Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The supercharger overbilled me because it had an incorrect time! Tesla declined my complaint!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent. If somehow Tesla contacts you again about this, @power.saver is right - the charging session should have charged the first X minutes at one rate, then dropped to the lower rate after midnight.

It's super silly that one might need to sit idle at a charger for 3 minutes to wait for the stroke of midnight to plug in... especially if the superchargers aren't even time synchronized.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla does not do credit card pre-authorizations. They just bill you for what you use. If you don't have the credit available on your card, the balance stays on the car/Tesla account and your Supercharging is restricted until you clear your balance.

I had a $3.50 idle fee on my account for nearly 3 weeks and they never charged my card nor restrict my Supercharging.

After creating a dispute the bank is responsible for investigating who is right.
They are Tesla and they have an invoice, I'm a car owner and have no hard proof (maybe except my Google Maps history).
Guess who is more trustful for the bank.

In my opinion, the impact is bigger if more people hear stories like this, than the $19 dispute.

I posted it to share my disappointment and check if there is anybody else who had a similar experience. And it looks like I'm not alone.
My experience is if you can tell a story that seems credible, you can prevail even if you can't prove all of the elements. I had a case where I returned a part that wasn't correct for my BBQ. The vendor never credited my card after the return. I disputed the original charge, and the vendor claimed they didn't receive the returned part and didn't authorize my return. I had the email from them saying to send it back, but no receipt to prove I had sent it, or that they received it.

It was enough.

Last edited:
I already heard that Tesla's customer service is terrible.
Maybe Amazon spoiled me with its customer service, and I need to accept different standards :)
Amazon billed me for over $800 for a package sent to an Amazon locker, not picked up by me, order cancel, returned by UPS, never refunded. They just delayed with every contact. Refused to refund. I requested a chargeback. THEN, they told MasterCard/Citi that it was a valid charge while sending them UPS tracking that said it was returned to them. So, theft. Citi reversed the chargeback and I didn't catch this until a few minutes after midnight on the due date (I've been sick- cancer, and I hadn't used this card, 3% all transactions on SoFi), so interest... YAY. I contacted legal and got nowhere. I contacted the executive team and the alternate between telling me that they can't help because of timing and completely ignoring my contact.
Now, I have to deal with the court system because I have to take them to small claims court.

So, yeah, Amazon isn't that great. I'd even say terrible. I hope you called again and a better agent fixed this for you.