.

EVFEH --- Thanks for your detailed post. Have enjoyed V1 radar detectors for over 15 years. Have the Gen 2 model now on my Fiat 124 Spider, and am awaiting the Tesla 2022 Roadster. Lived in Joliet Illinois during Grade School and High School years. Am in Southern CA now.

Reactions: evfeh